All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area
DSG Oil change
RedRobin:
--- Quote from: Ifti on May 11, 2009, 08:48:14 pm ---
In that case, I'd be inclined to book the car in, wait for the oil to be changed, and then go on the road test as a passenger if possible!!
--- End quote ---
....Why be so paranoiac? The VW mechie/techie needs to check that everything is as it should be before it's signed off as satisfactory for you to pay for and take back. It's a matter of responsibilities - They have a responsibility to return your car to you in safe and working order.
What harm is the VW guy likely to do to your car testing it that you are worried about?
iainalpine:
RedRobin, I lecture in automotive engineering and have quite a good insight into what actually goes on in the garages. People say knowledge is power but in this case its fear as its a bit hit and miss when it comes to getting things done the way they should be done. My mission was to find out all the in's and out's of the DSG service from guys on here as there is quite a few that have had this carried out. Thousands of pounds for a new box a year down the line doesnt wash to well with me due to it not being serviced by the book, and my car is out of its 3 years cover in august.
Iain
NeilM:
Personally I don't use VW dealers for work on my car (only the first service), I'd much rather have people I know and trust and have carried out all the mods over the last 2 years work on the car rather than a 17yr old on work experience. Having the book stamped by VW doesnt bother me, (A Mechanic at AMD wants to buy it anyway). :happy2:
Phil Mcavity:
--- Quote from: RedRobin on May 12, 2009, 08:47:59 am ---
--- Quote from: Ifti on May 11, 2009, 08:48:14 pm ---
In that case, I'd be inclined to book the car in, wait for the oil to be changed, and then go on the road test as a passenger if possible!!
--- End quote ---
....Why be so paranoiac? The VW mechie/techie needs to check that everything is as it should be before it's signed off as satisfactory for you to pay for and take back. It's a matter of responsibilities - They have a responsibility to return your car to you in safe and working order.
What harm is the VW guy likely to do to your car testing it that you are worried about?
--- End quote ---
Dont go there Robin!, erh where do i start!!. Bonnet and wheel damage to start......
i would be wanting to be the passenger aswell tbh.
Its bad enough having to go back to get my steering module done at the garage that managed to damage it last time out.Their Senior Mechanic is doing the work and not some Hungry looking teenager driving customers cars in and out of the workshops that i witnessed just this morning. :mad:
RedRobin:
@ iain, Neil, Phil :
Reading about your experiences, I really can't believe that my VW dealer is the only good one in the country! Surely I'm not the only person who reports good things rather than only bad experiences.
By treating people equally no matter who they are, and not as if I thought they were illiterate spotty teenagers, I have built up a strong working and very friendly relationship over my (nearly) 4 years of GTI ownership. My VW dealer knows who I am and understands my requirements. This relationship extends to their autonomous body shop (accident repair centre). The key to getting the best from people is by mutual respect and having a relationship (I'm hooking up with one of the VW guys at JapFest at Castle Combe this weekend - A shared enthusiasm).
I consider the Head Service Manager to be a friend of mine and he always arranges the timing of any work to be done on my car to be only done by their best couple of mechanics. The mechanic who works on a car is the one who drives it in and out of the workshop and is the one who test drives it afterwards, if appropriate. Okay, I have plenty of time, but if you care that much, then make time and give them the help to help you - You're meant to be on the same team.
I'm often in the workshop myself and there is also a glass wall rendering it like a goldfish bowl.
I have had 2 DSG full services - One by my VW dealer and the other by VWR when they installed my Quaife.
So, just because some of you have had bad experiences or lecture in the subject (I don't see how lecturing qualifies an insight unless it's direct experience), it doesn't automatically mean that all VW dealers should be avoided and I don't think it at all fair to suggest so to all those who read these forums.
:smiley:
Navigation
[0] Message Index
[#] Next page
[*] Previous page
Go to full version