Make a donation

Author Topic: General question (not MK5 related) - Rear Brake Bias Setup  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
General question (not MK5 related) - Rear Brake Bias Setup
« on: July 03, 2014, 06:41:28 pm »
I am currently helping my brother with his Peugeot 306 track car. We removed the rear beam to fit a lowered one with his new suspension. When the old one came off we found everything to be in very bad shape. Caliper, brake pipes etc all excessively corroded.

So he has ordered some new calipers, abs sensors and pipe so we can re-do the rear brake setup. With removing the old rear beam we also found the load sensing bias valve was shagged so decided to bin it.

My question is, can we pipe straight from the ABS unit to the rear calipers without fitting an aftermarket brake bias valve inside the car? My understanding would be that the ABS should sort it out if a wheel was to lock?

And if an aftermarket valve was needed, could we get the 2 pipes from the ABS unit for the rear, inside the car, tee so it went into a single pipe through the bias valve, single coming out the bias valve then split back into 2 pipes again to run to each rear caliper?

Hopefully that makes sense. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

:happy2:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 06:59:49 pm by Matto »

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: General question (not MK5 related) - Rear Brake Bias Setup
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 07:09:15 pm »
My understanding is when they are knackered, they give far too much effort to the rear - causing lockup. You want an inline bias really.
Sideways yo!

Ben!

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 08:27:27 pm »
I guess you've got this sorted by now, but thought I'd reply anyway. I'd get an aftermarket valve, otherwise the rear brakes will always be too powerful in relation to the fronts, and I wouldn't want to be using the ABS all the time to even it out.
As for running the two lines from the module, into one line into the bias valve, would this not prevent the ABS for the rear working on individual wheels?

Is your brother on any of the 306 forums?

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 02:59:16 pm »
Yeah we got it sorted. As we ran out of time we just ran pipes from the ABS pump straight to the rear inside the car just in case we needed to chop in and add a bias valve.

He has done a trackday since and has found it fine without any bias valves and without the ABS being activated all the while.