Make a donation

Author Topic: Splintering the Modifications  (Read 5896 times)

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Splintering the Modifications
« on: April 01, 2009, 08:43:24 pm »
Now that people seem to be modding thick and fast maybe the forum needs a shuffle? threads are getting jumbled re. mods

splintering it maybe like this:

Modification Area
- Interior mods inc Seating/Accessories etc
- Exterior mods inc bodywork/paint etc
- Wheels/Tyres/Brakes/Suspension
- Engine/exhaust/turbo
- Stereo/Speakers/Audio

All standard tech chat stay put and move the modding into ins own space, would make things easier to find and prevent thread tangenting a little?

:chicken:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Splintering the Modifications
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 08:56:33 pm »
That sounds great, reality wear's a different hat i'm afraid, its hard enough trying to get people to post stuff in the loosely described sections we already have.
And one thing i gathered  from the other forum, is people really take um bridge at their posts being moved even if its 2 door's down  :laugh:
I spot stuff all the time which needs moving, but choose not to as i feel it will take a bit away from the relaxed feeling this place has, unless its blatantly obvious that it is in the wrong place for an answer.
If you have any idea how to get people to post in the right section our ear's are open.   :smiley:

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:02:26 pm »
a stick with sh!t on?

gets everyones attention if you wave one of those around  :grin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 12:02:44 pm »
^^^^
Great idea, VC!

TC - I never have any problem whatsoever with posts/topics getting moved because the system always notifies.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 12:04:32 pm »
a stick with sh!t on?

gets everyones attention if you wave one of those around  :grin:

....Reminds me of something I once witnessed with the Chimpanzees at Regent's Park Zoo. But a looong-ish story and deffo off-topic!

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline NEWEY

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 12:39:20 pm »
^^^^
Great idea, VC!

TC - I never have any problem whatsoever with posts/topics getting moved because the system always notifies.

i agree. i think its a really good idea. :)

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 01:27:36 pm »

My recent thread on Recaro Sports Seats Covering is deffo a prime candidate for moving to a new section on Interior Modifications.

:happy2:

Offline NEWEY

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 01:49:19 pm »

My recent thread on Recaro Sports Seats Covering is deffo a prime candidate for moving to a new section on Interior Modifications.

:happy2:

would be helpful for other members that might want to do this. almost like a knowledge base  8)

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 02:11:07 pm »
^^^^
The whole site provides a strong knowledge base - In between banter!

But yes, I think everyone will agree it's an excellent idea and a natural evolution. :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 07:37:00 pm »
I'd be wary of making too many subsections.

There was another GTI forum I went to once and they had so many sections and subsections I gave up trying to navigate them all.

Keep it simple!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 07:39:20 pm »
^^^^
Great idea, VC!

But this place came about because of the post's getting moved on the other forum. Yes i understand they where getting moved to a more general section and on here we cant move them away from the Mk5  :love:
But people just dont like seeing a thread locked sign even if its just a moved to here one.
Its kind of like the rolling road threads, it sets off something in peoples genes.  :chicken:
I personally agree, i would like to see separate sections for the stuff VC mentioned and i am sure when PG gets back he can sort something out. I am always very conscious of how this pace originated and why, and it would be nice as the sight grows to avoid the big brother controlling everything feel.
I remember when PG was saying come on lets start a forum, and i was very unsure, and he just said " we will just set it up and let the member's get on with it. This one sentence is what convinced me to help him out with the idea.  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 07:57:16 pm »
^^^^
Without resurrecting all the past arguments/debates/discussions, I would suggest that it wasn't so much the moving of threads but the friction between some people which resulted in the act of thread moving merely being 'the last straw' and an excuse to kick off.

This site (to date) has none of those undercurrents or clashes.

I think you can get around this possible problem by posting an in-yer-face Please Note that you are thinking of doing this and the good reasons why and say you hope that no members will take it personally but it's for everyone's benefit.

Otherwise you'll never change anything and the site won't evolve to it's own best benefit [sorry for poor English but must dash!]

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 08:18:50 pm »
wouldn't want any pressure on the mods tho with regards to moving things as thats unfair. the moving wouldnt be necessasry if you just maybe left it to the others to post in the right places as they do now and soon the content found inside will drive the threads into the right areas as people make new ones

but i agree its totally cool the way things are too, and keeping it simple

was only a passing thought, don't wanna make waves with people making forum comparisons  :ashamed:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 09:50:53 pm »

I think that when you sign up to any forum, you sign up your acceptance that the Mods and Administrators have the absolute right to rearrange the site as they think fit.

Whatever the Mods do, they can never please all the people all of the time. Too many people are resistant to any kind of change irrespective of whether it's to their benefit or not - Comfortably numb!

If this site isn't prepared to accept natural changes, the tail will wag the dog and it will probably gradually become an unwieldy monster over time. Then you'll wake up one morning and wish you'd done differently.

The American GOLFMKV site has the same sort of divisions we are considering in this topic here and it works very well - Clean and simple and easy to navigate/check what you want when you want.

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 10:09:28 pm »
I doubt that doing this would cause conflict amongst this forum like it did on the 'other forum'. As people say above, the conflict over there was due to many other reasons, and the movement of topics was just the 'icing on the cake'.

Great idea VC, it gets my vote  :happy2:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp