Make a donation

Author Topic: Forge Motorsports 'Twintake' & 'PCV fix / Oil catch can' fitted..  (Read 13460 times)

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
Hey all..

Got a couple of new bits on the car, just thought that I would get a bit of a review up on them as I know they are very new, and some people have been asking about them etc..

So first of all the new 'Twintake' from Forge..

There are plenty of intakes out there for the 2.0T FSI, I should know, I think I have tried 8 different configurations up to now on my old MK5, through S3 and now Edition 30 GTI.. So was looking forward to another new toy! haha..

The new 'Twintake' from Forge looks a bit crazy initially, but makes sense when you think about it..

Two enclosed filters both feeding from two separate areas with cool high pressure air.. Meaning that all the engine is breathing is ambient temperate air.. Something that most filters out there dont.

Front intake.. (Feeds from the standard airbox location)

Side intake.. (Feeds from the front left wheel arch)

That is one major benefit, obviously the cooler the air entering the engine the better.. Some people argue that it doesnt really matter as its going through the turbo anyways, but thats nonsense.. The cooler the air, the denser the charge, more power / more torque.. Pretty simple..

The other is that by running two filters you are reducing the chance of the turbo / engine having any restriction. Obviously this becomes more and more apparent as the power of the car increases, but never the less, its better to have a filter/s on the car that is rated way above the power that the engine is making rather than running right on the limit and running the risk of restricting in some way..

Some pics now!!

I chose to wrap the entire aluminum intake pipe work in Gold heat reflecting tape, just helps a little with reflected heat under the bonnet, and it looks pretty trick too! Not really necessary but I like it!

Fitting was pretty simple, just take a little time to make sure everything is lined up nicely and then go around and tighten up the clips.. Once the intake is on, its pretty solid, but has enough movement in it to cope with the engine movement etc..

Which brings me to how it feels.. I dont have any hard proof for this, only the feeling from driving my car with the previous intake, changing to the 'Twintake' then going for another drive to compare..

The car feels quite a lot faster, which really surprised me!! The biggest thing is that the whole power curve seems to have smoothed out, the boost recovery after gear changes (DSG) is even faster and there seems to be no noticeable heatsoak after sitting in traffic / long drive etc.. In short, im very pleased, and can't wait to get another dyno on the car to see if anything noticeable shows up! Im sure it will!!

Now the new 'Oil catch can system' that Forge are also about to release..

Its a well known problem with the 2.0T FSI engine, gunk from the crank case venting back into the inlet manifold, and making the valves look terrible after relatively small amount of miles.. Something that could really hurt performance, and eventually damage the engine if left untouched..

The solution is to stop the venting back into the inlet manifold, and vent directly to an external catch can..

There are a couple of problems when it comes to this.. Space in the engine bay, and making it look neat, like its supposed to be there and not some stuck on universal kit which end up looking a bit cheap and tacky! Forge have got around this by creating some space with a new washer bottle fillter neck, this means there is enough room to squeeze a nice 2.0T FSI specific catch can (with viewing gauge) just above the engine mount..

I also have the charcoal canister cover on mine, just neatens up things under the bonnet.. Im not really one for a polished engine bay, but I think they actually look really nice!

The new PCV piece is a CNC cut aluminium piece, which is anodized black and engraved with Forge's logo.. Fits perfectly and looks really subtle..

Finally the kit is completed with a lovely little CNC manifold block off piece.. This also incorporates 3 take offs, for boost gauges, DV's and whatever else you may want to use it for.. Pretty handy and means you dont have to do it off the brake servo vacuum hose..

Not only does this mean that your saving your intake valves from being covered in oily gunk after 20k miles, but it also removes the chances of losing performance from a faulty PCV.. Something I think I must have had as after fitting the catch can system (I installed this before the intake and went for a test drive)

I found that the performance of the car was improved, mid range most noticeably, which could indicate that something was up with the standard PCV that was on my car.. Who knows, but it definitely feels better, and looks great too!!

Fitment was really easy, just a case of lining things up and connecting up hoses etc etc.. Very simple, took me just over half an hour..

So im very pleased with both parts, the fit and finish is perfect and both seem to have made the car faster, something that is very important to me.. And if they didn't, they wouldn't be on the car now!

I think that together they look great under the bonnet too!!!

Well done Forge, another couple of great products!

Jonny
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 02:05:28 pm by jonnyc »
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Harm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Forge Motorsports 'Twintake' & 'Oil catch can' fitted..
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 02:03:51 pm »
Nice!

Makes me want to keep and mod the mk5 now, but no can do  :sad1:

Liking it alot...

Offline NEWEY

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
Re: Forge Motorsports 'Twintake' & 'PCV fix / Oil catch can' fitted..
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 02:14:34 pm »
ooo i must say that intake looks spot on. a good idea too.

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 03:05:25 pm »
With the PCV deletion, can you still run the standard engine cover?

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 03:07:55 pm »
With the PCV deletion, can you still run the standard engine cover?

Im not really sure, but I would imagine that there is enough room for that yeah..

Offline nick-barnes07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 03:13:18 pm »
did you get them through forge??? didnt think they released the twin take yet,

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 03:14:49 pm »

yes they are on the site but its all about who u know  :laugh:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline nick-barnes07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 03:15:46 pm »

yes they are on the site but its all about who u know  :laugh:

I know pete who runs it!!! ill give him a call in a bit as i am wanting the twin intake,  :happy2: , they tested the twin take on my car the other day and the pcv bit, and said they had issues with one of them!!!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 03:16:00 pm »

Im running the prototype for them.. I know some people would see that and presume that I would say the products are great whatever but honestly.. If they didnt work then there is no way I would have them on my car.

There will be more info to follow from Forge very soon on both parts

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 03:22:59 pm »
Cheers. Mega paranoid about gunk caused from the PCV valve. But i do want the engine bay to look "fairly" standard.

Offline nick-barnes07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 03:31:01 pm »
they saw 15bhp on the dyno when they fitted the twin take, compared to 4-5bhp from just the one they tried forst of all

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 03:31:53 pm »
Cheers. Mega paranoid about gunk caused from the PCV valve. But i do want the engine bay to look "fairly" standard.

Well worth doing I would say.. I have seen valves that are pretty scary! There is some pics about from a car that has 80k miles on it somewhere and they are fooked!!!!!

they saw 15bhp on the dyno when they fitted the twin take, compared to 4-5bhp from just the one they tried forst of all

I can believe it.. They actually saw upto 18bhp on certain runs so quoting 15bhp is actually on the safe side.. Either way im very happy lol..

Offline nick-barnes07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 03:38:17 pm »
my golf has 96k on now, so will see how fooked the valves are when i rip the engine apart to put new pistons/rods and super tch valves in

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 03:39:28 pm »
Bet it wont be pretty.. Good excuse to do what your doing though mate! :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 03:41:40 pm by jonnyc »

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 03:40:31 pm »

Well worth doing I would say.. I have seen valves that are pretty scary! There is some pics about from a car that has 80k miles on it somewhere and they are fooked!!!!!

Mines just over 20k now. So would rather prevent rather than fix at a later date. Emailed Forge to ask the question. No mention of prices on the site, can you PM me a rough cost if you dont want it public?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 03:42:45 pm by Deako »