Make a donation

Author Topic: Who should I use to remap my ED30 to stage 1?  (Read 5624 times)

Offline chipmunk82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Who should I use to remap my ED30 to stage 1?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2014, 11:14:58 pm »

2...The Driver

defo the main thing

Take it easy on the clutch and it'll last longer

It sounds like you've had yours from new, mine is still quite low mileage at 48k but I've only had it for 1k of that!
No control over the previous owners driving so the clutch risk is higher, depends how worn it is already but hopefully not too bad as standard as long as it's not been remapped and put back to standard for a sale!

Hard to define a driving style but I tend to prefer the kick of 2nd and 3rd rather than pushing the torque to 6th gear all the time or top end speed
My plans are for the precat removal, induction and an R-tech map so hopefully about 310bhp

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2014, 11:49:47 pm »
^^^^ Plan on a new uprated clutch and if one is not needed, all the better, you've pocketed £1k.

Some clutches go at stage 1 (straight away) and some are fine with stage 2+.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2014, 11:58:31 pm »

2...The Driver

defo the main thing

Take it easy on the clutch and it'll last longer

It sounds like you've had yours from new, mine is still quite low mileage at 48k but I've only had it for 1k of that!
No control over the previous owners driving so the clutch risk is higher, depends how worn it is already but hopefully not too bad as standard as long as it's not been remapped and put back to standard for a sale!

Hard to define a driving style but I tend to prefer the kick of 2nd and 3rd rather than pushing the torque to 6th gear all the time or top end speed
My plans are for the precat removal, induction and an R-tech map so hopefully about 310bhp

No I bought mine 2nd hand and I am the 3rd owner. Like I said, it has been stage 1 since the car was less than 6 months old

so its done 26k at stage 1 pretty much and then another 2k at stage 2 and it isnt slipping

if you drop a gear like you say you do then your clutch should last longer. its the ppl that hoof the car in 3rd gear at 30mph that kill their clutch/dmf
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2

Offline adminkatana

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2014, 12:14:00 am »
A friend sold me a bluefin the other day for a very good price. For the limited mods I'd like to do to the car it makes sense for me.

Uploaded it to my K03 GTI all ok and car does feel much much more responsive and with a lot more oomph. Having never driven or been in a Stage 1 GTI before though just wanted to ask something.

The car pulls away nicely, feels similar to the standard map at low revs. When it reaches ~2.5-3k rpm you do notice much more than the standard map a sudden shove of acceleration, from there on it's smooth power towards the red line. I assume it's the turbo kicking in, it just feels quite different to the standard map in the way you suddenly shoot off. Good fun, just different.

Does this sound normal? am I just being paranoid about a 75k car blowing up with whats considered quite a tame map?

Thanks for your advice.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2014, 07:38:33 am »
Bluefin is far from a tame map, and has been proven to max out the turbo on the K04 maps. If Superchips take the same approach to the K03 maps as they do for the K04 then a huge kick of boost sounds perfectly normal.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,65077.0.html
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline adminkatana

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2014, 03:40:28 pm »
Bluefin is far from a tame map, and has been proven to max out the turbo on the K04 maps. If Superchips take the same approach to the K03 maps as they do for the K04 then a huge kick of boost sounds perfectly normal.

Thanks for your help.

I was hoping to go up to R-Tech, the reviews on here are fantastic. But seeing as I was only going Stage 1 and I got the Bluefin for a very low price it seemed like a good idea.

I went down to my local garage this morning and person there used to have a remapped A3, he said it feels completely normal for a Stage 1. It's very smooth, just surprising how the power comes on compared to the standard map. It was just me worrying as I'd never driven or been in a mapped car before. It really changes the car, very nice to drive, can only imagine what some of the higher bhp Ed30's/R's must feel like!  :smiley:

Thanks again!

Offline edition30jmr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
  • ED30
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2014, 06:18:02 pm »

Thanks for your help.

I was hoping to go up to R-Tech, the reviews on here are fantastic. But seeing as I was only going Stage 1 and I got the Bluefin for a very low price it seemed like a good idea.

I went down to my local garage this morning and person there used to have a remapped A3, he said it feels completely normal for a Stage 1. It's very smooth, just surprising how the power comes on compared to the standard map. It was just me worrying as I'd never driven or been in a mapped car before. It really changes the car, very nice to drive, can only imagine what some of the higher bhp Ed30's/R's must feel like!  :smiley:

Thanks again!

Let me know how you get on with the bluefin when it's installed! Is yours manual or dsg?
Ed30 Beast!

Offline adminkatana

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2014, 12:36:02 pm »
It's a Manual K03 GTI.

Seems to be working very nicely. Had I not got such a good price though I'd definitely go up to R-Tech.

Offline audiman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2014, 08:33:57 am »
MRC Tuning in Banbury everytime for me. They have mapped every car I have owned over the last 10 years. Always helpful, always provide a great driving experience.
Mk5 GTi ED30 - 360ps
B7 RS4 supercharged - 650ps
Mk2 GTi 4motion 1.8T - 450ps