Make a donation

Author Topic: Motech mapped DSG 'hesitation' after gear change - FIXED. R-TECH Reign supreme  (Read 60849 times)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
---------------Original first post below-----------------

HI.

Not sure if this is something wrong with my car / map that I need to look into more or if its just a 'feature' of the dsg box.

When i've got my foot to the floor and change up a gear there is a very slight lag before the boost comes back in again. I've changed to the revision D diverter valve and I think it improved it a little but its still there... Its about 0.5 second delay before it pushes hard again.

I didn't notice this before the map.

I've spoken to Motech who asked me to come back to data log the car and possibly re map but I just wondered if anyone else has had this.

Thanks in advance

------------------------------------

UPDATE...

Just got back from Motech again (http://www.motechperformance.co.uk/) and just wanted to give a thumbs up for their customer service  :happy2:

Obviously after remapping my DSG GTI I had some 'lag' / 'hesitation' for a fraction of a second after a full throttle gear change. But I test drove one of their own cars today (2.0TFSI DSG) and that was perfect... so they obviously CAN correctly map this engine / gearbox combo...

Anyway... several log files and new maps later I've got a car that feels excellent again and with the problem 90% cured... It feels much better than before although I can still feel a slight hesitation still compared to their own car.

They seem committed to solving the issue though which is great to know that they dont just want to turn their back of difficult customers.

A couple of possible causes may be...

1. My car previously had a revo remap by the first owner. This was removed by the 2nd owner after lots of hassle with Revo. Revo never actually flash back the OEM stuff but instead put on their version of what standard should be. If they have done this incorrectly or put the wrong version back (for a different car or slightly difference ecu) then we could be trying to map a 'lame donkey'... So after xmas I'm going back and we are going to take the ecu out and check it properly to see if its actually got the correct software on there for the car.

2. Although there are no faults showing up I'm going to change spark plugs and look into something called an N74 valve. I've already replaced the DV with the revision D.

Anyway... Motech seem committed to finding the issue and giving me a car that performs like their demo car... even though it looks highly likely that its nothing to do with their map..

-----------------------------------

ANOTHER UPDATE....

Just had my N75 changed and massive difference. Too early to tell as it was only a short test drive home but the post gear change pause seemed to almost have disappeared.

----------------------------

ANOTHER UPDATE 12/6/12

hesitation still there and very noticeable on full throttle gear changes.

Now changed the following which hasn't solved the issue:

spark plugs
latest rev DV
N75
fuel filter

FINAL UPDATE 28/6/12 - Full explanation here... http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,36417.msg572115.html#msg572115

I'm in a rush so will write more later but BIG BIG BIG thanks to R-Tech who stepping in like a knight in oily overalls to save the day.

DSG lag now a thing of the past AND lots of problems with the Motech map resolved.... basically by ditching it and doing a customer R-Tech map.

I should have gone there from the start and will now only ever recommend mapping from a company that have the time, equipment and expertise to fault find and diagnose should something go wrong.

My car feels awesome again thanks to R-Tech.

More will be explained soon...

Nathan
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:30:44 am by jedi-knight83 »
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Re: Question for people with remaped DSG cars
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 07:57:24 pm »
I have had this once or twice while mapping DSG cars, feels like the engine is put on pause for a moment after the gearshift. Easy to resolve though, its a software based issue as the DSG cars have a fair few extra maps that need working on compared to Manuals.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 09:22:25 pm »
I have had this once or twice while mapping DSG cars, feels like the engine is put on pause for a moment after the gearshift. Easy to resolve though, its a software based issue as the DSG cars have a fair few extra maps that need working on compared to Manuals.

Thanks for the reply. I'll pop back over to Motech in the next few days and get it re done.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 09:38:38 pm »
PDT is probably right I dont have a remapped DSG car but just thought I would sanity check as you have more power and torque now is this with ESP on and could it be a traction issue? As I have experienced that even with my 200 ponies and piddly little standard torque  :signLOL:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 02:04:27 am »

Thanks for the reply. I'll pop back over to Motech in the next few days and get it re done.

Good luck with this one, I had some problem with my shark map due to the dsg box!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 08:58:25 am »

Good luck with this one, I had some problem with my shark map due to the dsg box!

....I heard recently that Shark is working on a DSG remap. I don't have any more information.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 09:23:10 am »
Just gonna throw this out there that maybe its the fueling not getting through, as you state it happens when pushing on a bit!
Ed30

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 10:00:02 am »

....I heard recently that Shark is working on a DSG remap. I don't have any more information.

They do indeed do a remap for the 6speed manual dsg
http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/brands/Volkswagen/Golf%20(1K)%202004-2009/Volkswagen%20Golf%20(1K)%202004-2009%20GTi%202.0TFSi/

It was teh actual map itself that had issues with the box, even the PDtuning stage 2 map had its torque limited to 280lb/ft  by the gearbox

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 10:15:20 am »
I'm never sure DSG maps are a good idea!! I think some cars that are running well over 120 hp from their standard maps puts enough strain without this!!!
Ed30

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 10:32:22 am »
I'm never sure DSG maps are a good idea!! I think some cars that are running well over 120 hp from their standard maps puts enough strain without this!!!

If its a safety thing then fair enough. Id rather have half a second hesitation than a broken gear box. Its still plenty fast enough even with the small hesitation... I just didnt know if it was normal or not.

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 12:01:27 pm »
I have similar post change dwell on my DSG car, and am presently awaiting comments from the calibration provider. It isn't a problem per se, and if it is there to protect the box it is fine, I like the OP just want confirmation it is deliberate. I was going to log the changes on vcds to see what is being capped following a change to hold off the power.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 12:46:42 pm »
Its not there to protect the box, its only something that shows up after tuning when some of the maps are not altered as required.

We have 5+ customers with DSG/S-tronic boxes that are pushing 360+bhp and have been doing so for years with no reliability issues, I would prefer this power on a DSG than a Manual with uprated clutch.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 11:39:47 am »
I never used to get this pause on the road but on track it is very noticeable when red-lining all the time, switching the traction control off seemed to help but it was still their.   :happy2:

Offline JMP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 07:30:49 pm »
My current stage 2 sw does this too. Its really doing my head in. If I wanted the pause during gear change, I would driving a manual. Does Revo Stage 2 or K04 stage 3 do this? Im thinking about changing the sw.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:54:49 pm by JMP »

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 08:43:44 pm »
Mine is pulling timing when it's happening, due to a torque reduction request.