Make a donation

Author Topic: 2.0T FSI uprated fuel pump (and other upgrades) advice- Autotech or APR??  (Read 11463 times)

Offline Rupert

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
In the process of installing an Ed30 2.0T FSI lump into my Lotus Elise 111R.

The intention was to keep things sensible and go for 300 bhp Stage 1 level of tune. Now though we are adding a ProAlloy chargecooler and therefore it would be silly not to up that to 350 bhp.

Someone on here very kindly suggested we upgrade the diverter valve to a revision d unit which I have done  :happy2:. I am now looking at fuel pump options and from what I can see the two best options are:

- APR pump which replaces the entire unit from what I can see but costs £750 :surprised:
- Autotech pump which simply replaces the internals and costs a more reasonable £359

Which should I go for?

And what else should I be looking to upgrade on this engine?

Thanks very much in advance- any advice massively appreciated  :drinking:

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 03:47:00 pm by Rupert »

Offline Dario

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • booosting... :)
Re: 2.0T FSI uprated fuel pump (and other upgrades) advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 02:53:05 pm »
i hava the autotech upgrade and its running fine for one year and 15.000+ km ,didnt try the apr pump so cant judge is it better ,but you cant go wrong with autotech
REVO ST2+ Edition30 -sold

soon 2015 Golf R :)

Offline Rupert

• Taking part
  • Thank You
Re: 2.0T FSI uprated fuel pump (and other upgrades) advice needed please
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 03:07:14 pm »
Thanks for this  :happy2:

What kind of power are you running?

Offline Dario

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
I was runing 344 with OEM pump ,now runing 357 with autotech pump and RS4 valve ,need to get it remaped for the pump ,so I presume it will be around 360+

Offline Rupert

• Taking part
  • Thank You
Thanks Dario  :happy2:

Would anyone have the part number for an RS4 valve? Is that something that should be replaced as well then?

Offline cupra_k1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
Thanks Dario  :happy2:

Would anyone have the part number for an RS4 valve? Is that something that should be replaced as well then?

The part number is 079 130 757 mate and should cost around £35 from your local audi dealer. Its not an essential item and is really only worthwhile if running Stage 2+ software. Basically it just helps maintain fuel pressure upwards of 130bar giving your injectors and fuel pumps a little more headroom. It may also help to lessen the dreaded 5200rpm flatspot that some people have experienced.

A 2.0Tfsi engined Elise eh? . . . .  sounds like fun :grin:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:13:55 pm by cupra_k1 »

Offline Rupert

• Taking part
  • Thank You
Thanks very much for that- really helpful  :happy2:

I am looking to go with the Autotech components for the fuel pump- just can't bring myself to spend that much on the APR one.

The car will be pretty special when finished. PSR Automotive in Bishops Stortford are doing the conversion for me and naturally we are keen to make sure we address any weak points now while the engine is on a stand. They are just fitting a proalloy chargecooler and radiator at the moment.

I will post a thread when the build is complete for anyone that is interested  :driver:

Offline cupra_k1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
I will post a thread when the build is complete for anyone that is interested  :driver:

Nice one bud..... i look forward to seeing it :happy2:

Offline Rupert

• Taking part
  • Thank You
Once again thanks so much for the tips to date  :happy2:

One other thought- at what stage are you guys upgrading your clutches? At Stage 2+ levels of tune, is it one of the components upgraded as a matter of course?

Offline Dario

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
i run Helix SmF kit,chatters a bit ,but you live with it :D

Offline Rupert

• Taking part
  • Thank You
Re: 2.0T FSI uprated fuel pump (and other upgrades) advice- Autotech or APR??
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 11:35:40 am »
Is there an alternative upgrade clutch that doesn't chatter?!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 08:47:27 pm »
Not sure you would need a uprated clutch with the weight of your Elise, it being around half the weight.   :wink:
Also if your charge cooled then, Revo 2+ software with SPS switch would be my preferred engine map.
Also inspect the cam follower regularly, they are mostly fine on UK engines but there is a few instances of them failing with big bills. And for the price of a replacement it's cheap to replace.  :happy2:
Catch can maybe.
and you will need a LSD diff for sure
Also keep your eye on the oil level, a fair number of these engines drink more than George Best.
Apart from that the German over engineering means they are pretty much bullet proof.  :pomppomp:
I cant imagine how ridiculously fast this car will be a 2+ Edition 30 is very fast already never mind losing half it's weight.  :laugh:

Offline Rupert

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 09:08:55 am »
Not sure you would need a uprated clutch with the weight of your Elise, it being around half the weight.   :wink:
Also if your charge cooled then, Revo 2+ software with SPS switch would be my preferred engine map.
Also inspect the cam follower regularly, they are mostly fine on UK engines but there is a few instances of them failing with big bills. And for the price of a replacement it's cheap to replace.  :happy2:
Catch can maybe.
and you will need a LSD diff for sure
Also keep your eye on the oil level, a fair number of these engines drink more than George Best.
Apart from that the German over engineering means they are pretty much bullet proof.  :pomppomp:
I cant imagine how ridiculously fast this car will be a 2+ Edition 30 is very fast already never mind losing half it's weight.  :laugh:

Thanks Top Cat  :happy2: Is that your Type 72 in the photo? Are you on Seloc?

I am making note of all the great advice from the is forum- can't tell you how useful it has been.

Just following some of your points-

Is there a specific catch can you can recommend? This one has been suggested:
http://dubtek.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_32_33&products_id=477

The car won't have a LSD initially- I can see that I will have to be gentle on the throttle as I am guessing it won't be hard to break traction in the car once done! The garage doing the conversion have done a couple of other 2.0T FSI conversions in Elises so I will ask them how the others got on!

Is there anything that can be done now to minimise the risk of issues with the cam shaft follower? I am pretty sure I have seen some uprated components on the Forge website?

Obviously I don't want to buy parts that are not needed but if these little components can be fitted now and they don't cost too much, I am naturally keen to fit them.

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 09:57:25 am »
Is there a specific catch can you can recommend? This one has been suggested:
http://dubtek.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_32_33&products_id=477

The pcv revamp that you linked does not include a catch can as it merely fixes the weakness of the oem pcv. It has the same weakness as the oem pcv in terms of carbon and other gunge deposits on the inlet valves .
If you're after a catch can to minimise these deposits then bsh do one http://dubtek.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_32_33&products_id=478 as well as Forge (more expensive) http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=260305&product=FMMK5CTC . Both do the same job so it's up to you on how you want to spend your cash.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Rupert

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 10:26:46 am »
Thank you very much for this- How expensive are Forge components!!  :happy2: