Make a donation

Author Topic: cam shaft adjuster  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Tommytank

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
cam shaft adjuster
« on: April 10, 2014, 07:00:31 pm »
bought my car close to a year ago its done 110,000 miles and im pritty sure my camshaft adjuster is gone its going to cost over 800 quid to do :(
its a golf gti mk5 06 plate is it worth spending the money on ? or just selling ?
i did like this car just causing me to many problems :(

Offline Degudodger

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
Re: cam shaft adjuster
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 08:25:13 pm »
Personally i would spend the money, who's to say you will not have the same issue if you buy another car.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline Tommytank

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 08:33:24 pm »
mabe but i also wouldnt mind getting an edition 30 but they are quite expensive :/

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 10:51:22 pm »
bought my car close to a year ago its done 110,000 miles and im pritty sure my camshaft adjuster is gone its going to cost over 800 quid to do :(
its a golf gti mk5 06 plate is it worth spending the money on ? or just selling ?

How do you know the camshaft adjuster has gone tits up?  Have you scanned it with VCDS or similar?  The camshaft adjusters are a 'monitorable' item, and will store a DTC (fault code) if faulty.  They can also be manually activated via VCDS, and can also output live operational data, also on VCDS.

What symptoms are you getting?

£800 seems extortionally steep - usually the failure is due to its actuating valve (about £60) which is literally a 10 minute fix (8 of those minutes will be spent swearing whilst trying to remove the top cover).

It would be increadibly rare for the internal vane actuator to go tits up - unless oil change intervals have been neglected, or shyte oil has been used.

Tell us more.  :smiley:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Tommytank

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 08:40:11 am »
Well I have been having loads of problems with it
It's sounds like a tractor
I have fitted PVC valve lambda sensor camshaft sensor
I still have a code for  evap system which I have unplugged and now I'm getting 30mpg where as before I was getting 21
The camshaft sensor code has come back
And I have a code for crank sensor aswell
Codes are
Poo16 crank shaft positron correlation
Poooa camshaft slow response
The crank shaft one says on rose tech camshaft adjuster ?
Cheers for the help :) any think to make this a cheaper fix would be much apreated :)

Offline Tommytank

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 11:04:02 am »

How do you know the camshaft adjuster has gone tits up?  Have you scanned it with VCDS or similar?  The camshaft adjusters are a 'monitorable' item, and will store a DTC (fault code) if faulty.  They can also be manually activated via VCDS, and can also output live operational data, also on VCDS.

What symptoms are you getting?

£800 seems extortionally steep - usually the failure is due to its actuating valve (about £60) which is literally a 10 minute fix (8 of those minutes will be spent swearing whilst trying to remove the top cover).

It would be increadibly rare for the internal vane actuator to go tits up - unless oil change intervals have been neglected, or shyte oil has been used.

Tell us more.  :smiley:

Oh and I don't have vcds just Delphi it's crap !!