All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Reliability of our MKV's

<< < (7/9) > >>

BeezerDiesel:
Some of the posts regarding problems are rants, where people discover faults and blow off a bit of steam on the forum to get it out of their system before they do the rational bit and get it looked at.
Some of the posts are questions and forums are by far the best place to ask as by and large the members aren't looking to make any money out of you unlike a dealer/garage etc
And some owners are just plain fussy!!! Seriously though, VW have for as long as I can remember marketed the Golf as very slightly upmarket hatch, reflecting the very slightly better engineering going into the car and thus people are going to be picky when it comes to faults as they have paid top dollar for the car.

Having owned 2 mk5s and also a mk4 (plus 2x mk3s and a good few mk2s and even a mk1 many years ago!!!) with a Bora still in the family, I don't think the mk5 is lower quality. The interior of the mk5 has a slightly cheaper looking plastic because that lovely rubber padded interior on the mk4s used to peel and looks nasty as soon as it gets scratched. My Dad's Bora's interior isn't wearing well at all and it doesn't get hard use. My mk4 had a new gearbox before 60k miles and my Leon Cupra (same thing basically) had any number of electrical problems. My first mk5 (soot chucker) had a few issues with its turbo causing a slightly shaky idle but nothing else, and as for my present car, I'm not going to comment as it will curse it!!!!  :laugh:

Norbreck21a:
Ha ha, slightly off topic, but I can't help noticing how busy Very Cherry has been with the banners  :laugh:

Lynsey:
In 2½ years of ownership with mine, I can say he's not been 'too' bad!  All bits and pieces that seem to have 'technical difficulty' all seem to have been around the vicinity of the dash board area....

Worst thing (and potentially most expensive had there not been warranty) was the whole MFD unit in the dash completely going defunked when he was 3 months old so that had to be replaced.  Oh and I'm on radio number 3 ... not bad going  :happy2:

A few other bits and pieces but don't wanna jinx it else my engine will drop out on the way home or something !!

RedRobin:

--- Quote from: BeezerDiesel on May 08, 2009, 03:26:15 pm ---
Some of the posts regarding problems are rants, where people discover faults and blow off a bit of steam on the forum to get it out of their system before they do the rational bit and get it looked at.

Some of the posts are questions and forums are by far the best place to ask as by and large the members aren't looking to make any money out of you unlike a dealer/garage etc

And some owners are just plain fussy!!! Seriously though, VW have for as long as I can remember marketed the Golf as very slightly upmarket hatch, reflecting the very slightly better engineering going into the car and thus people are going to be picky when it comes to faults as they have paid top dollar for the car.


--- End quote ---

....All so true! :happy2:

stealthwolf:

--- Quote from: Norbreck21a on May 08, 2009, 04:00:11 pm ---Ha ha, slightly off topic, but I can't help noticing how busy Very Cherry has been with the banners  :laugh:

--- End quote ---

Ditto. I want to design a better signature picture but at the mo, don't have the time. I need some lazy weekends.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version