All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Tyre Rim Protector

<< < (2/5) > >>

pazz:
The Conti 2's seem to bulge out from the rim (you can see this from the pic I've posted), its almost like they appear to be a wider tyre (even though they are both 225) to the FK452's.

BeezerDiesel:
I've got Conti 2s on the back and Conti 3s on the front (couldn't get hold of any more 2s when I needed some new rubber and couldn't afford/justify 4 Conti 3s). I've got 8'' wide rims and the 2s look like the fit sqaure but don't offer that much rim protection, however the 3s have mahoosive big fat bands of rubber over the lip of the rim making the tyre look like it has a slight stretch even and I would think it would take some clumsy parking to scratch a rim with those on. I'm not going to experiment though.

The wheel man:
I wonder how much the rim protector actually does?  Ive always thought that a small bit of rubber would be hard pressed to stop a rim hitting something with the weight of a car behind it......

Anyone know anything about this / experience?

182_blue:

--- Quote from: The wheel man on May 11, 2009, 05:16:27 pm ---I wonder how much the rim protector actually does?  Ive always thought that a small bit of rubber would be hard pressed to stop a rim hitting something with the weight of a car behind it......

Anyone know anything about this / experience?

--- End quote ---

i know that the large rim protector on a conti 3 tyre wont protect a rim at even a very very slow , very very light meeting with a curb   :ashamed: (my old BBS CK's)

pazz:

--- Quote from: The wheel man on May 11, 2009, 05:16:27 pm ---I wonder how much the rim protector actually does?  Ive always thought that a small bit of rubber would be hard pressed to stop a rim hitting something with the weight of a car behind it......

Anyone know anything about this / experience?

--- End quote ---

You've never had experience of hitting a kerb? That surpises me.

With the Conti 2 setup I showed above, you'd be pretty careless to kerb the rim. You'd have to be flat up against the kerb.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version