Make a donation

Author Topic: Castrol Cup in Poland Golf VI GTI 2013  (Read 13350 times)

Offline the bruce

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 05:44:08 pm by the bruce »
"You get what you pay for."

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
Re: Castrol Cup in Poland Golf VI GTI 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 08:33:20 am »
Very interesting!

Unfortunately it is about the Golf 6 but, being on the same platform as the Golf 5, we can "steal" some ideas and products:
1. The new Bilstein Clubsport will work on our cars and I am really curios to see how much better it is.
2. the front bumper and wheel arches are really nice. I saw on some forum a guy changing the front of his Golf 5 to look like a Golf 6 R. So this front bumper can also work on our cars  :evilgrin:
3. Interesting to see that there is no rear difusor and no large undertray. Maybe these are ruled out by the competition rules.
4. The rear spoiler doesn't seem to be adjustable. It also sits very low, maybe because the competition rules does not allow for a rear wing higher than the car.
5. New suspension arms, probably longer than the OEM ones.

I would really like to see this photo in high resolution:

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 02:24:31 pm »
5. New suspension arms, probably longer than the OEM ones.

I would really like to see this photo in high resolution:

I'd like to have a hi res too !!

Yes, the lower arms look stock but it seems they replaced them and one plausible
reason is they are longer. Why the hell they don't just take TT ones? Probably they
needed a different geometry.

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 08:09:54 pm »
1. I'm also dying to see a track comparison to the B16 or KW clubsport if there will ever be such thing
2. Don't think you'll be able to get your hands on one that easy as they will only make enough for their competition cars
3. I'm quite sure it's all about regulations. As you know all aerodynamic based devices under the car are very sensitive to track input as they rely on distance to ground to increase the ground effect. If a track is too bumpy, the aerodynamic addition from these devices may vary largely and fool the drivers wich can be very dangerous
4. I'm quite sure it is adjustable from those 2 screws on the legs but can't be clearly seen in the pics. Fom what I know span is limited to 1400mm on these cars and height/rear extension are also limited by regulations
5. From what I recall Seat supercopa also uses different suspension arms than oem, probably to alter the geometry of the car and get the roll center closer to the center of gravity !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 08:52:01 pm »
1. I'm also dying to see a track comparison to the B16 or KW clubsport if there will ever be such thing

I doubt we'll ever see this comparison. If we have huge luck a magazine does it.

2. Don't think you'll be able to get your hands on one that easy as they will only make enough for their competition cars

The regular Bilstein Clubsport is easily available. Shurely Bilstein does some mods
on the dampers on request. Swapping springs is easy.

3. I'm quite sure it's all about regulations. As you know all aerodynamic based devices under the car are very sensitive to track input as they rely on distance to ground to increase the ground effect. If a track is too bumpy, the aerodynamic addition from these devices may vary largely and fool the drivers wich can be very dangerous
4. I'm quite sure it is adjustable from those 2 screws on the legs but can't be clearly seen in the pics. Fom what I know span is limited to 1400mm on these cars and height/rear extension are also limited by regulations

Most probably all true.

5. From what I recall Seat supercopa also uses different suspension arms than oem, probably to alter the geometry of the car and get the roll center closer to the center of gravity !

Supercopa suspension = GT24 suspension is completely different from stock.
Different arms, different swivels, different struts, different steering rack, calipers mounted on reverse
and many things more.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 10:03:45 pm »
the bruce, I think fuscobal was refering to my post (points 1-5).

fuscobal Scirocco Cup uses fixed rear spoiler. So it might be the case here also. I think we can only guess if the rear wing is adjustable or not unless we see some more detailed pictures.

I would really love to see such a car upclose...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:37:36 am by rex »

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 10:25:34 pm »
 :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye:

Offline pitsirikas

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 11:49:29 am »
The rims............. :drool:

Manufacturer..?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:53:47 am by pitsirikas »

Don't drive faster than your angel can fly..!
                Respect a man's car and the man will respect you

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 04:24:03 pm »

ATS DTC

You'll easily see the 'ATS' badge:

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 11:40:23 am »

I doubt we'll ever see this comparison. If we have huge luck a magazine does it.

The regular Bilstein Clubsport is easily available. Shurely Bilstein does some mods
on the dampers on request. Swapping springs is easy.

Most probably all true.

Supercopa suspension = GT24 suspension is completely different from stock.
Different arms, different swivels, different struts, different steering rack, calipers mounted on reverse
and many things more.

In point 2 I was talking about the bumper, not the suspension :)

From the links above I see the rims are 8.5x18'' ATS (don't know the ET) and the slicks are Hankook 240/640-18. From the website http://www.hankooktire-eu.com/tires/racing-tires.html it may be the Ventus F200 wich can be found in that size. From http://motorsports.hankooktire.com/03_Technology/0102_circult.aspx they recommend a rim between 8 and 9.5'' for this tire (there is hard, medium and soft for this size available). The tire has a diam of 644mm, a section width of 245mm and tread width of 225mm. As a comparison, the 235/40/18 R888 I have is 648mm in diam, 244 section width (no tread width available). Seems the sizes are pretty close !

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 12:22:25 pm »
Then, my friend, you need 8.5 inch (not 8 inch like you have)!

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 10:56:25 am »
8" is the minimum allowed but 8.5"-9" would definately be better. However, it would be tough trying to justify buying a new set just for that....we'll see :)

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 01:44:44 am »
 :congrats:

:driver:

:drinking:

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 09:20:33 pm »
Very nice pics Bruce. I see their car has 2 radiators that look very much alike with our OEM aditional hot climate radiator. I wonder if they are both for water cooling or one for water and the other for oil ? Also, who makes those wide fenders and bonnet for that car. It drives me crazy knowing I can't have them on my car :(

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 09:52:37 pm »
The fenders and bonnet are available from VW Racing Poland, this is where we are sourcing them for our Time Attack Golf Mk6  :happy2: