Make a donation

Author Topic: MK6 GTI - My observations  (Read 24112 times)

Offline x5pea

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
MK6 GTI - My observations
« on: July 26, 2009, 05:40:49 pm »

As some of you may know i sold my Green MK5 in favour of a MK6 GTI, few things ive noticed thus far.

As some people have said its more like a MK5.5 rather than a MK6 but on closer inspection there are a lot of subtle changes which make the MK6 a big improvement over its older brother the MK5.

The floor pan, looks the same from what ive seen, the boot area is identical seat mounting again looks identical to that of the mk5. Suspension set up on the mk6 is the same 55mm strut but i havnet had a close enough look to figure out if a mk5 strut would fit ......yet.

RRP - Prices start at 22.5 grand and are specable up to around 30k im told, personally i went with Poverty Spec on mine because either i would upgrade the car myself cheaper or better over time.

Xenons - I didnt go for these due to the issues that have arisen with the Scirocco, at one point production was pushed back by some 3 months due to the issues with the new xenon units.

Sat Nav - Although the MK6 comes with the smaller and worse looking  RCD 210 VW upgrade to the RNS 510 is £1500 but they are on ebay for around £600 and retro fit is really easy so i opted to save a grand. Also the RCD510 is an extra £350 with comes std on the scirocco.

Adaptive Chassis Control - This comes std on the scirocco but as i plan to lower the car, i would eventually bin it so opted for the std sports suspension. All this is a essentially a dampening adjustable strut with an electronic adjuster at the bottom of the strut which adjust the dampening.

Leather - VW leather never last very well so std gti seats with an upgrade to follow and at £1675 its comparable if not more expensive than a retrim.

The Rest - Again i didnt bother with parking sensors, reversing camera,  cruise or phone prep.

Wheels I didnt upgrade to the 18" monzas but when i realised they were only £410 i wished i had, the mk6 really looks terrible on the std 17" monas i cant belive VW actually let it out the factory with them on. Even if i only run them for a few days before i fit 19/20's i wished i had added to the spec when ordering now.

Nice touches include the new take on the GTI Seats, New style gear knob, twin exit exhausts, New style steering wheel, larger clocks and the front bumper are my favourites this far.

Offline celica

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 0
Re: MK6 GTI - My observations
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 05:44:36 pm »
nice

i like the obervations

will this go through a well modded route like the mk5?
MKV Golf DSG

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 05:46:51 pm »
I see you've had it vinyl wrapped already!!! boom boom, tish!

Make sure you post some pics up when you change the wheels, I reckon it will really make the car look  :party:
White is definately the colour of the moment it seems.

Oh, and it is still a mk5.5
Andy
7R

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 06:13:10 pm »

I'm hearing stories that the Mk7 Golf has already been designed and will launch in Europe (not UK yet) early 2010.

Anyone else hearing this?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline x5pea

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 06:35:24 pm »

I'm hearing stories that the Mk7 Golf has already been designed and will launch in Europe (not UK yet) early 2010.

that is complete p1sh, there is no way on this earth VW would ever release a new model 2 years after the last

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 06:35:55 pm »
I very much doubt that robin, i was told they are aiming for 6 years from the mk6

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 07:21:23 pm »
If they do bring out the MKVII it will probably be a MK5.5 versionB :laugh:

Oh and I do like the MKVI in white Mr Pea :happy2:

And you are absolutely bang on about the 17" wheels :sad1:
Golf R gone.

Offline TurboTrev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 07:31:24 pm »

Yes, I'd heard something similar. 

Nice car x5pea and I agree 18s should have been spec'd, but a set of 19/20s will improve it 100% - what style have you got in mind?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 07:35:51 pm »
Hmmm....the car exterior looks nice but the interior is gash. Looks better in real life.

Not a fan of the tartan. The centre console looks crap (filled grabbed handles etc). Clocks look nice. Does highline come as standard?

I might nosey on down to a local VW garage for a test drive to see what it's like but I'm happier with my ED30.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 07:42:19 pm »

Yes - i read a while back VW werent planning to keep the Golf MK6 out very long !!!
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 08:40:40 pm »
Very nice.

But what happened to the bonnet around the raised area on top of the badge? Also, looks like something has been pressed against the drivers seat?

Offline Caz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • Golf GT Sport TDi - called Gordon
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 08:41:28 pm »
lovely car! very very very jelous!  :drool:

everyday, i have i sit and look at the white mk6 gti in our showroom..  :sad:

got to say, the only thing that i can fault it on (without driving it, they wont let me yet.lol) is the radio system.. it's awfull looking..  :confused:
".. in the process of learning the vw service trade!"

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 10:54:46 pm »
Very nice.

But what happened to the bonnet around the raised area on top of the badge? Also, looks like something has been pressed against the drivers seat?

Just realised it still has the PDI sheet on it. LOL. But i wouldnt be impressed if my car was delivered with those impressions on the seat.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 11:12:14 pm »
i do love that car mate, other than the wheels.

and you are dam right on not spending the money you did if your going to be Modding. Especially about the RNS and the leather!!

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 08:10:38 am »
As above the 17'' wheels are terrible.Love the new seats & steering wheel but the rear lights just don't look right?.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 10:59:10 am by Gene Hunt »
ED35. Standard factory condition.