All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area
Air Con & Fuel.....
stealthwolf:
In my old car (1.2 litre fiesta), the aircon could sap as much as 1/16th of the fuel in a long journey.
Haven't noticed any huge drops in mpg in the ED30.
v2brett:
--- Quote from: docker1996 on June 01, 2009, 10:16:18 am ---Don't you need to run the aircon regularly to keep the system in good condition? :confused:
--- End quote ---
iirc the mk5 runs the aircon at a very low % even if not used to keep the system good, id still say use it regulary though
ub7rm:
Yes I think the A/C is still about 2% operational even when switched off just to keep the seals lubricated etc.
At town speeds its more economical to have the AC off and the windows open. At higher speeds its more economical to have the AC on and the windows closed :happy2:
pazz:
I always try to remember to turn mine off "ECON" now and again. Not sure if this applies to MK5 Golf's but I've had an Aircon Compressor die on me before (on a 2001 Astra) and I'm pretty sure it was because I never used it. Supposedly have a tendency to seize up if not used.
Its also beneficial in preventing bacteria from building up on the evaporator. If you've ever noticed bad smells on Aircon systems its usually because somebody doesnt use it enough. Although I hear there can be other reasons like pollen filters etc.
ub7rm:
--- Quote from: pazz on June 02, 2009, 11:11:44 pm ---I always try to remember to turn mine off "ECON" now and again. Not sure if this applies to MK5 Golf's but I've had an Aircon Compressor die on me before (on a 2001 Astra) and I'm pretty sure it was because I never used it. Supposedly have a tendency to seize up if not used.
--- End quote ---
Yes the problem is is that the A/C gas also contains lubricant so if the AC isn't used the componets can seize up and rubber seals dry out and fail. The mk5 golf addresses this by keeping the compressor turning at a very slow speed even when off so that the lubricant is constantly circulated. This doesn't address the issue of smelly AC though so yeah its good to give it a regular blast and give it some anti bacterial treatment every so often.
Navigation
[0] Message Index
[*] Previous page
Go to full version