All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area
Tyre Rim Protector
Ifti:
I think the 452's look nicer on the wheel though TBH.
I also dont really think a rim protector really does a hell of a lot - just be careful when parking by a kerb!
182_blue:
--- Quote from: pazz on May 11, 2009, 07:27:43 pm ---
--- Quote from: The wheel man on May 11, 2009, 05:16:27 pm ---I wonder how much the rim protector actually does? Ive always thought that a small bit of rubber would be hard pressed to stop a rim hitting something with the weight of a car behind it......
Anyone know anything about this / experience?
--- End quote ---
You've never had experience of hitting a kerb? That surpises me.
With the Conti 2 setup I showed above, you'd be pretty careless to kerb the rim. You'd have to be flat up against the kerb.
--- End quote ---
i must have been careless then :confused:, no offence but i did mine and im far from careless (in my own humble opinion as i really didnt want to ruin a £400 rim !!), ps kerbing doesn't just involve parking, mine was done leaving a bloody stupid car park in Nottingham where the kerbs are very high, and very tight to turn in, as said mine was done at no speed at all and only very very lightly touched the kerb and it still marked the alloy, not bad, but bad enough for me
pazz:
--- Quote from: Ifti on May 11, 2009, 07:44:45 pm ---I think the 452's look nicer on the wheel though TBH.
--- End quote ---
They do look a lot nicer in the flesh.
I went for the Assymetrics @ £121 each fitted at a local garage who have always been careful to not dammage the rim. You always know when a tyre shop will take their time to fit tyres when they show you the condition of the rim (edge etc) before fitting the tyre to make sure you are aware of any damage before fitting. So you can compare before and after etc.
pazz:
--- Quote from: 182_blue on May 11, 2009, 07:45:33 pm ---i must have been careless then :confused:, no offence but i did mine and im far from careless (in my own humble opinion as i really didnt want to ruin a £400 rim !!), ps kerbing doesn't just involve parking, mine was done leaving a bloody stupid car park in Nottingham where the kerbs are very high, and very tight to turn in, as said mine was done at no speed at all and only very very lightly touched the kerb and it still marked the alloy, not bad, but bad enough for me
--- End quote ---
That point was not aimed at you. I was simply comparing my experience of the conti 2's with the FK452's shown in the pics above.
What was the tyre/rim setup? You also said conti 3's, I'm on about conti 2's. I've had 2's and 3's on my A4 and the 3's didnt seem to fit in the same way, with less of a square shape.
182_blue:
they were 19", and they looked about the same as the conti 2's
you can just about to make out the rim protector here
Navigation
[0] Message Index
[#] Next page
[*] Previous page
Go to full version