Make a donation

Author Topic: Best product to clean the honeycomb front of GTI?  (Read 5825 times)

Offline cossy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 4
  • 57 REG ED30 5325 MILES!
Best product to clean the honeycomb front of GTI?
« on: March 16, 2009, 07:00:15 pm »
Hi,

Apart from wiping around each part of it is there an easier way?

And what product/s best to keep it black?

Cheers :jumping:

Offline vwrascal

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 28
  • If it aint rubbin you aint dubbin
Re: Best product to clean the honeycomb front of GTI?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 07:10:16 pm »
I wipe each part, that is the only way! time consuming but worth it!!    :happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 08:43:37 pm »
I was thinking about posting this question after cleaning mine this weekend.

I suppose a 'back to black' type product would do the job. A gel type impregnated on a MF maybe?  :happy2:

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 08:47:25 pm »
Unless it's really clean "back to black" seems to build up in the nooks and crannies and starts to look pants after a while as all the traffic filem seems to stick to it.

Geta good jet wash on it first to give it a real good clean, then as VWRASCAL states, wipe each part, then back to black it.. :happy2:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Shaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 08:48:45 pm »
There is a brilliantly simple solution to this.

Use Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing. Wash car (and you dont have to wash the honeycomb parts beyond running a sponge / mitt over the front)... rinse off... whilst it's still wet simply spray this on and leave it to dry. Perfect black finish every time and no effort at all!

If you haven't tried it you won't believe me - trust me it really is this simple and the result is perfect every time.

Go on.......
Keep The Faith
GTI Edition 30 No. 0687 - Candy White - 5 Door - Lux Pack 1 - Park Sensors - ITG Filter - Bluefin - ECD Insert - Cruise Control
Previously: Mk1 Golf - Mk1 Jetta - Mk1 Polo Coupe - Mk2 Jetta - Mk3 Golf - Mk4 Passat - Mk1 Polo - Bora - Audi A4 / A6 / A8 - Mk3 Polo - Mk4 Golf

Offline VWTroy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 08:56:39 pm »

Use Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing. Wash car (and you dont have to wash the honeycomb parts beyond running a sponge / mitt over the front)... rinse off... whilst it's still wet simply spray this on and leave it to dry. Perfect black finish every time and no effort at all!

If you haven't tried it you won't believe me - trust me it really is this simple and the result is perfect every time.

Go on.......
Now that's one I'm going to try, well done that man :happy2:

ED30/Bluefin/Eibach sportsline/Jetex Filter/Powerflex dogbone bush.

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 09:14:12 pm »

Go on.......

Cheers... :happy2:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 09:38:38 pm »
Is there any way you can 'protect' the grille so it's easier to clean the next time? Like PB's wheel sealant for alloys?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 12:58:14 am »

Go on.......

The AG Tyre Dressing works great I prefer using AG Vinyl & Rubber Care - seems to stay a little longer !  :happy2:

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 07:49:45 am »
similar thing for me I just use the Megs Tyre Gel + sponge , it is a pain though.....
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Shaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 11:32:38 am »
AG Vinyl and Rubber Care is good, Gareth, but you can't just 'spray and go' like you can with the ITD! Agree it lasts longer but I spray the ITD after each wash (at least once a week) so it only has to last a few days!!
Keep The Faith
GTI Edition 30 No. 0687 - Candy White - 5 Door - Lux Pack 1 - Park Sensors - ITG Filter - Bluefin - ECD Insert - Cruise Control
Previously: Mk1 Golf - Mk1 Jetta - Mk1 Polo Coupe - Mk2 Jetta - Mk3 Golf - Mk4 Passat - Mk1 Polo - Bora - Audi A4 / A6 / A8 - Mk3 Polo - Mk4 Golf

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 12:57:31 pm »
tried using mine today in just one part-def made a difference. is there a knack of spraying it ? as it laid on there all white for a while? but came good in the end.
cheers
matsu(idiot newbie) :embarrassed:
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline Shaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 07:03:18 pm »
There's no special technique to spraying it... it will always hang around in white puddles 'till it dries. Obviously this takes less time the warmer the weather is. I have found that the more rinse water you leave on before spraying on the product the better the result, though.
Keep The Faith

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 09:38:03 pm »
I'll give this a go but won't be spraying as it will get all over the bumper.  :happy2:

Offline autoperfection.com

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 28
  • autoperfection.com
    • autoperfection shop
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 11:15:21 am »
Hi

There is a product called Black WOW - it works great on this area - althought time consuming it puts a protective barrier on the plastic - water even beads off. makes cleaning much easier - although the autoglym method works great too....

JIM