Make a donation

Author Topic: 2.0 TFSI : PCV / Intake valve clogging : what/why/common solutions  (Read 81782 times)

Phil Mcavity

Re: 2.0TFSI : PCV / Intake valve clogging : what/why/common solutions
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2009, 03:24:58 pm »
I'm sad enough to get it delivered.  :evilgrin:
Let me know when you get it mate  :party:

Worth ago i think, then last resort , spending out on a catch can for the minute.

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2009, 03:26:07 pm »
Ahh, thought it was for just adding to the petrol.   :ashamed:

10K boost came out years ago which is a similar product I think.

Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2009, 03:27:59 pm »
http://www.wurth.co.uk/product-0893564.php
Good website isnt it!

Uses
System Cleaner should be used in the following situations:

•In the event of a loss of compression.
•If fuel consumption increases.
•If engine performance decreases.
•In the event of delayed accelerator response.
•Particularly suitable for use before tuning the engine and analysing exhaust gas emissions.

Thanks to Shaun T_T for the info on this product  :happy2:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:36:27 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2009, 03:38:27 pm »

hmm, I can't see that product helping with this issue as the fuel is sprayed directly into the cylinder leaving the inlet valves "untouched".

Usage -
Disconnect vacuum hose at a suitable point and insert Spray Probe (0891 564). With the engine warm and running at about 2000 rpm, spray HALF of the product evenly into all intake ducts whilst simultaneously moving the probe to and fro. Allow 30 minutes for the product to take effect and then add the rest of the product.

Other half in my car stu  :signLOL:  :wink: ........dam says you have to add the rest 30 minutes later  :ashamed:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2009, 03:40:15 pm »

Something else I've noticed is that the American GTI's don't have the 'charcoal'(?) box which we do.

Would someone care to educate me and possibly others what that box in front of the screenwash filler is, please : -

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2009, 03:42:53 pm »
This problem was more of a problem in america isnt it??

They use crap fuel 94 octane?? and 502 grade oil, which our longlife oil is alot better quality, so this issue may or may not be a major problem?

Can you honestly look at the pic of what SteveP's car collected in the catch can over 2k miles and think that the problem is confined to the US?

It's an inherent design "flaw" of the FSI engine.

Serously, there is some amazing BS about this!  I suggest you look at the innards of a conventionally fuel injected engine, or even an engine with a carb - because ALL engines, direct injection or NOT - will get carbon build up on valves.

The reason it is prevelant in the US is simply because the Yanks do NOT use 504.00 spec oils - and 504.00 spec oils are the ONLY oils specifically designed for FSI direct injection engines.  Secondly, as Phil Mcavity pointed out - the Yank fuel is much poorer quality than ours - Yankie fuel has a much greater amount of sulfur in it.  Finally, any carbon 'build up' on the back side of inlet valves will be made much worse if a non-standard air filter is used - because all the crap which enters the ports simply 'sticks' to the fine oil mist, and then burns like a cinder.

If you only use a quality 504.00 from a European oil company, and retain the original OEM paper air filter - then this will NOT be an issue!  :stupid:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2009, 03:44:43 pm »

hmm, I can't see that product helping with this issue as the fuel is sprayed directly into the cylinder leaving the inlet valves "untouched".

Then you don't really know much about how engines work.  Try googling 'valve overlap'
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2009, 03:49:27 pm »

Something else I've noticed is that the American GTI's don't have the 'charcoal'(?) box which we do.

Would someone care to educate me and possibly others what that box in front of the screenwash filler is, please : -

Yankie GTIs should have that!

Anyway, that is the carbon canister.  It basically stores excess 'vapour' from the fuel tank, and then when the engine is running under a certain operating condition (usually a high vacuum - but FSI engines don't usually create a high vacuum, so VW must have a different way) - the 'contents' of the canister get directed into the inlet manifold, and combusted in the engine.

Does that help?  :smiley:
------

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2009, 03:50:46 pm »

If you only use a quality 504.00 from a European oil company, and retain the original OEM paper air filter - then this will NOT be an issue!  :stupid:

....99.9% of us are using the better quality oil so that leaves the question of the air filter.

So I'm now wondering if a Catch Can system is needed at all for those with oem and not aftermarket air filters. Afterall, wouldn't VW have been aware of a direct injection system clog up in the longer term. And Jonny's car is far from stock!

^ Just thinking aloud and wondering.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2009, 03:54:48 pm »
Other half in my car stu  :signLOL:  :wink: ........dam says you have to add the rest 30 minutes later  :ashamed:

You really are as tight as two coats of paint aren't you  :signLOL:

I tried not to believe what they all say about you but you're making it difficult  :evilgrin:
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2009, 03:55:37 pm »

Would someone care to educate me and possibly others what that box in front of the screenwash filler is, please.

Yankie GTIs should have that!

Anyway, that is the carbon canister.  It basically stores excess 'vapour' from the fuel tank, and then when the engine is running under a certain operating condition (usually a high vacuum - but FSI engines don't usually create a high vacuum, so VW must have a different way) - the 'contents' of the canister get directed into the inlet manifold, and combusted in the engine.

Does that help?  :smiley:

....Yes it helps, Sean :drinking:

I've seen lots of pics (I think!!) of it not being in that position on American GTI's so I guess it must be positioned elsewhere.

[Goes off to trawl GOLFMKV forum across the pond]

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2009, 03:58:59 pm »
Other half in my car stu  :signLOL:  :wink: ........dam says you have to add the rest 30 minutes later  :ashamed:

You really are as tight as two coats of paint aren't you  :signLOL:

I tried not to believe what they all say about you but you're making it difficult  :evilgrin:
Yes i genarally do squeek when i walk  :laugh:, Just having a laugh, will order a Whole Can for myself.  :wink:

Undone the wrapping on your catch can yet mate?? :scared: 

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2009, 04:31:44 pm »
whats all the fuss about ?

through no fault of our own after relatively few miles and dependent on conditions the inlet tract on  TFSI engines starts to foul up.
dont think its just a high mileage issue , its happening to us all.  :confused:

heres jonnyc S3 8P (still the 2.0 TFSI) intake valve from a stripdown at xx,xxx miles :

jonnyc's S3 stripped

Erm, that is fairly normal for any engine.  OK, it may be a little crusty, but I personally don't consider that to be too excessive.  So why was the engine stripped down in the first place?

But a few other vital pieces of info need to be shared:
  • How many miles has the car done
  • Exactly what spec and brand of oil has been used
  • What spec and type of fuel has been used
  • What air filter is/has been used
  • How is the engine driven (particularly during the warm up cycle)
  • What kind of journeys does the car do
  • What is the emissions reading from the exhaust gas
  • Has any of the engine related warning lights come on
  • Are there any fault codes stored
  • Have any live on the fly data logging been carried out, particularly on the A/F and lambda readings
  • Is there any history of overfilling the oil sump
  • What is the oil consumption history

Because posting pics like that is really verging on the 'scaremongering'.
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2009, 04:40:25 pm »
This problem was more of a problem in america isnt it??

They use crap fuel 94 octane?? and 502 grade oil, which our longlife oil is alot better quality, so this issue may or may not be a major problem?

Can you honestly look at the pic of what SteveP's car collected in the catch can over 2k miles and think that the problem is confined to the US?

I havn't seen any pics, but to be brutally honest, if you fit a catch can on ANY engine, it will catch oil - that is its sole purpose!

It's an inherent design "flaw" of the FSI engine.

Sorry, but strongly disagree - very strongly disagree!

IF it were a design flaw, why have hundreds, even thousands of peeps not been complaining to BBCs Watchdog, or What Car, or Auto Express - or what about the motoring sections of the respectable newspapers, such as the MotoringTimes and the likes.

Nope, this is just blatant scaremongering - someone over the pond didn't like the plastic PCV, thought they could make one out of alloy, and then used a 'normal' but slightly scary scenario to sell their wares.  And I'm sure we all need NO reminding that with the Yanks, if a part can be changed, then it will - irrespective of weather it needs it or not.
------