Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2591704 times)

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11160 on: May 25, 2018, 06:08:27 pm »
They are gorgeous...I never did a weight comparison with mine...I wonder now. Mine are Porsche 993 calipers and I have come to want new GTI caliper stickers to cover the ECS Tuning on them. Going to a vinyl shop to ask what they can come up with for high heat vinyl.

Yours are good looking too and should be light. If you upgraded from the OEM brakes you never had heavy front brake discs like I had before. :doh: :happy2:

Since now I had to get the calipers painted red, I opted for the GTI letters, like the new mk7 GTI Pack Performance have. Just make sure to check the adequate size of the letters for your calipers and that the vinyl letters are protected with a coat of heat  resistant clear varnish.  :smiley:
Right, I opted for the two-piece rotors. The lettering I was thinking I should make a template to take into the vinyl shop and then I give the final OK before they make them. Yes, definitely do not want to ignore the heat factor and so will deal with it when they are produced and installed.  :drinking:
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #11161 on: May 26, 2018, 11:34:06 pm »
Took off the Powerflex ALK, front bushing and lower engine insert.
Replaced with OEM front bushings, TT console bushings and THS FR3 lower engine mount. All with new bolts.
Hopefully the THS mounts wear in a bit cos right now the NVH is crazy but downshifts on the DSG are sharp and not jerky

Ps Black series Powerflex ALK, front bushings and insert for sale, PM me

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #11162 on: May 27, 2018, 03:54:13 pm »
Good work chap.  Let us know what you think of the TT consoles.  I had a set a while back but opted for the Superpro ones instead to get a bit more caster.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11163 on: May 27, 2018, 04:00:12 pm »
Perfect day for a spot of painting in the garden. No one likes faded grey plastics. 

I did initially try the £30 ebay chinese grille which is shinyish plastic but I wasn't happy with the quality, so decided to paint the originals instead.

Paints used - Plasti-kote 'Satin Super' for the grilles from B&Q (multi-surface compatible so doesn't need plastic primer), Halfords Tornado red for the pin stripe with a top coat of U-Pol Clear 1 laquer.

Look so much better!

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
H&R anti roll/sway bar purchased
« Reply #11164 on: May 28, 2018, 09:46:31 am »
I was after a ARB upgrade for my 4motion but wanted it to look OEM, I was set on H&R but got confirmation from them that their set was blue (33220-1). I was about to pull the trigger on a new set for £333 only to respray them black, when I came across a nearly new set for half that!  :happy2:

Just repainting then in the garden and will get the rear one fitted next weekend. Hopefully it will drive fine until I get the front on in a few months time. 4WD has a bit more understeer than 2WD, so the H&R kit is Solid 26mm Rear/24mm front.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:48:24 am by Stupots »
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline jb111s

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #11165 on: May 28, 2018, 11:55:09 am »
Perfect day for a spot of painting in the garden. No one likes faded grey plastics. 

I did initially try the £30 ebay chinese grille which is shinyish plastic but I wasn't happy with the quality, so decided to paint the originals instead.

Paints used - Plasti-kote 'Satin Super' for the grilles from B&Q (multi-surface compatible so doesn't need plastic primer), Halfords Tornado red for the pin stripe with a top coat of U-Pol Clear 1 laquer.

Look so much better!

Ooh contemplating buying a new set but this looks good. How easily does the red bit pop off? Could you post pics of it on?

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 78
What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11166 on: May 28, 2018, 02:39:47 pm »
Good work chap.  Let us know what you think of the TT consoles.  I had a set a while back but opted for the Superpro ones instead to get a bit more caster.
Ta matey
So far so good with the TT consoles! PF ALK had to be finally removed as my back wasn’t having it anymore. Really hoping the THS mount calms the f*ck down otherwise I’ll be replacing with brand new OEM Gti mount. NVH makes it seem as if I’ve a bitch of a subwoofer in the motor!

Ps The squelchy noise I used to have when going over humps has gone from the top mounts now...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 04:40:36 pm by MIJ_JAGGER »

Offline SpudGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11167 on: May 28, 2018, 06:17:06 pm »
Gave mine a good clean in and out then went to weston-super-mare and found a play mate in a C63 AMG convert wasnt to bad against it stopped and had a chat about cars he was quite impressed he couldnt leave me standing said i had a very smart GTI well looked after and even took me out in his haha what a day in the

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #11168 on: May 29, 2018, 06:56:41 am »

Look so much better!

Ooh contemplating buying a new set but this looks good. How easily does the red bit pop off? Could you post pics of it on?

I painted my one a year or so ago. It looks better than a new one. Removing the red stripe isn't that difficult but you need to be patient and careful. It didn't repaint the red stripe as it was still looking good.
I cleaned all the grill pieces with a bottle brush and scrubbing brush in the bath (much to my wife's dismay) and then dried them with an air compressor.
I used a plastic primer, then 3 coats of gloss black followed by 3 coats of clear.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 06:58:52 am by The Red Warrior »

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11169 on: May 30, 2018, 11:30:24 pm »
Made another vid and posted it on my U2B-channel:

K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #11170 on: June 01, 2018, 12:05:43 am »

Look so much better!

Looks real good Pudding :happy2:

I think i may do this on mine. The fog grilles have faded, but the centre honeycomb is worse.
How many coats did you end up doing on the grille?

I've used the Plasti-kote super matt, but i've never seen the Satin Super before.
Is this the same one you used, found it on Amazon > Click Here

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11171 on: June 01, 2018, 04:39:08 pm »
Ta matey
So far so good with the TT consoles! PF ALK had to be finally removed as my back wasn’t having it anymore. Really hoping the THS mount calms the f*ck down otherwise I’ll be replacing with brand new OEM Gti mount. NVH makes it seem as if I’ve a bitch of a subwoofer in the motor!

Ps The squelchy noise I used to have when going over humps has gone from the top mounts now...

Good stuff!  I can't say I noticed anything NVH wise with my PF ALK.  Likewise with the Vibratechnics dogbone + OEM side mounts.  Feels great  :smiley:

That's good to hear.  It's gone from my TT top mounts as well.  Took about a month to shut the hell up!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11172 on: June 01, 2018, 04:43:10 pm »
@Joshy yeah that's the stuff!

I did a few fairly thick coats.  The beauty of not using a plastic primer is when it chips off, it will be black underneath  :grin:

I think it looks alright personally  :smiley:  The reason I had to repaint my pinstripe was because it had really bad laquer peel, and stone chips.  That also came out pretty good I thought!

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #11173 on: June 01, 2018, 05:50:46 pm »
Looks good @Pudding ! Good work and much cheaper than a new grill. :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11174 on: June 01, 2018, 06:00:02 pm »
Looks good @Pudding ! Good work and much cheaper than a new grill. :happy2: