Author Topic: BKD Turbo Removal  (Read 3901 times)

Offline Kalpesh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
BKD Turbo Removal
« on: May 30, 2014, 06:21:20 AM »
Hi all,

Looking for a guide to help if anyone has one or can point me in the right direction

Thanks

Kalpesh

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 83
Re:
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 07:38:30 AM »

VCDS (Preston, Lancashire)

Offline kevster996

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: BKD Turbo Removal
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 11:29:16 PM »
Ive just done this on my 2005 GT TDI 140 4motion and its a bit of a pig of a job due to access. I did manage to pull the turbo out of the top of the engine but I split the turbo off the DPF/exhaust to make it easier (danger of doing this is that bits may drop down from insdie the turbo if you're not careful).

I had already removed the EGR cooler and EGR as it dumped about 4 litres of coolant in, in a few miles (luckily had 5 litres in the boot as it had been leaking on long journeys). Not having the cooler in the way was a big bonus, its clearly been changed once already.

My clamp on the exhaust side was stuck on so that took a while to get freed off as so little space to get tools in there, I got a few swings at it by using extensions bars and a hammer from above and plenty of wd40. I dropped the O/S drive shaft so I could undo the bolts (5 I think) holding the turbo to the exhaust side casing and also get to the oil pipe bolts on the turbo.

The bolt holding the DPF on was a pain to get to and tight - its a 13mm and you can undo from above by getting a ratchet on the underside - easier than undoing the 3 bolts on the block.

I ordered a new vacuum actuator as mine didnt feel very smooth and its one more thing to iron out the limp mode issue. The fuel temp sensor was coming up as a fault - seems intermittent but cheap to replace and tidied up and checked the wiring to it as it was a bit messy.

The turbo itself wasnt as bad as I thought it would be and the VNT flaps were free - it probably got a bit of a clean when 4 litres of water got dumped through the engine! The EGR was squeaky clean when that came off - again prob from the cooler failure.

Fingers crossed getting it all back on once Ive got a few new parts in. I hope this fixes the intermittent limp mode as Im running out of ideas!
Golf 5 2005, 2.0 TDI 4motion, remapped to 175bhp, lowered on eibach springs, GTI front end, GTI half leather interior

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 22
Re: BKD Turbo Removal
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 04:11:57 PM »
@kevster996

Isn't yours a BKD engine too (same as mine) which doesn't have a DPF? Also, I had coolant dump issues on mine and it was a failed head/gasket. Early BKD engines are prone to porous heads, so I just replaced the engine all in one. Mine was blowing the coolant out of the expansion/top-up bottle, so may be a completely different issue.

I have to fit a turbo and change my clutch soon, so the less painless way (certainly on a 4motion) is taking the front off and having the engine out, but I know that's not an option for everyone (I just move the whole rad pack to one side, so no AC re-gas issues).

Good luck

Stu
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 04:29:36 PM by Stupots »
VW Golf Mk5 TDI Sport 4Motion