Make a donation

Author Topic: Just changed winter tyres for summer  (Read 822 times)

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
Just changed winter tyres for summer
« on: December 19, 2012, 06:59:49 pm »
TBH, since I put the winter tyres on all round, I've only noticed better grip at lower temps ~<4*C
But anything approaching 10*C the summers were a lot better.

So I decided to swap the fronts (kept the rears in winter mode) to summers, Eagle F1 AS2's.. a simple swap as I have 8 Monza alloys.

The temp outside here today was 9*C... the result?  The car felt MUCH better, a lot less wheelspin and more grip in the corners.

It's set to be about 5*C tomorrow with rain, so it will be a true test.  My winter boots aren't cr@p either; 'Good year Ultragrip' in the same size as the summers.

Reason for the change was primarily because I was chewing through the winter tyres at an alarmaing rate, and didn't want to get caught out when the proper weather arrives  (which seems to be around Feb/March over the last few years) :smiley:

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Just changed winter tyres for summer
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:02:00 pm »
You must have time on your hands. Exactly how fast are you driving your car to notice these differences in grip, because to be honest, in normal driving, my winters feel very like my summer tyres.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 07:04:04 pm »
I read this earlier. Continental suggest if you can only run one tyre year round, to choose a winter tyre, and that the degradation of the rubber is no worse in higher temps.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/uk/en/continental/automobile/themes/4x4-tyres/winter-tyres/why_winter/4x4_why_winter_en.html

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 07:09:17 pm »
Only takes 10 mins to change a couple of wheels.  Yeah normal driving they are quite similar... but when pushing on, the winters definitely seem worse at the temperatures stated.  Perhaps I'm pushing on a little too much, but its noticable to make comment.

I can't see how the K04 stage 1 / 2 etc get on at all in the winter, without some serious throttle sympathy.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 07:15:05 pm »
Have you tried other brands of winter tyre?

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 07:20:44 pm »
Have you tried other brands of winter tyre?

I haven't on the Golf yet... but I am tempted by the Continental WinterContact TS jobbies, as they seem better than the Ultragrip's... if I can find some (6mm+) part worns I'll give them a go.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 07:27:57 pm »
Ultimately I think at this time of year you're never going to find a tyre that covers all bases flawlessly. I'm always really impressed by the dry grip of mine, and in snow and ice they're laughably good. But in wet, greasy conditions they don't inspire a lot of confidence. The grip is still there and I've noticed no aqua planing, but there is certainly a lack of feedback and connection to the road.

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 07:37:48 pm »
I think you make a valid point.
I'll probably keep the AS2's on the front until the temp really plummets / we get some snow, rather than have no tread left on the winters when I really need it (I live up a big hill).  :smiley: