All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

RNS510 aftermarket install: problem with GPS fix

(1/3) > >>

Peskarik:
Had the RNS510 installed in my E30. Before it was this 500-series radio with inbuilt 6-disk changer.

VW service did the RNS510 installation, antenna went beneath the middle air vent on the dashboard.

The problem is, I never get more than 6 sattelites, most of the time it is 2,3, maybe 4. Or just 0.
So I may have 2D fix, but no 3D fix, and even with 2D fix the NAV may show me swimming over Zurich lake!  :innocent:

Read on sister forum that someone also had similar problem, while others do not have the problem (even though antenna is placed in same position).

I want the antenna to stay hidden, so basically there is no solution to the problem?

Also, is there any description (preferably with pictures) how to take the middle vent cover off? I want to see myself how antenna is  positioned.

stealthwolf:
clicky for removal of HU. Tells you how to remove the vents.

Don't know where VW stuck the antenna but I stuck mine here (red outline):

Greeners:
Mine is buried further down than that and haven't had a problem with signal so far.  :confused:

pazz:
How long have you had it turned on for? Mine took a good 30-40 mins to lock-on to my correct position when first used.

The unit remembers when it was last turned on by saving the GPS co-ordinates. If your someway away from that location it takes a while to re-adjust.

Peskarik:
well, it takes me about 30 minutes to get home from work, on a 50-60kmh lakeside road. When I get out of office I turn the system on and go to map (I like to see where I am on the road, it's kind of fun  :ashamed: ). And usually the map is correct, even if I do not have a 2D/3D fix, I see the map showing my position correctly. But then I turn of the main road just 20 meters (because of construction work) and NAV looses my coordinates and never regains them till I get home (about 15-20 minutes).

OR it could be that I have no lock when I get out of office, but then I have 2D lock (2-3-4 sattelites) but the system does not adjust my position, and I am driving over the water.  :confused: How come it is so slow?! My portable Nüvi is much faster to adjust.

Also funny thing, when I go from Zurich to work I usually have better luck with satellites than when I go from work home, on same road.  :confused:

I think maybe it is the position of the antenna. I want to see how the garage fixed it inside the vent.

Or do you guys think it could be something else?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version