All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area
Premature Ageing!
cmdrfire:
I dunno what those guys are doing with their cars but in my 54-plate GTI with 84k miles the leather still looks new, and I don't treat it every other week either - once every other month if that. There's a little bit of cracking starting to appear but nothing serious and next time I treat it (weather's nice, I might do it today in fact) it should take care of it nicely.
182_blue:
--- Quote from: Richi on May 03, 2009, 03:03:39 pm ---Hi,
My dad owns a company called G Wilson (Fibres) LTD and we supply textiles into Germany that go into the Automotive trade. Nylon, polyprop., polyester, acylic etc... ( atm automotive trade is bust so we aint selling a lot :sad: )
They get needled ( non woven ) to make headliners, mats bla bla
I had a visit to their plant - they supply all the car factorys with the interior including leather ( we dont supply that )
The bloke showing us around said that the leather they supply to car factorys are different and he said the leather in the VW's is cheapest - its a soft leather which wears very easily
There are 3 types of leather
Aniline leather is the most natural looking, with natural surface visible, but is less resistant to soiling
Semi-aniline leather is somewhere in-between on both counts, having a light surface coating
Pigmented (protected) leather is the most durable but is less natural in appearance, having a polymer coating
Leathers are made from the skins of many animals but mainly cattle, goat, sheep and pigskins.
So Volkswagen leather might look just the same, but being soft it wears very easily.
Hope this is of help :smiley: ?
--- End quote ---
the leather in my edition 30 is far from soft
ub7rm:
That amount of wear at 29k is a bit much IMO but I'd echo that the VW leather doesn't seem to be very high quality. At 38k miles my bolsters are looking pretty worn. I'm being pretty carefull not to slide over them as I get in and out so can hopefully stop them getting any worse but yeah I can see this being an issue on high mileage / not well looked after cars.
With regards to the tyres, what brand were they? Dunlop sport maxxes were one of the brands fitted from the factory and I can vouch for the fact that they wear a lot quicker on the inside. Apparantly a common complaint of this tyre...
Rich:
Blue,
I don't really know the full story of it.
I'm just going by what i was told from Jack Stiennemen ( the man who showed me round )
You wouldnt believe the sheer size of the building, it was like a 2x football pitches. There were hundreds of machines needling headliners and mats and trimming incredibly fast.
He said the basic mats they sell to VW and Porsche are sold at £4.50 a set ( set of 4 ) :surprised: :surprised:
RedRobin:
....
Borrow (steal) some of wifey's anti-aging beauty products?
Or you could choose the organic option and use snail snot : -
:evilgrin: :evilgrin:
But joking apart, I'm surprised if the 'leather' VW are using doesn't age well. Do Audi use the same leathers?
Obviously I'm glad I chose cloth, but that was because I find leather too slippy and also uncomfortable dependent on weather temperature.
Navigation
[0] Message Index
[#] Next page
[*] Previous page
Go to full version