Make a donation

Author Topic: Hardware needed and cost to prepare for Stage 2  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Gasman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Hardware needed and cost to prepare for Stage 2
« on: August 28, 2013, 08:14:12 pm »
I've had my car a month or so now (standard GTI) which has been remapped by a previous owner.  I'd ke to upgrade to a stage 2 for some extra power.  Am I right in thinking I would need the following

1.    A decent induction kit or Panel filter
2.    Full turbo back exhaust with 100cell or de cat
3.    S3 Intercooler
4.    OEM ‘G’ Revision diverter valve

Anything else? Do I need to upgrade to a KO4 turbo as well?

Any idea how many beer vouchers I need to set aside to have it all supplied and fitted?

Thanks
Steel Grey GTI, 19" BBS RD383 wheels, R32 rear bumper, BCS R32 style cat back

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Hardware needed and cost to prepare for Stage 2
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 08:40:26 pm »
If you want stage 2 then you only NEED a Performance downpipe which will cost approx £500 the rear cat back section will produce negligible horsepower gains and isnt required at any stage of tune.  Depending on your software you will have to pay for the software to be updated to a stage 2 setup, as a rough guide this is £50 for REVO, Free for APR, £100 for Shark Performance.

An induction kit ISN'T needed.  But it will help unleash another 10-15Hp.  This cna be done at anytime as the ECU will adapt to this on its own, so no software tweaks required.
An intercooler ISN'T needed.  But it will help unleash another 10-15Hp.  This cna be done at anytime as the ECU will adapt to this on its own, so no software tweaks required.

Typical figures

Stage 2 map + Performance downpipe; 250-260Hp
Stage 2 map + Performance downpipe & Intake; 260-265hp

Alternatively

Stick a K04 turbo and S3 injectors (£500 ish) on the car keep the stock intake, intercooler and exhaust, then get a custom map and you'll be seeing 280-300Hp.

Offline Gasman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 09:03:45 pm »
If you want stage 2 then you only NEED a Performance downpipe which will cost approx £500 the rear cat back section will produce negligible horsepower gains and isnt required at any stage of tune.  Depending on your software you will have to pay for the software to be updated to a stage 2 setup, as a rough guide this is £50 for REVO, Free for APR, £100 for Shark Performance.

An induction kit ISN'T needed.  But it will help unleash another 10-15Hp.  This cna be done at anytime as the ECU will adapt to this on its own, so no software tweaks required.
An intercooler ISN'T needed.  But it will help unleash another 10-15Hp.  This cna be done at anytime as the ECU will adapt to this on its own, so no software tweaks required.

Typical figures

Stage 2 map + Performance downpipe; 250-260Hp
Stage 2 map + Performance downpipe & Intake; 260-265hp

Alternatively

Stick a K04 turbo and S3 injectors (£500 ish) on the car keep the stock intake, intercooler and exhaust, then get a custom map and you'll be seeing 280-300Hp.

Thanks a lot. So by the looks of it the best bang for my buck would be to change the turbo and down pipe for about a grand then get a custom map? I'm assuming my turbo is a K03 and hasn't already been upgraded by a previous owner.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 10:33:19 pm »
Look at a 200 Cell Sports Cat as that will pass an MOT (when warm) unlike the other options you mention.

Add a new uprated clutch to the list (if your cars a manual) as it may be needed. An organic Sachs or Helix and probably a new DMF or a SMF too. Reckon on £1k plus if needed.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 10:19:17 am »

Thanks a lot. So by the looks of it the best bang for my buck would be to change the turbo and down pipe for about a grand then get a custom map? I'm assuming my turbo is a K03 and hasn't already been upgraded by a previous owner.

Best bang for buck would be just the K04 Turbo with a custom map whilst retaining the stock intake, stock exhaust and stock intercooler.  In essence you will have turned your GTI into a stage 1 Ed30/Cupra(280-300Hp).  Then at a later date when you have the funds or when you decide you want more power you can begin to add the performance exhausts, intakes and intercoolers etc to gain some more ponies.

Offline Gasman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 11:43:03 am »
Look at a 200 Cell Sports Cat as that will pass an MOT (when warm) unlike the other options you mention.

Add a new uprated clutch to the list (if your cars a manual) as it may be needed. An organic Sachs or Helix and probably a new DMF or a SMF too. Reckon on £1k plus if needed.

Ok thanks.  Didn't realise a 100 cell wouldn't pass an mot.  :happy2:

Offline Gasman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 11:45:48 am »

Best bang for buck would be just the K04 Turbo with a custom map whilst retaining the stock intake, stock exhaust and stock intercooler.  In essence you will have turned your GTI into a stage 1 Ed30/Cupra(280-300Hp).  Then at a later date when you have the funds or when you decide you want more power you can begin to add the performance exhausts, intakes and intercoolers etc to gain some more ponies.

Ok nice one.  Where's the best place to get a k04 from?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 06:06:06 pm »
Try the likes of Statllers, AKS tuning and other companies.  they sometimes have them lieing around the garage, alternatively, look on ebay or buy new.

Hurdy might have his for sale since he has fitted the new LOBA unit.

Offline Gasman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 07:31:56 pm »
Try the likes of Statllers, AKS tuning and other companies.  they sometimes have them lieing around the garage, alternatively, look on ebay or buy new.

Hurdy might have his for sale since he has fitted the new LOBA unit.

Thanks mate ill make some calls