All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Optimum Size Wheel/Tyre for performance/handling etc?...

<< < (4/5) > >>

J5BWS:
I really like my Monza's if I'm honest, much more than the 18" version (can't remember their name?), but I am concerned that the OZ or whatever I decide to go with will look a little small...

tony_danza:
Get 18s then - they're a very, very light wheel anyway, so you're still going to get some benefit. I did with mine.

If these are going to be your 365 wheels, then you've got to be 100% happy with them. You've just got to choose where you compromise, size or weight?

RedRobin:

--- Quote from: Hurdy on July 21, 2009, 09:56:56 am ---
The difference between a lightweight 17" wheel with grippy tyres and a 19" bling wheel is amazing.

You will be able to get an alloy at 17" weighing 7kg (OZ Alleggerita for example)
a typical aftermarket 19" bling alloy can weigh 14kg (Helios)

The tyres weigh about 0.5kg extra in the 17" size, so you have 6.5kg extra at each wheel = 26kg on the unsprung rotational weight.

To get the equivalent effect of this as deadweight in the car you need to multiply by 5, so......

26kg x 5 = 130kg

This affects accelleration, decelleration, fuel consumption, handling and ride quality.


--- End quote ---

....To put this very helpful info into perspective, does anyone know what the stock Monza 17s and 18s weigh each, please?

And are those weights given without tyres?

:happy2:

tony_danza:
Nips out to the garage....

A BBS Monza II 18" weighs 12.06 kilos, The Ronal version weighs more - rougly 1.5kilos iirc.

Also, Hurdy has been a bit over enthusiastic with the x5 calculation, whilst it is near impossible to give a 'rule' due to the differences in weights of barrels and the more of an effect rotating mass has dependant on how far it is from centre.. It is generally considered to be somewhere between a x3 and x4 effect, the latter being the more commonly used, depending on the wheel's size and weight, tyres obviously have weight differences and an effect too.

I'll ask my father in law (Prof. of engineering) to explain it a bit better than I remember from Physics and get a better idea of a more accurate x? effect for us.

RedRobin:

--- Quote from: tony_danza on July 23, 2009, 10:44:57 am ---
A BBS Monza II 18" weighs 12.06 kilos, The Ronal version weighs more - rougly 1.5kilos iirc.
 

--- End quote ---

....Probably because the BBS Monza has their Hollow Wheel Technology (their patents, I expect).

:happy2:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version