All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area
RNS510 aftermarket install: problem with GPS fix
Peskarik:
--- Quote from: stealthwolf on July 23, 2009, 07:05:16 pm ---clicky for removal of HU. Tells you how to remove the vents.
Don't know where VW stuck the antenna but I stuck mine here (red outline):
--- End quote ---
Is that then placed right under the vent grille, or did you have to remove the vent assembly and put the antenna under there somewhere?
The guy on the site you provided put antenna somewhere deep behind glovebox compartment.
stealthwolf:
--- Quote from: Peskarik on July 23, 2009, 09:02:12 pm ---Is that then placed right under the vent grille, or did you have to remove the vent assembly and put the antenna under there somewhere?
--- End quote ---
Pretty much.
If you look closely at the pics in the link I gave you, you can just about see the 'vent arm' as I call it.
The first pic is removal of the vent control trim.
The second pic is removal of the top vent diffuser.
The third pic is the disconnection of the wiring (which you can ignore).
In the fourth pic, you can see part of the 'vent arm' in the bottom right hand corner of the pic. This is where I've attached my GPS antenna to.
So it's practically under the vent diffuser (basically follow steps 1 and 2 in the link)!
Peskarik:
--- Quote from: stealthwolf on July 23, 2009, 09:26:34 pm ---
--- Quote from: Peskarik on July 23, 2009, 09:02:12 pm ---Is that then placed right under the vent grille, or did you have to remove the vent assembly and put the antenna under there somewhere?
--- End quote ---
Pretty much.
If you look closely at the pics in the link I gave you, you can just about see the 'vent arm' as I call it.
The first pic is removal of the vent control trim.
The second pic is removal of the top vent diffuser.
The third pic is the disconnection of the wiring (which you can ignore).
In the fourth pic, you can see part of the 'vent arm' in the bottom right hand corner of the pic. This is where I've attached my GPS antenna to.
So it's practically under the vent diffuser (basically follow steps 1 and 2 in the link)!
--- End quote ---
Roger, wilco, Red Leader!
pazz:
I just shoved my antenna behind the unit somewhere. Gives flawless GPS connection, never ever had a problem with it.
dajonic:
The picture stealthwolf has used is from my little mini instal set of photos as you can actually see where i stuck the puck antennae attached to the back of the dark plastic vent. You say you've also just installed the RNS510 as have I and I also have slight troubles with the unit starting up correctly and finding satellites but a couple of minutes and everything works well. It does get confused though when stopping and starting the car several times in a short space of time but I have been told the the unit needs coding to the vehicle or vise versa so maybe this is whats causing the satellite fix problem you have. I've just bought a hex-usg+can lead so should get it sorted later today.
The various bits of plastic are easy to remove and a old credit card is very much your flexible friend here and then i think a no20 hex screwdriver for a couple of screws. Beware though that if/when you disconnect the airbag light/sign thing you'll get a warning light in the instrument binnacle everytime you start the car afterwards so need that resetting too.
Its a little fiddly and if you a little larger than the normal greasy monkey/stereo fitter type then que lots of swearing, headbutting the windscreen and knocking the rearview mirror every 5 minutes just like me.
Good luck.
Navigation
[0] Message Index
[#] Next page
[*] Previous page
Go to full version