Make a donation

Author Topic: Inner tail light mod units  (Read 46622 times)

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
Re: Inner tail light mod units
« Reply #90 on: February 29, 2012, 08:55:08 pm »
Read that you need to switch of the 'cold startup diagnostics' for the license plate bulbs with vcds to prevent a bulb out warning/fault code. Is this only with LEDs. Only with incandescent. Both. Or not necessary at all when connected to that wiring?

I can confirm YOU DO NOT NEED TO TURN BULB OUT WARNING OFF, you will not get a warn using these
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: February 29, 2012, 08:56:23 pm »
when you change resistances/voltages in any OEM wiring, this will flag a fault. So when you add wiring for tail lights & tap into number plate wiring, you will need to knock out cold lamp diagnosis.

Thats not true mate, the LEDs use such small wattage it doesnt play up the bulb out warning
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack

Offline perky85

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2012, 06:43:20 pm »
have you tried and tested this for a period of time.

Canbus systems are fragile when it comes to any unrecognised changes, otherwise why would you need canbus LED sidelight bulbs if standard LED sidelight bulbs didn't bring bulb warning on dash?

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2012, 07:10:29 pm »
have you tried and tested this for a period of time.

Canbus systems are fragile when it comes to any unrecognised changes, otherwise why would you need canbus LED sidelight bulbs if standard LED sidelight bulbs didn't bring bulb warning on dash?

2 weeks and 1000 miles, most at night not a problem, canbus is not fragine if you understand how it works, years ago i went on a 2 week course thro the garage i work for and that was about how canbus works and the measures you need to take when working on the network, its not witch craft and there are no hidden scarey things involved, if there is an issue in the network the controller shuts down the circuit asap, 2 weeks and 1000 miles is more than enough to be 100% sure there are no issues with the install

The reason you need can friendly side light bulbs is because of the amps drawn, a standard LED draws very little, so the controller see's whats being used and thinks we have a problem and shuts the system down, nothing more nothing less, its all about keeping within the parameters and with the LEDs ive chosen im well within the parameters, there for not a problem
please dont think i sat on ebay bought some bulbs and thought they will do, ive tried loads of different LEDs with different draws and these come up trumps, a lot of time and thought went into these, so i was 100% sure there wouldnt be an issue

Offline perky85

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2012, 07:16:18 pm »
I wasn't having a dig mate, I'm sure you hav done alot of measuring etc.

I also do alot of electrical courses for the manufacturer I work for, I was just enquiring to the measures that had been taken to ensure correct operation.
 :wink:

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2012, 07:27:59 pm »
I wasn't having a dig mate, I'm sure you hav done alot of measuring etc.

I also do alot of electrical courses for the manufacturer I work for, I was just enquiring to the measures that had been taken to ensure correct operation.
 :wink:

Thats ok mate, ive had loads of emails questioning the bulb warning and wiring side of things, when i first saw a thread about the inner tails i looked in to it and managed (good friend in VW) to find out the set parameters for amp, current draw on the lighting systems, i then worked out the highest draw i could get away with and tried them, it failed, bulb out lite as soon as the lights went on  :sad1: so i then started contacting bulb companys no joy, then a bulb rep came in to work and i spoke with him and it turned out he could get what i needed, its not the common sort (as they will trigger the light) so i tried them, before i fitted them in to the light units made the loom and had them sat in the boot, no light on the dash winner :happy2: thats when i fitted them fully in mine knowing there wouldnt be an issue

Ive had a request from a lad to make him bespoke LED outer rear lights, which so far has been fun, will look oem, but it will all be LEDs, hoping should have a prototype outer finished 100% by the weekend, once im sure there are no issues the otherside will only take about 2 hours to build

Offline perky85

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2012, 07:43:37 pm »
fair play.

Those Full LED units should be intersting to see  :smiley:

Offline biglad65

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2012, 07:45:25 pm »
how many leds are you putting in outers cheers

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2012, 07:56:14 pm »

Lots  :grin:, ive found a way of making the rings with the leds and atm im testing the draw on 8, 10, 12 and 14 for the outers, also ive tried having the complete ring light as brake lights and only half, as the inners are side lights as well having the outer ring complete as B/lights looks good, the main problem to start with was getting the indicator to flash bright enough, which ive managed to do, also they will be plug and play, its taken a while to mod the standard bulb holder to play ball, but ive found a way
Watch this space...............

Offline brookesb32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2012, 08:02:47 pm »

Lots  :grin:, ive found a way of making the rings with the leds and atm im testing the draw on 8, 10, 12 and 14 for the outers, also ive tried having the complete ring light as brake lights and only half, as the inners are side lights as well having the outer ring complete as B/lights looks good, the main problem to start with was getting the indicator to flash bright enough, which ive managed to do, also they will be plug and play, its taken a while to mod the standard bulb holder to play ball, but ive found a way

You are such a tease Phil  :signLOL:
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline biglad65

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2012, 08:03:46 pm »
will you be able to put more in inners to match the outers cheers

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2012, 08:23:33 pm »
will you be able to put more in inners to match the outers cheers

when i started work on the inners i had to make sure they blended in with the outers, now as im working on the outers aswell then yes adding to the inners can/will be done, the way i have made the inner light looms and new car loom for the inners it will be easy to upgrade from the 2 LED inners to more if having the LED outers if that makes sense?

basicly once ive got the prototype outers made and ready to sell, anyone who has had a LED inner set from me who wants to have the outers will get the upgrade for inners if they want, altho ATM the inners is still in the process of being put together as the outers is taking top spot

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2012, 08:24:28 pm »

You are such a tease Phil  :signLOL:

:signLOL: you know if you want a set i will fit them next time i visit the out laws

Offline biglad65

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2012, 08:31:29 pm »
wheres the outlaws lol

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2012, 08:32:59 pm »
wheres the outlaws lol

Nowich, we go up there every month/6 weeks, are you inbetween Plymouth and Norwich?