Make a donation

Author Topic: Wheel bearing  (Read 3298 times)

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Wheel bearing
« on: October 14, 2011, 10:52:57 pm »
I think I have a front (i think) bearing going (rumbling droning noise) how easy is it to do myself?
Black 2007 GTI Manual, Stage 3 K04, R32 Bumper/Exhaust, WALK, adj rear ARB, KW1's, Twintercooler, Twintake, 18's (winters), 19's (summer) modified dectane LED rear lights, NQSBBK, Forge dump valve, Xenon look headlights with 5000k HID, 3" downpipe with sports cat, TT wishbones, uprated HPFP, Sach Uprated Clutch, Quaife LSD, VT & THS Engine Mounts.
To be fitted: Reverse Camera & uprated headunit.

Future plans: De-dent & Detail

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Re: Wheel bearing
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 11:05:03 pm »
Did mine few days ago........not really difficult just tricky!!

Key < having the right tools to hand. I'm not a mechanic, took me 3 hours to do.

Looking at £100 for hub (has the bearing on) and average garage £40-45 to fit.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:08:20 pm by Johnny_tro »
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 11:16:19 pm »
I've seen hubs on ebay for £60 - worth getting?
Black 2007 GTI Manual, Stage 3 K04, R32 Bumper/Exhaust, WALK, adj rear ARB, KW1's, Twintercooler, Twintake, 18's (winters), 19's (summer) modified dectane LED rear lights, NQSBBK, Forge dump valve, Xenon look headlights with 5000k HID, 3" downpipe with sports cat, TT wishbones, uprated HPFP, Sach Uprated Clutch, Quaife LSD, VT & THS Engine Mounts.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 11:20:34 pm »
? Long as there decent.

I spent the extra few quid, as I do lot of mileage and do not want to do it again. Like people say buy cheap buy twice. What make, model do you have? mileage is on the car?

Make sure you get the one with FOUR bolts!! Not the triangle one with 3!!

Nooooo!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-Mk5-Audi-A3-Seat-Leon-Front-Wheel-Hub-Bearing-1K0498621-/320762569450?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aaef062ea

Yes !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK5-MK6-FRONT-WHEEL-BEARING-AND-HUB-2004-2010-/270755567443?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0a4a1753
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 11:27:14 pm »
Mines an 07 Gti Manual (if that makes a difference)

Is it worth doing both sides at same time? Or just the one thats rumbling?

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 11:35:49 pm »
I just did the one.

Jack the wheel up, place one hand at 12oclock and one hand at 6oclock and rock the wheel.......if you get a bit of movement thats best way to tell.

Make/model should be cool - 99% it will be the four hold not the 3 hole diamond. My advice, go to a car parts place (local to you) give them your reg. they will show you the correct part. Look at it, should be one with 4 holes.

You should get the hub.....the four bolts and the massive bolt that goes through the centre (holds the shaft in)

It's NOT hard, just REALLY fiddly!!

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 11:52:04 pm »
Cheers mate, I'll get on it tomorrow, the droning/rumbling is doing my head in now!!! :signLOL:

I'll see how much the eurocarparts are charging these days.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 11:55:22 pm »
Looking about £98 on europarts.

Try your local 'car spares' if you have one - pretty good prices.

:happy2:

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 12:01:22 am »
Cheers mate either that or i'll be on ebay :signLOL:

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 12:06:29 am »
Cool. Good luck

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email