All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area
Gti and ED30 advice
Peskarik:
--- Quote from: gazbutS3 on June 11, 2009, 09:09:53 am ---Its funny, we just got a Seat Leon thats done over 60k and it squeaks and rattles less than my brand new ED30 and 10K GTI
--- End quote ---
the quality of GTI and E30 is ... sporadic. Some people have no rattles whatsoever, I lucked out.
I, like Gaz here, have squeaks and rattles in my E30: center of the dash, somewhere in the instrument cluster from time to time, but particularly - rear seat. I've been in an acquaintance's Skoda Octavia which he treats mercilessly, its done 140000km, but it does not make a squeak. I've been in rental Lupos that were silent as a tomb.
GTI/E30 is pretty nice car, and you can mod it to your heart's content almost indefinitely and for reasonably low money (in Britain, that is, not where I'm at). You can make it go 130mph in a quarter and beat M3s, AMGs, tuned 335i's.
Personally, Porsche will be Porsche, whether it has more bhp than Golf or not. Porsche is yardstick for a sports car. Golf is a hatch.
(I have E30 Oettinger Stage 2 plus downpipe plus KW V2)
Msportman:
I had a decision similar to yours over buying a standard GTI or an Ed 30 some months ago after coming from a 350bhp APR MKIV Golf.
The MK5 is leagues ahead in the chassis department compared to the MKIV in any case but what swung it for me was the ease of tuning potential on the Ed 30 which I'm sure you'll appreciate coming from a Carrera 2 with 300bhp.
The MK5 is quite heavy beast but for the everyday driver even 197 bhp in standard form it's a nice competant package.
In ED 30 form most are higher than the factory claim at 240+ some 250bhp.
In a basic map from APR/Revo or Superchips you should a nice 300bhp with a healthy dollop of torque.
I went for the Ed 30 as it is brilliant even as a standard car but I do the odd trackday so have started with an APR re map and put my Dunlop Intermediate tyres and some uprated pads.
For Stage 2 and exhausts can wait...300bhp is more than enough. My concentration will be on proper brakes and chassis upgrades. The investment in a Stage 2/3 power upgrades can be invested into some KW's and big brakes (AP/Tarox/Stoptech).
I will post some photos on here this week on my progress but suffice to say I've just fitted the D01j's on my Pescara's and they look Awesome....even on the OE suspension.
I will report back my findings at Combe on Saturday.
No creaks or rattles on my Ed30...very impressed with the cabin ambience.
Ian
Navigation
[0] Message Index
[*] Previous page
Go to full version