All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Tyre time, Goodyear F1 Assy or Michelin Pilot sport 2?

<< < (5/9) > >>

stevie_p:
ill pop over kwik fit see what they have,never really tried them as they always seem to be pricey!!! what price for the kumho KU31's mate?? cheers

GeorgeF:
i have the standard contis on the front and michelin ps2 on the back, i cant wait to get rid of the original contis for some more michelins on the front. i dont get on with them at all. golfs are also very common for knocking rear tyres out of shape, and i have found michelins keep their shape best, and contis are pretty shocking. michelins alday long for me.

Sharman:
Never really got on with kwik-fit, but that was years ago. I think you'll have to buy online to get them  the cheapest. Check their website.

john_o:
some surprising contradictions on here....

Richi  :surprised: : tyres vary widely and its not just about branding, stopping distances in dry/wet etc can vary massively , ultimately the differences in branding could safe your life...

Mark : Im surprised on your Mich PS2 findings , as for me they have been fast ish wearing (8-10k miles for the fronts), and excellent feel/grip in wet and dry!

For me on 18's , they would both be an excellent choice. Alas I havent tried the Assym on the Golf.
PS2 are always pricey too which may just swing me to try them.

Ultimately the PS2 I have on the front have been different class to the Exaltos I had on before. Understeer on the Exaltos was really bad , sidewall and feel seem much softer on them too.

will let you know as Im up for a new front set too, just keep putting it off.

Sharman:
A little confused now! The original conti sport contact 2's were 225/45 17 91W. I replaced the fronts with Goodyear F1 Assy's which are 94Y XL. I've since been told via the forums that they need to be XL(extra load), but I can't see any XL writing on the Conti 2's. Do they need to be XL? If so, when I rang Costco regarding the Michelin Pilot sport 2's, I was told that they are rated 91Y and "NOT" XL.  Also, I looked at some V rated Avon ZV3 which were cheap(£66), but they told me that they weren't rated high enough for my GTI and could invalidate my insurance. I then checked my original Conti 2's and found them to be W rated. Confused :rolleye:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version