Make a donation

Author Topic: Polo GTI questions  (Read 5684 times)

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Astons, Porsches & Golf GTIs
Polo GTI questions
« on: February 26, 2012, 01:09:26 pm »
Hi there folks. I test drove a 61 plate ex-demo Polo GTi with 4000 miles today. I'm thinking of swapping my Ed30 for this to reduce tax and fuel costs but also to get a newer car that has warranty and lower maintenance costs due to age.

However, is the 1.4 TSi engine still a nightmare for oil consumption?

Has all the earlier issues not been resolved now by VAG?

Should i now be able to trust a 61 plate, newer car?

Dont want to let my Ed30 go then regret it!

Also, I've never had a DSG and it sounds like there are issues there too -  are these isolated cases or commonplace?
VW Golf Edition 30, Candy White, 3dr Manual. Plus a stunning Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
Re: Polo GTI questions
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 01:12:31 pm »
I cant help with your question but you have a V12 Vantage and are worried about MPG and costs  :laugh: :laugh: :signLOL:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:13:10 pm »
Did you read EVO magazine's long term test report on it?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 01:18:16 pm »
Hi there folks. I test drove a 61 plate ex-demo Polo GTi with 4000 miles today. I'm thinking of swapping my Ed30 for this to reduce tax and fuel costs but also to get a newer car that has warranty and lower maintenance costs due to age.

However, is the 1.4 TSi engine still a nightmare for oil consumption?

Has all the earlier issues not been resolved now by VAG?

Should i now be able to trust a 61 plate, newer car?

Dont want to let my Ed30 go then regret it!

Also, I've never had a DSG and it sounds like there are issues there too -  are these isolated cases or commonplace?

Running costs
Theres huge savings to be had.  When it was new, i couldnt even get close to the quoted mpg figures, but after a few thousand miles the mpg was just getting better and better.  My tax is up for renewal this month @ £130 for 12 months.  Compartively the Golf R im currently using at best can  manage 22mpg at a motorway cruise at the speed limits for 180miles.  My Fabia would easily have managed 45mpg on that trip.  Christ i managed 22mpg for a full track session at Mallory park.  Thats a 150mile return journey and 80+ laps with a passenger.

DSG
Basically from what i can work out, its purely scaremongering and thats it.  The same thing happened when VAG released the 6Spd DSG in the golf.

Oil Consumption.
Its hard to say.  Some guys have high consumption, others like me and hurdy havent.  tracking the threads on the forums tends to show a trend of guys who took it easy for running the car in have had high consumption.  Guys who gave it a good stern running in have no oil issues.  

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 02:33:38 pm »
Well, I have the exact car you are talking about. A 61 reg Polo GTI.  :happy2:

Cars from August 2011 had uprated injectors, pistons/ rings and a few other minor modifications. VAG have been very good with dealing with any issues under warranty. DSG issues have basically stemmed from the mechatronics units and again these are sorted via warranty.
The car itself is very sprightly as stock, the suspension is capable and is as fast as a MKVI GTI to 62mph. Give the car some extra mods and the car is a little bombshell.

The bonus is that the fuel consumption is better than most performance cars should have the right to be and the tax is half that of what you'd expect. The stock brakes are poorer than I thought they would be and the boot space with the rear seats in place isn't big ( very good when down though), apart from that I cannot think of any negatives. Even the oil consumption hasn't been a worry, 1/2 a litre in 3k miles is all I've had to put in mine.

A great little car and I'm more than happy with ownership to date.  :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 03:18:35 pm »
Thanks for the replies. It's a difficult choice because the Ed30 is a good car and if this particular polo has oil and/or dsg issues I'll be kicking myself!
VW Golf Edition 30, Candy White, 3dr Manual. Plus a stunning Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 04:41:53 pm »
If it has been a demo car and has 4k miles on the clock I'd have thought any dsg issues would have been sorted. Also if it is a demo car they should know if it has been drinking oil.

Just don't get a black one as there's already two of us on here with that colour!  :grin:
Golf R gone.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 05:20:48 pm »
We need another Candy White one. ;)

Mine is a June 2011 car, but have yet to see if it has any consumption issues. Haven't covered enough miles. If it does it will be back in for either a new engine or updated piston rings.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 05:39:17 pm »

Mine is a June 2011 car, but have yet to see if it has any consumption issues. Haven't covered enough miles. If it does it will be back in for either a new engine or updated piston rings.

I wouldn't worry as officially it was August, but 2011 VW Polo's seem okay.  :happy2:
For some reason it seems to be Seat cars that suffered most as I believe they got most of the bad batch of piston rings iirc.
Golf R gone.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 07:45:38 pm »

I wouldn't worry as officially it was August, but 2011 VW Polo's SEEM okay.  :happy2:
For some reason it seems to be Seat cars that suffered most as I believe they got most of the bad batch of piston rings iirc.

Famous last words  :scared:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 07:56:52 pm »

I wouldn't worry as officially it was August, but 2011 VW Polo's SEEM okay.  :happy2:

Famous last words  :scared:

Dont jinx my car!!  :fighting: :grin:

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 01:13:48 pm »
Well i fancied a change as i've had the Ed30 for 2 years 5 months and am getting itchy feet but i'm also looking to reduce costs too whilst keeping some sort of performance and toys ala Ed30.
The Polo GTi fitted the bill nicely, it is a cracking car in looks, performance and running costs. However, with the current engine issues I've resigned myself to giving the Polo a miss.
I declined the car with the dealer this morning and he accepted it without question - he actually said he didn't blame me and knew where I was coming from!

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 01:15:23 pm »
Well i fancied a change as i've had the Ed30 for 2 years 5 months and am getting itchy feet but i'm also looking to reduce costs too whilst keeping some sort of performance and toys ala Ed30.
The Polo GTi fitted the bill nicely, it is a cracking car in looks, performance and running costs. However, with the current engine issues I've resigned myself to giving the Polo a miss.
I declined the car with the dealer this morning and he accepted it without question - he actually said he didn't blame me and knew where I was coming from!

Thats what warranties are for.  :wink:

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 02:06:42 pm »
Keep the ED 30.It looks great. :happy2:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 05:54:45 pm »
Tbh VAG have accepted the flaws of thus engine, hence them releasing a newer revised engine with a different engine code to the current "CAVE" model engine.