Make a donation

Author Topic: SFS Performance - Turbo Hose kit for 2.0T FSI (200ps)  (Read 34907 times)

Offline chungster

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
SFS Performance - Turbo Hose kit for 2.0T FSI (200ps)
« on: April 28, 2009, 04:14:55 pm »
SFS Performance recently posted up a request (on another forum), for a 2.0T guinea pig, to test the Turbo Hose kit they have developed for the 2.0T FSI.

Thinking of all the freebies and whatever people like RR have got over the years, I didn't hang about and put my name forward!  :jumping:

And today was the day we decided to do the test.

Idea was to put the car on a dyno with the stock pipes, then fit the new hoses, and do a final dyno run to see if any actual bhp gains would be achieved. Car stayed in Revo map tune, with B6 T5 F9 settings.

The dyno place selected by Anthony @ SFS was Advanced ME in Bletchley (also called Marlin Motor Factors). They use a MAHA LPS 3000 dyno, and I know Dan at this place as my car was there on a dyno day back in 2007. And so he recognised me when i turned up.

Car on the dyno for first run.

Then we had to put the hoses on. Unfortunately no ramp was available, so it was out with the trolley jack and do it the old fashion way i suppose!  (I say we but really it was Anthony and Dan getting their hands dirty while i just observed lol)

The 2 new SFS Silicon hoses.

The Turbo to Intercooler hose

Intercooler to Throttle Body hose (SFS version is much bigger with no flattening (at the moment) so should aid flow!)

Pipes now fitted.

now I say the pipe has no compression at the moment like the OEM version. But Anthony @ SFS will change the design of it slightly to incorporate a wee bit of compression as the IC / TB pipe is a bit too close to the radiator fan for his liking!

So Dan used the classic mechanic's best friend to fix it at the moment - Cable tie! - to pull it towards the engine block a little to give it a bit more room.

Final result?

An amazing 10bhp gain at the top end, and spool up is quicker by 200 rpm, compared against the stock pipes.  :jumping:

Stock pipe figures - 231 bhp, 276 lb/ft torque (I've had 227 bhp on a DD roller, and 237bhp on a Dimtek roller)

SFS pipe figures - 241 bhp, 281 lb/ft torque

I don't know how much the hoses will be yet but it should be a lot cheaper than the Neuspeed version.

But for those who may be unsure about upgrading the stock hoses to some performance silicon ones, this test might just make you think again.  :happy2:

Many Thanks to Anthony @ SFS and Dan @ Advanced ME for doing all this.  :drinking:

btw, if anyone is thinking of ordering this from SFS, mention my forum name and you can get a nice 25% discount on it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 04:56:52 pm by chungster »

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
Re: SFS Performance - Turbo Hose kit for 2.0T FSI (200ps)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 04:34:53 pm »
wow very impressive, could be a cheap mod for the future! is it just KO4 cars or will it go on a KO3 aswell?  :smiley:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 04:49:54 pm »
wow very impressive, could be a cheap mod for the future! is it just KO4 cars or will it go on a KO3 aswell?  :smiley:

my car has the K03s turbo (200ps) version. I'm not sure if this kit will fit the ED30 / K04 based cars, but i think its slightly different as Anthony mentioned about being worried if i had the ED30 lol.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 04:51:29 pm by chungster »

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 04:55:28 pm »
dunno why i thought you had an ed30 after reading that and seeing the pics  :rolleye:

10bhp is very good then on the ko3, i could see upto 270  :party: gimmi gimmi gimmi  :party:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 04:58:35 pm »
dunno why i thought you had an ed30 after reading that and seeing the pics  :rolleye:

10bhp is very good then on the ko3, i could see upto 270  :party: gimmi gimmi gimmi  :party:

25% discount too if you fancy the kit. It was supposed to be for another forum but I asked if it could be extended to another mk5 forum i use lol.

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 05:00:20 pm »
so what price are they?

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 05:05:17 pm »
so what price are they?

£249+VAT per their online shop.

Less 25% discount = £215 inc VAT.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 06:20:36 pm »
Great gains and great pricing, do you know if they'll slot into an S3 'cooler easily enough???

Just thinking about the future  :wink:
Sideways yo!

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 06:38:05 pm »
Great gains and great pricing, do you know if they'll slot into an S3 'cooler easily enough???

Just thinking about the future  :wink:

I'll ask Anthony for ya, but if the stock pipes don't fit an S3 IC, then these won't. They'll have to do a seperate kit for them.

But the fitting was easy tho on mine. Anthony was saying it could be done on people's driveway as front bumper removal is not necessary. Just need the right tools for it!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 06:58:39 pm »

I've got SAMCO+Neuspeed on both Charge and Discharge routes on mine but all I noticed was freer running.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 07:27:19 pm »
the theory is sound I reckon , my questions are this

1 : I would need to see 3 runs for before/after tbh to see a difference I could believe. did you only do one each?
     preferably even going back to stock pipes to prove the gains are then lost again  :innocent:
     The graphs look very promising though  :happy2:

2 : It would have been easier for VW to follow the same idea , but they actively chose not to, so why make it 2 pieces of pipe and a rigid (flow reduced section) ?

John

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 07:49:15 pm »
the theory is sound I reckon , my questions are this

1 : I would need to see 3 runs for before/after tbh to see a difference I could believe. did you only do one each?
     preferably even going back to stock pipes to prove the gains are then lost again  :innocent:
     The graphs look very promising though  :happy2:

2 : It would have been easier for VW to follow the same idea , but they actively chose not to, so why make it 2 pieces of pipe and a rigid (flow reduced section) ?

John

John,

We did indeed do 3 runs before and after.

The 3 runs pre, were all ranged from 227 to 231.

The after runs were were all above 231, but the first pull was the 241. runs 2 and 3 went down a bit, but car was getting hot and intake temps went above 60 degrees i think per OBD measurement.

OEM pipes are always about cost effectiveness - mass produce simple solution at cheapest cost.

but when they took it off, i can defo see why SFS/Samco/Forge/VF-E/Neuspeed all decided to have an aftermarket replacement done for those who wish to run extra boost and improve the performance of the car. Hose diameter is bigger, and less kinks/compression. Logic dictates this should help airflow!

I can't knock what the Dyno says on this occasion. It was about an hour between the before/after runs. Dyno settings was not changed as no one else went on in that time. So to see it pull those improved numbers surprised me as well.

It's still way off the 250 bhp REVO claims tho for Stage 1 mind you, but that's a totally different matter.

:happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 07:50:45 pm »

Yes, I seem to remember JKM telling me there was a reason for the aluminium section of pipe near the belt.

Fixing a silicone turbo pipe away by relying on only a cable tie does not inspire me with confidence tbh. A cable tie can become brittle and snap.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 08:05:02 pm »

Yes, I seem to remember JKM telling me there was a reason for the aluminium section of pipe near the belt.

Fixing a silicone turbo pipe away by relying on only a cable tie does not inspire me with confidence tbh. A cable tie can become brittle and snap.

well it wasn't touching the fan, but it was a bit close due to the constant 3" i think diameter of the pipe all the way from IC to TB.

I'm sure SFS will rejig the design to give it a bit more room. The Cable tie will last a while. if it breaks, i'll just fit another one!

But don't think the kit will come with a cable tie as part of the kit! this was just a solution for my car due to testing the initial design!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 08:24:27 pm »
Nice gains there fella!  :happy2:

A very reasonable price, shame it doesn't fit the K04!  :sad: