All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Coilovers poll

<< < (6/7) > >>

tony_danza:
To be fair, he's only going so low with those rims anyway - so I think all are contenders.

Galvanised are ok if you're prepared to look after them, something like Waxoil will keep the crap out of them. If you just want to go low, then comfort and price are key, adjustability is pointless..

A GOOD coilover will have been through a very lengthy development process and then preset with rates that match the car, so look for a make with good R&D and a TUV approval, basically the ones you've listed. Eibach/Koni will lean towards street settings, i.e. compliant where as KW/Weitec (and as I believe the Weitec is basically a V1 too) will be more track orientated, i.e. hard. FK I have no knowledge of, but Jonny used to run a set, so they can't be bad!

Cheap crap will most likely be a copy of one of these, but with no consideration for the spring rates, rebound settings etc.

The general consensus for a daily hack with decent handling is to go for compliant springs and hard ARBs. That way you soak up bumps easily but it doesn't roll like a ship full of custard in corners.

Mine handles really well on the Eibachs, if it didn't, they'd have been taken off in a flash. They were on the car when I bought it and I'd highly recommend them... if I was spending my money though, I'd have Bilsteins, no question. I get arch liner rub occasionally on high compression and they're not as good as they could be on the track, but my commute (which is where it does 90% of its work) is a dream.

Hope that helps somehow?

RedRobin:

--- Quote from: scarpicus on June 09, 2009, 01:39:37 am ---
Yeah i have fsd with eibach and the ride is very Very nice  :happy2:
but i want to go lower,Basically i want the Koni fsd with Eibach prokit ride but with a much lower ride hieght.... :happy2:


--- End quote ---

....If you are using KoniFSD's you are limited on how low you should go - Otherwise there can be problems. It's the way the FSD system works - They smartly adjust themselves and need the travel.

scarpicus:
Thanks for all you advice and opinions so far... :happy2:

I think i'm leaning towards the koni coilovers as TONY_DANZA has said which others in my google research have said also are that the Koni seem too give a very good ride (iv not read one post were someone has said ride was harsh) while still lowering car maybe not as low as FK but my main goals were to have a good ride like my current setup but with having car not slammed but sitting lower especially in the rear and i think the Konis will give me this... :happy2:

Also when front tyres need changing i plan to put some 215/40/18 or 215/35/18 on too give tyres abit of stretch and have arches rolled so i could go even lower in the front eventually which was also one of the reason for wanting coilovers to have that ability to adjust in the future.. :drinking:

Plan to get them begin of next month

CANNOT WAIT..... :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:




Damian @ DPM:

--- Quote from: RedRobin on June 08, 2009, 06:26:43 pm ---
--- Quote from: Damian @ DPM on June 08, 2009, 05:36:52 pm ---
We really rate the Weitec Hicon GT's and by far our best selling coilover kit.

Damian @ DPM Performance

--- End quote ---

....Are they stainless or galvanised?

I have to say that just because a product is best selling it doesn't necessarily make it the best in the long term. Often something is best selling because it's cheap.

--- End quote ---

They're galvanised, it's the KW's that are stainless.

Totally agree but along with them being our best selling coilover they're also the ones we get the least problems with and also the most positive customer reviews about.

Damian @ DPM

RedRobin:
@ scarpicus:

I would advise also getting some aftermarket anti-roll bars - Very underrated but effective suspension mod.

Beware the slippery slope of modding!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version