Make a donation

Author Topic: Can I change old climate control unit to the dual control unit like in the gti?  (Read 5866 times)

Offline Mzareieg

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Hi just lookin for some advice/help.. Iv got the standard mk5 1.9 tdi and it has the old climate control unit in with the 3 dials and not dual control. I want to put the gti climate control unit in with the dial controls and digital display? Is it possible? Is it a straight swap if so or is it hard work? Not Done Anyhing like this before so any help wud be appreciated guys :)
Thanks  :smiley: :driver:

Offline Mr Savage

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
Hi just lookin for some advice/help.. Iv got the standard mk5 1.9 tdi and it has the old climate control unit in with the 3 dials and not dual control. I want to put the gti climate control unit in with the dial controls and digital display? Is it possible? Is it a straight swap if so or is it hard work? Not Done Anyhing like this before so any help wud be appreciated guys :)
Thanks  :smiley: :driver:

You can but it's a lot of work so i've heard. Also expensive I think and the possibility of creating annoying dash rattles. I looked into it before but didn't see it worth it.

Offline Mzareieg

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
Aww :( I'm gutted really would hav liked to change that as the unit itself is quite cheap on eBay :-/. Aw well guess il hav to move onto upgrading something els lol thanks anyways for replying :)

Offline Mr Savage

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Aww :( I'm gutted really would hav liked to change that as the unit itself is quite cheap on eBay :-/. Aw well guess il hav to move onto upgrading something els lol thanks anyways for replying :)

No problem mate, it's just a huge wiring job as it's linked in with your heated seats, air con, and basically everything temperature related. Spend the money on an arm rest, high line or an RNS 510 unit instead!  :happy2:

Here is a link to a guy that did it on a Mark 5 before so you can see the amount of work involved:

http://furmanka.blogspot.co.uk/2008/12/mk5-klimatronik-climatronic.html

As you can see it's a MAMMOTH task, including removing the dash and possibly even your seats. The module itself might be decently priced on Ebay but that's just a small part of the puzzle :) Your'll need a complete climatronic airbox, temperature sensors and panels. Need to fiddle with the fuse box and basically dismantle half your car. Hence why I gave up on the idea.  :drinking:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:55:58 am by Mr Savage »

Offline Mzareieg

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
Lmao woah just skimmed through that link u posted..! Ur ryt it is to put it in ur words mammoth lol to say the least! Thanks for puttin it in perspective lol way too much headache for me to bother with lol think il stick with the simpler mods.. Leave that stuff to the experts lol respect to that guy for doin it tho! Lol he has a nice deck in that link what deck is it do you know? And would that fit the mk5 golf?  :happy2: :signLOL:

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
Yep a huge undertaking, but it can be done. And for the record, what you have is climatic air conditioning and not climate control.

You might be better off selling the car and buying another with climate control as standard.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline Mzareieg

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
That's a nice idea if I hadnt just bought it a month ago! Lol nah it doesn't bother me that much im gna probably keep it a ear and change to an Audi a3 iv wanted to go back to one of them for ages so that's next on my list lol

Offline Mr Savage

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
To be honest, i'll admit that the dual zone climate control looks a lot cooler and it's a little bit better than the standard dials but to be honest the dials work just fine for my use, the air con is good and the heaters get the car warm quite fast, i've never really been bothered about wanting a different temperature than my passenger and neither have any of my passengers! When you have heated seats you can always turn them on individually if you're too cold!