Make a donation

Author Topic: A few problems  (Read 1867 times)

Offline nobby

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
A few problems
« on: July 05, 2009, 09:15:57 pm »
Hi all
My gti pirelli is almost 12 months old and will be going into the stealers for it's 1st service in the next couple of weeks.
It has had the following problems for a while now and was wondering if anyone else has had the same or know what the fault is-
After being out in it, pull up, turn ignition off, radio turns off and doors unlock with key still in, occasionaly it does what it's supposed to do and do everything when the key is pulled out.
When i pulled off my drive this morning, sounded like the exhaust was dragging on ground, really loud metal clanging noise so i get out look underneath and it's fine, after a couple hundred yards it stops! but in the past i have had this problem before a couple of times whilst driving. The noise is from the rear area but i dont think its a stone trapped as it dont sound like it and not loud enough anyway.
I hope somebody may be able to shed some light and thanks.

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Re: A few problems
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 11:03:51 pm »
the metal sound could possibly be an exhaust heat shield? although you'd hear that quite a lot

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 11:12:32 pm »
yes it might be a stone in the brake disk trapped.... it can sound like a metal scraping clanging noise...

I'm guessing when you started to drive a couple hundred of yards the stone flew out...

If it was a serious problem... you'd be getting it all the time...

I might be totally wrong.. how many times have you had this sound ?

~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 11:26:52 pm »
I have also had this sounded like metal on metal, gave it a quick blast and not had it since. Although I have had wheel baring and suspension bushes ?? replaced since.
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 10:04:55 am »
Most likely a stone caught behind the brake guard.  It sounds like metal on metal, its just the stone clattering inside the guard, I now carry a screwdriver which enables me to push the guard a little to free any stones.  This was a problem for me recently as the road I live in had a few potholes and there were a lot of little chuckies kicking about.  All sorted now, but although it sounds like the rear end is dragging along the ground, it is in fact nothing to concern yourself with.

Offline nobby

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 12:29:47 pm »
Does sound like the obvious cause, thanks guys, i will get the stealer to check it out, any ideas on the ignition related problem?

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 12:35:18 pm »
i get the stome in rear brakes all the time, can sound very loud if you have a big one  :smiley:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 12:50:03 pm »
i get the stome in rear brakes all the time, can sound very loud if you have a big one  :smiley:

OOOOOeerrr Missus!