Make a donation

Author Topic: Car wash shopping list...  (Read 3707 times)

Offline duncan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Car wash shopping list...
« on: March 12, 2009, 05:10:39 pm »
am trying to compile a good shopping list of cleaning products for my Candy White GTI

how does this list look?

am going to be doing most of my washing on the street and do not have access to a hose - can this be done?

have read about the 2 bucket method, and it seems that one bucket is used with the shampoo and the other to rinse the Mit.

stupid question but do you then just reload the buckets with fresh water to wash off the shampoo?

here is the list:

Extra Gloss Protection - Autoglym
Versa-Angle Wheel Face Brush
Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner - Meguiars
Perfect Polishing Cloth - Autoglym
Super Resin Polish - Autoglym
Water Magnet Drying Towel - Meguiars
2 x Bucket & Grit Guard Set
Lambswool Wash Mitt
Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner - Meguiars
SONUS  Perfect Glass Kit (£24!!!!)

anything ive missed off the list or dont need?
Candy white GTI, MRC tuning Remap - the rest will remain standard...

Offline Moschops

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
Re: Car wash shopping list...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 08:02:59 pm »
Duncan,

Ideally you need access to a hose to at least pre wash the car before you start washing and also to wash off the shampoo once you have done that stage. Without one it's gonna be a lot of tooing and froing with the buckets.

Personally I don't use the 2 bucket method although my bucket does have a grit guard, but I have access to a hose pipe.

Ditch the Autoglym polishing cloths, have a look here or on ebay and buy some good quality drying towels, waffle weave drying clothes and some polishing towels. One for onski and one or several for offski... :wink:

Linky...http://autoperfectionworld.co.uk/catalog/index.php

Autoglym Super Resin polish is okay, but it leaves a white residue, some of the meguiars products don't. I use Dodo Juice Supernatural on mine and also use the Dodo Juice shampoo as it's nice and mild and won't strip the wax off.

Hope some of this helps, it's each to there own on how you wash your pride and joy.

Cheers  :happy2:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:05:14 pm by Moschops »
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline duncan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 08:30:13 pm »
Duncan,

Ideally you need access to a hose to at least pre wash the car before you start washing and also to wash off the shampoo once you have done that stage. Without one it's gonna be a lot of tooing and froing with the buckets.

Personally I don't use the 2 bucket method although my bucket does have a grit guard, but I have access to a hose pipe.

Ditch the Autoglym polishing cloths, have a look here or on ebay and buy some good quality drying towels, waffle weave drying clothes and some polishing towels. One for onski and one or several for offski... :wink:

Linky...http://autoperfectionworld.co.uk/catalog/index.php

Autoglym Super Resin polish is okay, but it leaves a white residue, some of the meguiars products don't. I use Dodo Juice Supernatural on mine and also use the Dodo Juice shampoo as it's nice and mild and won't strip the wax off.

Hope some of this helps, it's each to there own on how you wash your pride and joy.

Cheers  :happy2:

Thanks for that

am very new to actually washing a car propperly and since my car is candy white am going to have to try and keep it as clean as i can!

as for washing procedure is this about right?

prewash to soften up the dirt,
shampoo with lambswool mit
rinse with lambswool mit
dry with shammy
polish - not sure what kind of cloth to use
sealer?
then wax?

- so if i start from scatch what products do you think i should go for from start to finish - ignoring that list.  if you could provide links that would be great but if not im sure ill be able to find them.

there is a jet wash at a petrol station very near my flat which i could use which might get round the whole not having a hose thing, but have heard that jet washes can cause problems with scratches

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 08:45:25 pm »
Ditch your shammy, get some drying towels, you've also got a water magnet on your list, use that. But buy a small towell for the door shuts and round the bonnet and boot shuts too.

Rinse, I just use the hose pipe to wash it all off. Then get the water magnet or drying towels on it.

I don't polish, I just put the wax on mine and have had no problems so far.

Leave the jet was alone unless your car is really manky or you want to do up under the arches, the hose picks up all sorts of crap and also if you use the brush you may end up having someone elses crap left in the brush spread over your pride and joy.. :jumping:

Shampoo

http://autoperfectionworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=304

Drying

http://autoperfectionworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=358

or these

http://autoperfectionworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=347

One of these for the wheels

http://autoperfectionworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=44&products_id=329

Wax applicators, Maguiars also do something similar. You can also use these on your wheels too.

http://autoperfectionworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=262

Wax, this is what I use on my Candy Girls...

http://autoperfectionworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=301

And one of these to buff it all off with

http://autoperfectionworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=306

This cloth is brilliant, the wife calls it the Cookie Monster cloth (Seaseme Street), because of it's colour and furryness :laugh:

Hope this is of some help.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:49:14 pm by Moschops »
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 08:55:11 pm »
Oh...forgot to add, although this stuff isn't cheap, if you chuck the cloths and pads in the washing machine (no fabric softner mind) afterwards you make em last longer and they will be clean the next time you use them.. :happy2:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline duncan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 09:12:54 pm »
Great!

Thanks alot for that wayne! they all look great - must be very satisfying when you get to the waxing stage!

how long does it take you from start to finish?

also what products would you use to clean the wheels and glass? does glass need a special cloth?

Cheers

Duncan

Offline duncan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 09:15:34 pm »
also what do you think of this kit? http://autoperfectionworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=365

when do you have to clay the car and what does this do?

have heard lots about protecting the body work with different products but is that really needed - doesnt a good waxing do the same job?

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 09:27:28 pm »
You got PM :happy2:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 10:09:32 pm »
am going to be doing most of my washing on the street and do not have access to a hose - can this be done?

It can be. Some people in the past have used watering cans with the rose attachment to gently rinse off the car. Getting at the lower panels is gonna be a bit difficult.

I've previously washed my old car relying on (well-rinsed) buckets to rinse the car. That was from a 1st floor flat involving three doors and two flights of stairs. It's possible but it's a bit of a hassle. Took me something like 4-5 hours and all I did was shampoo, clay and wax.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline autoperfection.com

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 28
  • autoperfection.com
    • autoperfection shop
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 11:10:37 am »
Great!

Thanks alot for that wayne! they all look great - must be very satisfying when you get to the waxing stage!

how long does it take you from start to finish?

also what products would you use to clean the wheels and glass? does glass need a special cloth?

Cheers

Duncan

For the wheels I would recomend bilberry safe wheel cleaner (dilutes well and cleans brilliantly) and as for the glass you can use an ordinary microfibre - a glass specific one is good, but not essential.
In your situation I would recomend at least one bucket and grit guard but as said for rinsing I think a hose would be the best but if you cant do that then watering cans with the heads on will be fine.
I would go for a decent shampoo so the cleaning power is good and rinses off easier - some of the cheaper types are hard to rinse and in your situation rinsing is probably a priority.

The process would be - Wash - Rinse then Dry.
once or twice a year clay
Pre wax cleanse once or twice a year
Wax - as often as you feel like or at least every 2-3 months if using a carnauba wax.

Alternatively you could have it detailed by a pro first and then maintain it your self

Hope this helps - any more info needed please ask.

JIM

Offline duncan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 06:39:02 pm »
Thanks for that jim

did end up going to halfords to pick up a few bits as i only had a small window to wash my car while i was at my mums - no hose when i go to london.

i bought autoglym shampoo and Resin polish - along with autoglym glass polish

what i do need which i will probably order from you guys is some wheel cleaner, a grit guard and some decent wax - havnt you guys got a sample pot of some dodo wax for £12? how many applications would that be good for?

also if i place an order tomorrow morning would it get here by friday?

Thanks again for the advice jim and if you take orders on the phone please let me know your number so i could have a quick chat about what to get

Thanks again

Duncan 

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 11:01:30 pm »
Here you go Duncan.

Jim Higginson

Perfection Detailer

Mobile: 07884 266696