Make a donation

Author Topic: Quaife ATB Diff....  (Read 58097 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Quaife ATB Diff....
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 03:08:01 pm »
cheers red , i dont think thats all that expensive really , less than the bbs ck s i ve been looking at !!!!!!  which do i get first ??????????  happy new year  :happy2:

....Well it's only my opinion, but it's a no-brainer in favour of the ATB diff. Especially on a remapped Ed30 like yours because the Quaife comes into play more often with more neddies at the front wheels.

The diff won't stop your TC lighting up but it will very greatly reduce the time it takes to grab traction and it will greatly soften any juddering as your wheels/tyres grapple for adhesion.

From the point of view of clutch wear, it's good that it's not as efficient as quattro.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 03:19:11 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 03:14:41 pm »
....But isn't 'predictive' where the problem potentially is? - In the same way that the GTI's ESP thinks for you and can cut power when you don't want it to.

I find VWR's Quaife diff so fast in its reaction that I don't see it as a negative.

Heh, that's just a software issue... it will be resolved in time as we develop new (and smarter) algorithms, use more sensors and throw more processing power at it.

...."will be resolved in time" doesn't satisfy my needs now.

...."more sensors" makes me think 'more room for error'. Sometimes sensors either fail or get dirty and malfunction.

With the Quaife it's Fit 'n Forget and just service your DSG box regularly which you should do anyway.

:happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 03:21:07 pm »

...."will be resolved in time" doesn't satisfy my needs now.

...."more sensors" makes me think 'more room for error'. Sometimes sensors either fail or get dirty and malfunction.

With the Quaife it's Fit 'n Forget and just service your DSG box regularly which you should do anyway.

Well, given you couldn't fit an electronic diff to your Golf now means that we're speaking purely hypothetically here ;) if you were to get an F430 or 599GTB I'm sure you'd find the e-diff more than satisfying! WRT sensors, remember, the ECU in the Golf is already collecting data from some several hundred sources (and data from other control units with other sensors) - so a few more won't hurt :P

I still look forward to getting a Quaife (eventually).

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 04:04:56 pm »
^^^^

Oh, believe me, I would find lots of aspects of a Ferrari extremely satisfying! I'm not knocking electronic diffs generally but just questioning their current development in the Golf range and it's not an option for a Mk5 anyway.

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 04:58:13 pm »
And from VWs previous versions of electronic control systems the odds are it will be pants. :evilgrin:
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 12:40:26 pm »
I was just talking to a mate of mine last night who works for alfa and we got onto the subject of LSDs.  (The alfa 147 Q2 is one of only two cars i have driven with a LSD that i actually liked how it performed the LSD that is)
We got talking about the Q2 automatic torque biasing diff in alfas and the told me it can be bought as an accessory from Alfa parts department as a reto fit to fit to most there models. When i told him how much the quaife was i got the responce HOW MUCH! and he went on to say the alfa ones less than £300! or less than £500 fitted to say i was suprised is an understatment. Come on VW if there only going to be that much fit them as standard!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 01:04:56 pm by Snoopy »
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 10:20:31 pm »
I was at the Honda Dealership on Saturday and their Civic Type R championship edition has an ATB LSD fitted to it too. Numbered Plaque, White alloys and a few other bits are also fitted and the cost - £500 more than the stock Type R :surprised:

P!sses me off too that VW couldn't do something like this. :sad:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 12:29:01 am »
^^^^

The Japs understand the market for such versions much better than the Europeans. Just look at all the toys many performance Japanese cars come with straight out of the box.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 01:04:13 pm »
Some E-diffs are actually quite crude, for example the one on the 135i simply works by detecting spin and then it applies the brake to the inside wheel.

I guess we'll have to wait and see with the MKVI.
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 04:45:29 pm »

Here's a pic of the Quaife DSG diff (left) and the VW oem DSG diff (right).

Illyun's Quaife and jonnyc's (I think) stock diff.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 05:41:22 pm by RedRobin »

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 05:18:17 pm »
Thanks for that Robin... Looking very good   :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:  :party: :party: :party:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 05:27:10 pm »
LOL - are you living there at the minute RR?

I was speaking to Mark today as it happens regarding some brakes (long story, I'll start a thread) and I cannot give him enough praise. He's gone out of his way to help me over the past few days. I'm hoping to get a spin in their car at some point, so I can see what I'm missing and have even greater LSD envy!!!

Everyone's cars are in safe hands for sure!
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 06:12:53 pm »
LOL - are you living there at the minute RR?

.... :laugh: Their garage is somewhat larger than mine!

I was speaking to Mark today as it happens regarding some brakes (long story, I'll start a thread) and I cannot give him enough praise. He's gone out of his way to help me over the past few days. I'm hoping to get a spin in their car at some point, so I can see what I'm missing and have even greater LSD envy!!!

Everyone's cars are in safe hands for sure!

....Yep, Mark and his team are genuine car enthusiasts and know a heck of a lot about the Mk5 platform. Very straight speaking, very honest, very skilled and very experienced - You just need to accept that they're not a shop/retailer and their priority is always racing and so fit in with their (sometimes changing) schedules and they'll make no difference in the service they give you whether you're spending £200 or £20,000.

:rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye:

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 11:25:12 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I hope thats not part of the Quaife LSD install procedure  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2009, 08:28:24 am »
Brilliant write up! On my list of to do's without a shadow of a doubt.  I believe
my Cupra manual box would be the same as Edition30?  Like someone above
 mentioned its just a case of BBS or Diff 1st!