All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Coilovers poll

<< < (2/7) > >>

RedRobin:
....

I guess that VWR-KW-V3's are beyond your current budget :sad:

Professionally set up they are awesome imo.

scarpicus:
I mainly drive in inner london which has a lot of potholes and humps
I dont plan to track car and i don't do anywhere near the miles im sure some of you do
I probably only drive the car about 10000 miles a year probaly less as its mostly short trips and the occasional motorway trip...


--- Quote from: WhiteGTI on June 08, 2009, 09:51:23 am ---You should also consider Bilstein.

It also depends what sort of driving you are doing. If you're going to track it then maybe adjustable coilovers would be worth it (if you know what you are doing). If you are just using them for fast road, then you would be fine with non-adjustable damping. I've heard that its easy to get the adjustments wrong if you don't know what you're doing, and you are not likely to better the set-up on a fixed coilover anyway.

Just my two-pence worth lol!

--- End quote ---

Thanks for that advice as i though it would be simple adjusting damping to suit driving style i am also suprised that the Standard KW varient 1 are ahead of the 2 FK Konigsport coilovers can anyone expand on why KW varient 1 are better.... :happy2:

Really appreciate opinions and advice so far...... :happy2: :happy2: :happy2:

WhiteGTI:
^^ As you say earlier, its very simple to actually adjust the damping - most just use a screw adjuster on the top or bottom of the damper - however I was told by suspension experts that its not as simple as just turning the dampers to a softer setting if you're after a softer ride - apparently there are other variables that need to be taken into consideration. But then again I am a complete novice at it, and never really looked into it properly. I guess with a bit of research you could make some good judgements about how to adjust the damping.  :smiley:

scarpicus:

--- Quote from: TomB on June 08, 2009, 01:35:43 am ---There are lots of different budget coilovers there! What would you prefer to spend and how many miles do you plan on doing on them?

I've had KW V1's and FK Silverlines on previous cars and they're both very good kits, the FK's are softer and go lower than the KWs, but the quality isn't as good as the KW's.

The Weitec stuff is made by KW, but I haven't seen it so I can't say anything about the quality.

--- End quote ---

So out of the KW and FK which one gave you the better ride also when you say the quality isn't as good can you expand on that...did u have problems with FK


--- Quote from: WhiteGTI on June 08, 2009, 09:51:23 am ---You should also consider Bilstein.

It also depends what sort of driving you are doing. If you're going to track it then maybe adjustable coilovers would be worth it (if you know what you are doing). If you are just using them for fast road, then you would be fine with non-adjustable damping. I've heard that its easy to get the adjustments wrong if you don't know what you're doing, and you are not likely to better the set-up on a fixed coilover anyway.

Just my two-pence worth lol!

--- End quote ---

I Didn't consider Bilsteins because ever thing i have read about them people always say that the ride is very harsh.

WhiteGTI:
The ride's not tooo bad, but yeah maybe on the harsh side of things.

My tuner who used to have KW-V3's fitted to his GTI said that they were harsher than the Bilsteins. That probably doesn't help you because I know you're looking at the KW-V1's, but it would be interesting to hear from someone who knows how the V1's differ in ride quality from the V3's, and maybe that could give you a reference point  :smiley:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version