All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Audi S6 DRLS on .:R32

<< < (5/8) > >>

RedRobin:
....

In principle, LED DRL's give the perfect passive signal and in practice are a very sensible safety feature. I do find that more cars ahead of me in a lane will spot me and move over than when I didn't have them. Dipped headlights annoy more people because of their strength and sidelights are just ineffective.

Too many people in the UK are hung up about the style of LED DRL's rather than their functional advantages. And even more are set in their ways and prejudices about fogs. Just because a light is in the same position as a foglight doesn't make it a foglight - Duh!!



^ These are exactly the same Hella LED DRLs as mine. If I had a R32 I would definitely do this conversion to S6 DRL's.

Manu_R32:
VC, il have a play about with the DRL's once i get them and if i feel i can mess about with them abit i may be interested in the control module...wil PM you about it. And Red, thanks for that post, its abit annoying sometimes being held up behind a car as they havent noticed you....hopefully these will make a difference. Car is going in at 10am today and should get it back by the end of the day...will try and post up some pics once done!

 :happy2:

no golf clubs at all:
Robin, in relation to your cool drl's, have you ever been stopped or questioned by a well meaning member of the local police force ?

They are often not the most informed on the latest of automotive technological trends. 

 

 

john_o:
those are gorgeous Pazz , nice find  :happy2:, like you I have xenons though  :sad:
Has Hurdy seen them yet  :laugh:

RedRobin:

--- Quote from: Manu_R32 on June 25, 2009, 03:11:58 am ---
And Red, thanks for that post, its abit annoying sometimes being held up behind a car as they havent noticed you....hopefully these will make a difference.


--- End quote ---

....It doesn't guarantee that the car in front will move over for you but it does improve the target rate and especially on dual carriageways/motorways where your approach is faster and the LED DRL's have got their attention from a distance.


--- Quote from: no golf clubs at all on June 25, 2009, 06:52:38 am ---
Robin, in relation to your cool drl's, have you ever been stopped or questioned by a well meaning member of the local police force ?

They are often not the most informed on the latest of automotive technological trends. 


--- End quote ---

....*cough* I am known to the local police service *cough* and so no problems there. No problems with police further afield either and I was recently given an acknowledging thankyou wave when I did my party trick of quickly flashing on/off between my DRL's and heads - My DRL's automatically switch on/off when I switch on/off to any other lights.

I keep documentation about them and their EC legality in the car as back-up if I am ever stopped. Also, their actual lenses are moulded with the word "DRL" and TUV(?) markings. I'm totally happy to argue my case in court if necessary - In fact, I'd enjoy it!

I've had more trouble from pedestrians when I've been at traffic lights! Most just politely let me know I've got my lights on and are trying to be helpful, but I've had one guy who was obviously prejudiced and insisted they were fogs in spite of being told they were DRLs - I ended up telling him to lie down in the road in front of me and with any luck he'd remember reading the letters D R L when he woke up in hospital.

I investigated fitting the S6 DRLs to my GTI but it wouldn't have looked sufficiently oem unless I used GT style horizontal vents instead of the false honeycombe.




Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version