Make a donation

Author Topic: SFS Performance - Turbo Hose kit for 2.0T FSI (200ps)  (Read 34908 times)

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: SFS Performance - Turbo Hose kit for 2.0T FSI (200ps)
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 09:24:19 am »

not only does the inlet/outlet position need to be the same, but even though the S3 IC is bigger the inlet/outlet diameter is smaller than the gti/ed30/cupra.

Yes, you're right - I hadn't thought....

The GTI cooler's inlet/outlets are the "female" end and have a bigger O/D - the S3's inlet/outlet is the opposite, so the "male" end, as you're clamping a pipe onto them, so a smaller O/D. Assuming the pipework is the same bore, which I'm sure it will be.

That'll save someone some fuss! Thanks.
Sideways yo!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 09:41:54 pm »
you can see here the issues of the IC/TB hose being to close to the RAD fan.

Intercooler to Throttle Body hose (SFS version is much bigger with no flattening (at the moment) so should aid flow!)

Pipes now fitted.

have spoken to SFS and dubtek who stocks deals with SFS, and they have confirmed that the issue with the intercooler/throttle pipe being to fat has been solved.

From Dubtek

"they did modify their original kit so it now has a flat spot running down past the rad fan".

also said
"We've added a second security measure to the kit in the way of a big p clip which wraps round the hose and attaches to the block. The point where this is is where its nearest to the fan, and in 8000 miles of use its caused us no rubbing/chaffing at all"

good news.

I have my reservations slightly about the metal turbo discharge section being completely removed and replaced by silicone, but  Dubtek and chungster have had these on for ages so they must be fine.

Im pretty keen on getting these. I think with their design the gains will be marginally more over the neuspeed Discharge and charge pipes, which are also more expensive i think.

what do you guys think

Offline MR02LOW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 14
    • Ironkilla Gym Apparel
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9122.0.html
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2009, 09:48:21 am »
i have these hoses coming next week for my GTi, whoop whoop  :smiley:

i'll be fitting them in the new year, would a tweak on my APR map be required do you think?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2009, 09:59:22 am »
i have these hoses coming next week for my GTi, whoop whoop  :smiley:

i'll be fitting them in the new year, would a tweak on my APR map be required do you think?

Did you get them from dubtek? I shall be ordering mine in the new year aswell.
do you have the ability to do logs etc. if so it'd be interetsing to see how it allows your car to build up boost quicker. will you be fitting them your self?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2009, 10:11:03 am »
could be worthwhile to have a tweak. how much is it dfor a tweak?

that why revo is good with the select plus plus, as you can tune it to make use of new mods.

im getting my map tweaked in the new year to max the output with the cat back, IC and hoses as that was in the original price

Offline MR02LOW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 14
    • Ironkilla Gym Apparel
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9122.0.html
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2009, 10:16:44 am »
SFS is my sponsor mate, so i get all hosing direct from them, the ancillay hoses etc.. will be coming also

i will be fitting them myself mate yh, so i will get a load of fitment pics etc....i will also sort out with awesome GTi to get a map tweak and see what the out come is with these hoses..

thanks for the reply

:happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2009, 10:32:54 am »

I have my reservations slightly about the metal turbo discharge section being completely removed and replaced by silicone, but  Dubtek and chungster have had these on for ages so they must be fine.

Im pretty keen on getting these. I think with their design the gains will be marginally more over the neuspeed Discharge and charge pipes, which are also more expensive i think.

what do you guys think

....In terms of performance I'm very disappointed with the Neuspeed Discharge and Charge pipes (and I added SAMCO hoses as well!). They are relatively expensive and all I experienced was a freer revving engine - I guess there must be some benefit to my efficiency.

Apparently the Mk4 Golfs were famous for bursting their hoses on the turbo line, so at least it's greatly improving durability. I can't say I'm impressed that SFS missed the potential fan damage problem and, although ok on Dubtek and chungster's cars, I'm unsure about changing from the two hard material sections. It's weird: There's cold analytical decision and irrational gut feeling.

I couldn't recommend that someone doesn't change to the SFS product though.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2009, 10:43:14 am »
robin in you read reply#1 you'll read that STS were going to change the IC pipe to a flatter design, and then in reply #31 you will read that they have changed it to a narrower design, and now include another P clip to secure it to the block and ensure no chance of fouling the fans. Dubtek has had these on his car for a long time with no issues at all.

Considering these are £200 for the pair that is incredible value for money, especially as chungster saw and felt some pretty big gains in comparison to what people with the much more expensive neuspeed varients have.

Carl(mater) dyno'd his after fitting the neuspeed discharge pipe and made 5bhp, but made nothing when fitting the TB/IC hose

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2009, 10:48:03 am »
I'm unsure about changing from the two hard material sections. It's weird: There's cold analytical decision and irrational gut feeling

thast my only bug bear with this!! they might well have put this in due to the mk4's always blowing turbo pipes. After market ones will be good though.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2009, 11:50:42 am »

robin in you read reply#1 you'll read that STS were going to change the IC pipe to a flatter design, and then in reply #31 you will read that they have changed it to a narrower design, and now include another P clip to secure it to the block and ensure no chance of fouling the fans. Dubtek has had these on his car for a long time with no issues at all.

....Yes, I understood that SFS revised their design to stop it fouling the fans. My comment was that I wasn't impressed that they missed this in the first place - It doesn't reflect a very thorough approach IMO as it's something which is very obvious even to an inexpert naked eye. But all is well that ends well.

Considering these are £200 for the pair that is incredible value for money, especially as chungster saw and felt some pretty big gains in comparison to what people with the much more expensive neuspeed varients have.

Carl(mater) dyno'd his after fitting the neuspeed discharge pipe and made 5bhp, but made nothing when fitting the TB/IC hose

....Price shouldn't have anything to do with assessing how well a product works - If they were free of charge and still had the fan issue which is now solved, would you still put them on your car? - I think not. They are without doubt extremely good VFM and I am one of those who spent considerable money on the Neuspeed solution (plus expensive SAMCO hoses) to gain nothing measurable in performance.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2009, 11:59:49 am »
to be blunt, who actually cares if they had a slight issue on the prototype. they dont have an issue on the finished product?

Its research and development, hence after their test fit on chungsters they changed it. that was the whole point of asking for a volunteer to be a guinea pig. They didnt just put it out to the market with this issue.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 12:11:44 pm »

to be blunt, who actually cares if they had a slight issue on the prototype. they dont have an issue on the finished product?

Its research and development, hence after their test fit on chungsters they changed it. that was the whole point of asking for a volunteer to be a guinea pig. They didnt just put it out to the market with this issue.

....I would have expected a product to be virtually finalised before being asked to be a guinea-pig and consequently potentially putting myself or car at risk.

But I see your point and had missed the extent of guinea-pig-ness which chungster willingly subjected himself to.

Anyway, the good thing is that the finished SFS offering is being shown to work very well and is even good VFM as well.

:happy2:

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2009, 12:13:17 pm »
^^^^ spot on and what i was going to write also. (damn RR managed to put a post in before me....i'm refering to vRSy's post)

They didn't have a GTI themselves for R&D. They took the OEM pipe, said "ooooh I can make a full phat one and see how that goes", hence then the request for a guinea pig (and as they were local to me i put my car forward for it)

SFS saw eventual space issue, but also the diff it made on the Rollers.

They went back, did some minor changes, and the final product was released to the public with no rad fan problems (as Dubtek have said as he ran the revised one for a good few months with no issues)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:18:08 pm by chungster »

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2009, 12:15:36 pm »
I'm sure the theory on removing the metal sections is flow dynamics. The fewer obstructions, joints, changes in bore size, the smoother and more efficient the flow. I can see why this SFS solution works and why it gives better results than the competition. You get faster spool with your pipes, the SFS ones likewise, in addition increasing power and torque because they have less loss over the length.

It's also worth noting that the MKV uses the same crap design of couplings the MKIV had, which blow past the O-rings - removing as many of these as possible can only be a good move.

I may be mis-reading this Robin, but it seems you're beating them down for openly admitting they revised their product in the early stages of pre-production before releasing a finished item ready for the open market? They've never sold 1 of the pipes with an issue to a customer, so what's the problem?

Chungsters was a test car, that's why you have test cars to shake things down and ensure it's right. SFS have been open and honest about their product evolution, I think that's better then trying to cover it up.

Milltek realised they had a design issue with their mounts snapping after full production had been released and fixed it, do you treat them with the same scepticism?

I also seem to remember you defending VWR to the hilt when one of their shortshift kits ballsed up because it hadn't been designed properly before full release.

You judge companies not by their faults, but by how they fix their faults.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:29:31 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2009, 12:31:32 pm »
exactly right tony.

thats why i shall be buying them.

Its the turbo discharge pipe i am interested in most. but you can ponly buty them in pairs.

I plan on fitting water meth injection to my car by the end of next year, and want to get the nozzle fitted about halfway down the IC/TB pipe, so ideally i need a solid pipe.....which means the neuspeed pipe.

I think the biggest gains are going to be with the turbo discharge pipe anyway.

Who wants to swap their neuspeed IC/TB pipe for an SFS one when i get it.