Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk7 R Build thread now up  (Read 240602 times)

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
Re: The Red Mistress
« Reply #690 on: March 15, 2016, 07:58:10 pm »

I can't help but think that with the step up in spec, tech & platform that you'd be better waiting for a Mk7 R in red, if you spending 22k+

Clitoris car though the MK7 R, Seen 3 today on the M1. Do nothing for me to be honest, Even in a few years when they come down in price which they will as the market is saturated with all the Lease deals I doubt I will ever want one.

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #691 on: March 15, 2016, 07:58:59 pm »
I like that thought of an RS3 - plus he has a real good eye for detail so finding the right one will take him time.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #692 on: March 15, 2016, 11:17:40 pm »

I can't help but think that with the step up in spec, tech & platform that you'd be better waiting for a Mk7 R in red, if you spending 22k+

Their looks still need to grow on me though. If I do end up spending more than £20k+ it will be the RS3.

I like that thought of an RS3 - plus he has a real good eye for detail so finding the right one will take him time.

Me too and thank you.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #693 on: March 15, 2016, 11:36:54 pm »
Didn't think it would take long to sell been a excellent example Martin,bet when it drove away you was thinking have i done the right thing!But on wards and upwards mate and good to see it stay on the forum

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #694 on: March 16, 2016, 06:50:28 am »
I couldn't watch it it drive away......could hear it though with the Powervalve zorst burbling away!  :grin:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #695 on: April 17, 2016, 02:37:19 pm »
Well the search continues.....

I visited a Audi main dealer yesterday to view, to tyre kick and to test drive a RS3 (8P) and left an hour or so later less sure than when I arrived.  :sad1:

I found the interior dated, the steering wheel less comfortable (or maybe less tactile is a better term) than the Mk6 GTI wheel I had fitted in the Mistress plus the Headunit wasn't even up to Mk5 RNS standard but you don't buy a RS3 for the interior do you. IMHO is an OK car to look at, it's understated to the point of looking like any other A3 on the road.......and all this for £27k.  :stupid:

Test drive was great (salesmen was a petrolhead) and car is PROPER quick and the delivery of that power was a big BIG plus. The RS3 is down on power compared to my old Mistress but it certainly felt quicker and lot more sure footed thanks to the 4WD It handles really well, great around the twisty bits too. Stage 1 map will see approx 400bhp which would be awesome and great fun but yet to be convinced the RS3 is any better than a Mk6 R or Mk7 R with similar power so back to the search for now.

Mk6 R's are still holding their prices whereas ive been offerered 2 second hand Mk7 R's from main dealers for circa £24k in my desired spec minus a few options. Decisions decisions.

:thinking:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 02:49:31 pm by MC71 »

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #696 on: April 17, 2016, 04:30:48 pm »
Well the search continues.....

I visited a Audi main dealer yesterday to view, to tyre kick and to test drive a RS3 (8P) and left an hour or so later less sure than when I arrived.  :sad1:

I found the interior dated, the steering wheel less comfortable (or maybe less tactile is a better term) than the Mk6 GTI wheel I had fitted in the Mistress plus the Headunit wasn't even up to Mk5 RNS standard but you don't buy a RS3 for the interior do you. IMHO is an OK car to look at, it's understated to the point of looking like any other A3 on the road.......and all this for £27k.  :stupid:

Test drive was great (salesmen was a petrolhead) and car is PROPER quick and the delivery of that power was a big BIG plus. The RS3 is down on power compared to my old Mistress but it certainly felt quicker and lot more sure footed thanks to the 4WD It handles really well, great around the twisty bits too. Stage 1 map will see approx 400bhp which would be awesome and great fun but yet to be convinced the RS3 is any better than a Mk6 R or Mk7 R with similar power so back to the search for now.

Mk6 R's are still holding their prices whereas ive been offerered 2 second hand Mk7 R's from main dealers for circa £24k in my desired spec minus a few options. Decisions decisions.

:thinking:

Interior - surprised re. the wheel (I've got the black edition one in my 8P3, not too disimilar to the new ones) and I love it tbh. I know what you mean re. the infotainment/media/MMI system. I hate that mine isn't touch screen (basically the same unit as the later Gallardo's/MK1 R8), although it's good in other ways - the nav is particularly good for example, as are the traffic updates.

Is it touch screen in the 8V RS3? Guessing not if you weren't too impressed.

Couldn't agree more re. the plain appearance (barring the wide dual pipes at the back). When you see one coming towards you, it could be a 1.6tdi S-Line.... or, oh no - it's an S3, oh no - actually it's an RS3  :grin: :laugh: :grin: :laugh: That said, most of the Audi range is like that now. From A1 right up to A8...

A Mk6 R will be lighter than the 8V RS3 and at least you know you'll like the feel and with some hardware notches and armour, it'll be properly quick just like the current mistress  :smiley:

Tricky one between 6R & 7R considering 7R's have dropped to 24.5k last time I checked...  :popcornsoda:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=89dkdg0no8uafehf3bi953udft&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #697 on: April 17, 2016, 04:35:25 pm »
7R

Offline beetie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #698 on: April 17, 2016, 05:08:15 pm »
Hold on for what you want. Don't give up on a red mk6 r.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #699 on: April 17, 2016, 08:19:47 pm »
7R

^THIS - although I am biased  :innocent:

With the 6R, you would be buying all the same mods over again - same intake, HPFP. . Etc.

At least with the 7R you get some different components  :grin:

7R tuning is getting crazy at the minute - even R-Tech are starting to look at them. 380bhp is possible with just a downpipe, intake pipe (airbox to turbo) and a map. If you add an intercooler and an airbox, that's 407bhp  :jumping:

Whichever way you go - the 6R and the 7R are great cars  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #700 on: April 17, 2016, 09:21:12 pm »
Totally appreciate how good the 7R is but....

I really dislike them, Every time I see one I just think "Oh another 7R for the 3rd time today"  :indifferent:

It is a tough decision and after coming from a sorted ED30 the decision must be even harder, I enjoyed my 6R but I reckon if I ever bought another I would want a Stage 2+ car.

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #701 on: April 17, 2016, 09:29:28 pm »
Totally appreciate how good the 7R is but....

I really dislike them, Every time I see one I just think "Oh another 7R for the 3rd time today"  :indifferent:

It is a tough decision and after coming from a sorted ED30 the decision must be even harder, I enjoyed my 6R but I reckon if I ever bought another I would want a Stage 2+ car.

My ed30 was more fun around the twisty bits as it's more lighter...
The 6R wins on a better interior & better build quality & also most importantly
The traction

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #702 on: April 17, 2016, 10:06:55 pm »
My ed30 was more fun around the twisty bits as it's more lighter...
The 6R wins on a better interior & better build quality & also most importantly
The traction
Just some materials improved and some dash bits, beneath the plastics you'll see a lot more rust in a mk6 than in a mk5. Just remove your cluster and see how the metal looks. A mk5 should be rust free but the mk6 have less metal treatment to prevent rust.

Not sure if the subframe of your mk6 is made of aluminium or not like the mk5 have. At least the R has the front control arms made of cast iron like the mk5 with at least 140 PS. The mk6 GTI has sheet metal control arms.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #703 on: April 17, 2016, 11:40:08 pm »
Thanks for your opinions chaps, I am genuinely interested in my fellow VAG lovers thoughts!  :happy2:

The Mk7 is growing on me, as @GrayMK5GTI Graeme says they have great tuning potential (I saw on Facebook that Niki was tinkering with one the other day  :popcornsoda:).

They are getting cheaper due to amount that are coming onto the second hand market. Just As an example, one below for £24k (read £22.5k on VW finance which you pay off the day you get home  :innocent:).......

~~Clicky here~~

There are standard Mk6 R's that are still commanding that price, around £21k+. Id be hard pressed to choose the Mk6 over the Mk7 if they is only a few quid between them.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #704 on: April 18, 2016, 12:12:56 am »
7 r Martin