Make a donation

Author Topic: plate concerns  (Read 7236 times)

Offline matsu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
plate concerns
« on: June 23, 2009, 06:44:46 pm »
whats the worst that happens if i got german plates on front and back..... and now magentice fronts(choice of english and german)
and how many times am i expected to get away with it if pulled?

or is that how long is peice of string questions?

oh and carbon frontage on yyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaah!
photos at wkend¬!
fanx
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
Re: plate concerns
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 07:00:12 pm »
Big Al, over to you  :wink:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 07:10:38 pm »
i had a warning over my plate, just came through the post (picked up by ANPR van in Notts), basically telling me to get proper ones or next time big trouble, i do know of people going through courts over them

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 07:14:53 pm »
from dvla

Offences

It is an offence to alter, rearrange or misrepresent letters or numbers in order to form names or words or in such a way that
makes it difficult to read the registration number. Characters must not be moved from one block to the other e.g. AB51 DVL
must not be displayed as AB5 1DVL or AB 51DVL. Vehicles with illegally displayed number plates may FAIL the MoT
test. The police can also issue fixed penalty fines for illegally displayed number plates. Offenders are liable to a MAXIMUM
FINE of £1,000 and in some cases the mark may be withdrawn.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/v796.pdf

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 07:19:09 pm »
i had a warning over my plate, just came through the post (picked up by ANPR van in Notts), basically telling me to get proper ones or next time big trouble, i do know of people going through courts over them

What plates and where did you get them blue?  Mine are dubmeister pressed plates which are legal?

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 07:45:47 pm »
why buy them if you know they are illegal,
DVLA can take the plate off you if you are stopped twice.
Or go over to golfgti forum and get in on the group buy for the UK legal pressed ones, I am in on it, and they need about 5 more people to get the offer, so I would reccomend that!  :grouphug:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 07:51:08 pm »

What plates and where did you get them blue?  Mine are dubmeister pressed plates which are legal?

mine wasnt for german plates, i just had the spacing in wron place, i.e *** ** instead of ** ***

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 08:03:23 pm »
mine were like how shaun described. I ended up goin to court over mine after being pulled 3 times i think? They ended up giving me a 30quid fine! Joke really! But i can't be doin with the hassle of running illegal plates now tho!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 08:39:01 pm »

It seems to me that if you really want to run your own style of plate then it's okay but you'd be foolish to take no notice once you had been warned. However, personally I think that illegal spacing and/or illegal font styles of letters/numbers make you look a pretentious twit anyway. Small plates or no plates are cool until receiving a warning.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:16:55 pm by Top Cat »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 09:00:54 pm »
i echo the sentiment of the above about miss spaced plates. I really am not a fan of numberplates you have to miss space now. Including my own, its just it has become a part of my car

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 09:18:47 pm »
^^^^
Hey, Jay, buddy - You and Steph and your gang have to come to The Ring one day! It's one of those 'must-do-in-your-life' things for car enthusiasts.

Coolest plate I saw was 'GT03 BUZ' on a bright orange Porsche GT3 - Almost as cool as 'VW05 RED' :evilgrin:

:happy2:

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:22:52 pm by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Caz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • Golf GT Sport TDi - called Gordon
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 10:25:21 pm »
well..
my 'illegal' plates were the first thing i bought for gordon last year.lol
i am aware theyre illegal, even more so with the rear plate being white too (its on my list of things to do, get a yellow one..  :innocent:) ...
like a couple ppl on here i told, i got pulled for them for the first time 2 weeks ago.. but tuned out, the officer was a customer of mine and a fellow golf owner.lol he let me go..

basically, there isnt such a thing as a german style uk legal plate.. 3d plates are illegal, presssed plates illegal, any logo other than the europe badge is illegal, any font other than the norm is illegal, spacing as to be as norm..

tbh, its all a bit ridiculous..

".. in the process of learning the vw service trade!"

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 10:44:59 pm »
Small plates are just asking for trouble on a car, I have never understood why people buy them.

I'm personally not a fan of cool plates either. I was very tempted with a previous car to buy a plate which related to the model variant; it being a very rare car. However I am glad now that I didnt.

Each to their own and all, but I say get something that means something to you personally, not just the car.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 10:58:47 pm »

Each to their own and all, but I say get something that means something to you personally, not just the car.

....I prefer something which relates to the car rather than my ego. However, I got lucky with mine - 'VW' for Volkswagen, '05' for Mk5, 'RED' both for the car colour and my music persona RedRobin Music Productions, and all totally legal so no hassles. It gives my ride a memorable identity and gives people I've never met before the chance to approach me.

I'm used to it but was surprised by the amount of attention I got at The Ring [cue for me to be told that that was for quite different reasons!]

Offline celica

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 11:10:48 pm »
if you want german style, go for dubmeister which are legal

otherwise not worth the hassle being targeted IMO
MKV Golf DSG