All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Manual or DSG?

<< < (2/7) > >>

RedRobin:
....

I'd go as far as saying that in the long term, DSG boxes are more reliable because of all the self-protective measures.

They do need their own oil & filter change servicing about every 40k(?) miles and it needs doing by a specialist (VW approved).

Furthermore with more DSG software becoming available it can be even closer to the same as driving a Manual.

Hurdy:
I hear of far more problems with manual clutches slipping and needing replacing than the DSG boxes. Failures on DSG boxes are few and far between and as RR says are usually down to poor maintenance. If there does happen to be a fault with the DSG it is most likely to occur during warranty and have been sorted. :smiley:

gadge:
Right, ok. So every gti i find with DSG, should of had a service by the latest, 40k miles. Otherwise stay away?

neg:
Yep or 4yrs old.

Yep, sold mine - being collected next week.

Greeners:
Well having both a manual and a DSG I can see advantages to both. No matter what anyone says I feel far more in control in my manual but love the cruising ability of the DSG.

If I wanted a spirited drive I would choose the manual every time!  :happy2:

Depends what you want your car for!  :wink:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version