All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Tyre time, Goodyear F1 Assy or Michelin Pilot sport 2?

<< < (6/9) > >>

Mark_GTIV:

--- Quote from: Sharman on May 17, 2009, 02:25:54 pm ---A little confused now! The original conti sport contact 2's were 225/45 17 91W. I replaced the fronts with Goodyear F1 Assy's which are 94Y XL. I've since been told via the forums that they need to be XL(extra load), but I can't see any XL writing on the Conti 2's. Do they need to be XL? If so, when I rang Costco regarding the Michelin Pilot sport 2's, I was told that they are rated 91Y and "NOT" XL.  Also, I looked at some W rated Avon ZV3 which were cheap(£66), but they told me that they weren't rated high enough for my GTI and could invalidate my insurance. I then checked my original Conti 2's and found them to be W rated. Confused :rolleye:

--- End quote ---

The originals Contis should have been 94Y XL .. They were on mine (2007 Model year).

You need XL tyres for a GTI and those Pilots from Costco have too low a load rating (prolly why they're cheap).

The pilots should be Michelin Pilot Sport 2 92Y Extra Load.

A la :


Extra Load Michelin Pilot Sport 2 in 225/40zr18 92Y on my slightly worn Monzas  :happy2:

mixit:
Been using Goodyear Eagle F1's of one type or another for a number of years and find them to be very good both in dry and wet conditions. Can't comment on Michelin's as Iv'e not used any.  :smiley:

Ifti:
Everything I hear about the Falken 452's seems to be very positive - I may give them a shot as my fronts need replacing soon....

ub7rm:
I'm not on commission honestly but the falkens are absolutely outstanding for any money, let alone the money they are selling for.  Oddly enough the 18" fitment is a little bit cheaper than the 17"  :surprised:

I would highly highly recommend them.

Sharman:
Finally settled on the Goodyear F1's and stick with what i know. Got them for £105 fitted ea. Was very tempted with the Michelins, but haven't seen any that are extra load in 17". Thanks for all your replies :happy2:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version