Make a donation

Author Topic: Front wing rust warranty success!!  (Read 337193 times)

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
Re: Front wing rust warranty success!!
« Reply #225 on: August 19, 2012, 10:52:37 pm »
I would stick to a manual I think , but then I'm a bit of a luddite , my motto is 'if it aint broke , dont fix it'! Nowt wrong with a manual gearbox imho!
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #226 on: August 20, 2012, 01:10:17 am »

I think dsg would feel weird for me in terms of only two pedals.

In terms of power delivery are there any major differences?!

Ive had an Auto before (Mitsubishi Galant V6) so it doesnt take long for me to acclimatize to the 2 pedals , but yeah its the power delivery if you leave it in D that bothers me , youre always waiting for the kickdown to start , I mean its only fractions of a second but I know if I was in my car , I'd be in the correct gear before I put my foot down! You can get over that by changing manually with the steering wheel paddles or by knocking the stick over and using the + and - settings , kind of defeats the object of having an auto though IMHO. The good bit is at least you dont have to do the old 'clutch and throttle pedal dance' to keep the car stationary at an uphill junction!

....If you want to enjoy DSG, stop thinking of it as a conventional automatic and drive it in M-mode except perhaps for the convenience of when in traffic queues or cruising gently through urban 30/40 mph limits.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #227 on: August 20, 2012, 02:21:35 pm »
I've never driven a dsg.

Might go n test drive one just to see what it's like  :happy2:

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #228 on: August 20, 2012, 04:05:29 pm »

I think dsg would feel weird for me in terms of only two pedals.

In terms of power delivery are there any major differences?!

Ive had an Auto before (Mitsubishi Galant V6) so it doesnt take long for me to acclimatize to the 2 pedals , but yeah its the power delivery if you leave it in D that bothers me , youre always waiting for the kickdown to start , I mean its only fractions of a second but I know if I was in my car , I'd be in the correct gear before I put my foot down! You can get over that by changing manually with the steering wheel paddles or by knocking the stick over and using the + and - settings , kind of defeats the object of having an auto though IMHO. The good bit is at least you dont have to do the old 'clutch and throttle pedal dance' to keep the car stationary at an uphill junction!

....If you want to enjoy DSG, stop thinking of it as a conventional automatic and drive it in M-mode except perhaps for the convenience of when in traffic queues or cruising gently through urban 30/40 mph limits.

Is M mode , using the paddles to shift Robin? Theres an S mode as well , after D , is that a sport shift mode? (I didnt get the  owners manual when I got the car)
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #229 on: August 20, 2012, 06:28:48 pm »

Is M mode , using the paddles to shift Robin? Theres an S mode as well , after D , is that a sport shift mode? (I didnt get the  owners manual when I got the car)

....Yes, M-mode is 'Manual' mode: You can either use the paddles (better with extensions) or nudge the floor stick 'tiptronically'. I much prefer using the paddles and mentally it's exactly the same as driving a conventional manual transmission except it's much quicker and you don't make a mistake. You use your fingers rather than left leg and left hand. So you shift gears exactly when you want to but have the other options as well.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline brown-1234

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #230 on: August 21, 2012, 10:02:36 pm »
So i went to my local VW dealer today! (Durham).. Soonest i can be booked in for my car to be looked at is December the 4th  :surprised: Very shocked at that when the person told me. Whats you time of waiting been like for some of yous ?

Jonathan

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #231 on: August 21, 2012, 10:05:13 pm »
So i went to my local VW dealer today! (Durham).. Soonest i can be booked in for my car to be looked at is December the 4th  :surprised: Very shocked at that when the person told me. Whats you time of waiting been like for some of yous ?

Jonathan

sounds like they are taking the piss.

they should look right away.

i have to wait 3 weeks to get into the bodyshop though now its been approved.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #232 on: August 21, 2012, 10:08:37 pm »

Jonathan

Assume you mean Pulmans? Had the same story in March ("end of July").
I would not suggest you wait for them as the rust will get really bad in the meantime and they may even say you left it too long!!

Ring up Benfield VW in Scotswood Road, ask for Lee who deals with paintwork inspections and he'll do his best for you - I got 100% goodwill including two new wings.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline brown-1234

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #233 on: August 21, 2012, 10:09:45 pm »

Jonathan

sounds like they are taking the piss.

they should look right away.

i have to wait 3 weeks to get into the bodyshop though now its been approved.

I no i thought that, but as he said the car is 5 year old the 3 or under go first or something. You think im best off trying another dealer. Or can i not try another one as im booked in with DURHAM ? Thanks

Offline brown-1234

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #234 on: August 21, 2012, 10:12:08 pm »

Jonathan

Assume you mean Pulmans? Had the same story in March ("end of July").
I would not suggest you wait for them as the rust will get really bad in the meantime and they may even say you left it too long!!

Ring up Benfield VW in Scotswood Road, ask for Lee who deals with paintwork inspections and he'll do his best for you - I got 100% goodwill including two new wings.

Yeah mate, pulmans. To be honest im not impressed with there service. It took 3 attempts to get them to order a scratch free rear valence for me and i had to drive through and check for them. I just think december is a very long time.

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #235 on: August 21, 2012, 10:42:53 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good vw garage in the west yorkshire area? I had rust on my drivers sill and had that done f.o.c at harrogate vw.

Cheers
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #236 on: August 22, 2012, 08:07:47 am »
I went to Inch VW in Bathgate to book my car in. The earliest they had was 3rd week in September. I went to see them on the 3rd or August. Seems their body-shops are busy busy at the min. Anybody had better luck with dealers nearer Edinburgh? I've tried Sighthill, Gorgie Road VW. Anybody with a quick/good experience of VW For Kinnaird?

Offline shirre

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #237 on: August 22, 2012, 04:56:18 pm »
I'm still trying to get my tailgate 70/30 turned around. They are not budging.

Been a week speaking to VW UK, but they are saying my local retailer is not agreeing.

I managed to find out through my local dealer that there was a new TPI document released weeks ago around the badge tailgate rust issue. Anyone heard of this?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #238 on: August 22, 2012, 05:05:24 pm »

Been a week speaking to VW UK, but they are saying my local retailer is not agreeing.

I managed to find out through my local dealer that there was a new TPI document released weeks ago around the badge tailgate rust issue. Anyone heard of this?

....I haven't seen any document about badge tailgate issue but that doesn't mean that there isn't one. IIRC, some folks on this forum have successfully had their tailgate rust issues sorted - A Search?

Do you know for what reasons your local retailer is not agreeing? Try another VW dealership even if not so local?

Offline shirre

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #239 on: August 22, 2012, 09:08:28 pm »

....I haven't seen any document about badge tailgate issue but that doesn't mean that there isn't one. IIRC, some folks on this forum have successfully had their tailgate rust issues sorted - A Search?

Do you know for what reasons your local retailer is not agreeing? Try another VW dealership even if not so local?

Just the usual excuses, they have done enough, not obliged to give any goodwill, getting wings for free etc

its been 6 weeks now, 4 of them with black tape on the wings and tailgate, it just needs sorting out...

i'm going to write a letter next giving them one last chance to rectify before going through small claims court.