Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2607133 times)

Offline Birchy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12660 on: June 18, 2023, 12:48:04 pm »
@GreigC i got 2 front seats I’m ok-ish condition and the seat of seat covers for £250. Considering they would have been about 1000000x more than that from VW I don’t think I did too bad!

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
« Reply #12661 on: June 19, 2023, 08:30:43 pm »
Car failed an mot for the first time. Was pretty gutted tbh but after 165k and 17 years I suppose it had to happen sometime. Failed on esc not working and torn boots on both front arb links. The esc problem was because I hadn't plugged the switch back in after I fitted a USB port and I  replaced both arb links this evening as I had a new pair in the loft that I bought ages ago for reasons I can't remember.

Offline Birchy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12662 on: June 19, 2023, 08:56:17 pm »
Car failed an mot for the first time. Was pretty gutted tbh but after 165k and 17 years I suppose it had to happen sometime. Failed on esc not working and torn boots on both front arb links. The esc problem was because I hadn't plugged the switch back in after I fitted a USB port and I  replaced both arb links this evening as I had a new pair in the loft that I bought ages ago for reasons I can't remember.

ARB links can be a pig so praying for you that they come off ok!

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
« Reply #12663 on: June 20, 2023, 01:37:52 pm »
Thanks, yes I was a bit apprehensive but they came off without too much of a fight, the worse bit is that there isn't enough room for the head of the spanner on the strut flange to get at the nut.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #12664 on: June 20, 2023, 06:00:57 pm »
Hit this milestone  :smiley:

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #12665 on: June 20, 2023, 08:27:21 pm »
@GreigC i got 2 front seats I’m ok-ish condition and the seat of seat covers for £250. Considering they would have been about 1000000x more than that from VW I don’t think I did too bad!

The seats look great. Can i ask where you got the covers from? Guessing it was a one off thing and not more available? Thanks

Offline Birchy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12666 on: June 20, 2023, 10:15:45 pm »

The seats look great. Can i ask where you got the covers from? Guessing it was a one off thing and not more available? Thanks

Thanks man, it took a while to get it right and with getting the repairs done to the foam without it being noticeable but I’m pleased with the result.

It was a random post on a mk5 owners group on Facebook. I’ve been on the lookout for either seats or covers for pretty much 2 years. Just bloody lucky I think…maybe should’ve bought a lottery ticket that day?!

Offline skkane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #12667 on: June 22, 2023, 06:03:12 pm »
Replaced a bunch of stuff in the last few days.

Had a custom 76mm exhaust made to replace the old smaller piped rust bucket I had on, cleaned the valves, installed VIS HPFP piston kit, new spark plugs and a Stack boost gauge.

Also had new software + DSG software made, I was expecting 340-350 but not too shabby for 180k miles.... Green is old software, blue is new, power on tap for way more of the revband. Love the sound of the new exhaust.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 08:28:59 am by skkane »
2007 ED30

Offline gj124

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12668 on: June 22, 2023, 09:01:15 pm »
The unusually warm settled weather we've had in the UK has been ideal for some spray painting projects so I went ahead with the task of painting and fitting a (replica) edition 30 splitter. Used 2k clear coat for a hard glossy finish that will hopefully protect it from rocks etc. Definatley needs a polish but I think it looks pretty good. Part was £125 and used around £35 worth of paint. Also fitted a new front lower grill because the old one had faded badly. Front end looking much smarter now. :happy2:

Offline Dogg1210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12669 on: June 25, 2023, 12:05:01 am »
Oil and filter change today

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #12670 on: June 28, 2023, 06:44:48 pm »
Not today, it is Friday, but earlier this week on Monday a new Hitachi MAF sensor arrived.
I went with the Hitachi off Amazon for $113 usd cost, versus the $240 to $300 for genuine VAG...which Bosch and/or Hitachi supply. This Hitachi (UK) had the VAG logo and number on it but were scratched off.

Nearly all hardware has been replaced on mine over the past two years and still the mpg is tough keeping it above 26 mpg. So I planned to replace the MAF first, then the B1S1 O2 sensor.
The MAF arrived Monday and since then its mpg has gone up two mpg, from 26.8 to 28.8 mpg. Driving to the same spots in the same manner. Last time I reset the 'MFD/1' was in May. So its mpg average is increasing rather quickly. Still considering the new O2 (even though it passes the readiness test) for it having been dealing with oil, first from the condition it was in prior to the 2016 engine rebuild, but also from the K04 turbo I replaced in 2021.

Yeah the genuine MAFs are made in the UK now for some reason, so that's some reassurance you got a proper one.

26mpg isn't unusual for a K04 if you're in boost quite a lot.  Mine averages 34mpg on my daily 40 mile commute, which is a mixture of 30-40mph granny trundling and 80-90mph freeway blasting.

Genuine 02s are like £200+ now, but you can get a Bosch aftermarket one for half that though.  It's not as good. No gold pins in the plug compared to OEM and the harness isn't quite as good quality but it works  :happy2:
Aren’t you based in the US? If so isn’t your fuel consumption about right based on fact your US gallon is smaller than UK gallon (therefore you would cover less miles)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I let it go one year with the Hitachi MAF with an average of 29.3 mpg (US)/35.2 mpg (IMP). But throughout the last year, I've noticed a lull during light acceleration...felt as though it were waiting on something. I meant to log the MAF data during a quick snap of the throttle to redline, and again for its maximum mass air. But things came up recently and so I just bought another genuine MAF for $270usd; which turns out to also be a Hitachi from GB. Exact markings except for 'VWAG' and its 'PN' were removed from the Hitachi bought last year. I installed the new MAF and drove to town making two stops I normally make. Already feels better during those light throttle situations and made nearly 2 mpg better for the trip. So we'll see if the mpg average improves even more over time.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 03:01:31 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline K03MK5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #12671 on: June 30, 2023, 10:15:08 pm »
MOT time today.  Passed with no advisories. Not bad for 148,000 👍👍👍👍👍

Offline GTIstew

• Thank You
« Reply #12672 on: July 08, 2023, 08:07:13 pm »
My original exhaust at 15 years old and 100,000 miles was looking quite badly corroded. Having got hold of a genuine VW exhaust off a Jap import car that had only done 10,000 miles I decided to replace it.

Did the job DIY using drive on ramps in my garage. After rounding one of the original clamp nuts I had to hacksaw it and ordered a new one. I found the hardest part of fitting the new exhaust was refitting the front hanger clamp bracket as one of the bolts has to pass through the fuel tank strap.

On inspection of my original exhaust I was just in time with the replacement. The hole is on the topside of the exhaust so would never be picked up during the MOT.

Offline Russboy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12673 on: July 09, 2023, 03:02:32 pm »
Today I fixed the common fault in mk5's where the boot gas strut rips the thread out of the c pillar. using a locking nut and a metal coat hanger and using a bit a threadlocker fluid just to finish the job

Offline skkane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12674 on: July 13, 2023, 06:50:25 am »
Changed the oil, switched from 10w60 to 5w40. I drive normally and don't track the car so it was pretty useless IMHO.

2007 ED30