Make a donation

Author Topic: Dom's Tornado Red Gti - A bit of detailing  (Read 34511 times)

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 17
Dom's Tornado Red Gti - A bit of detailing
« on: July 08, 2014, 07:03:18 pm »
Hi everyone!

I've just bought this from a current forum member, the spec taken from the advert:

2005 VW Golf GTi MK5 3 door in Tornado Red
•   63k Miles and only 1 Previous owner
•   Factory fitted Xenons
•   Full Service Incl. Cambelt and water pump @ 59,000 miles
•   Full VW service history apart from the last one which was done by an independent
•   Loads of other work including a gearbox rebuild and new clutch under warranty by VW 18 months ago
•   Latest revision D/V, cam follower and temp sensors/thermostats replaced.

The modifications are:
•   Bluefin Stage 1 with handset
•   Complete R32 Brake set up (Front and Rear)
•   Cat back non res Miltek Exhaust
•   Pre cat removed
•   MK6 Golf R Multi function steering wheel with working controls
•   MK6 Golf Gear knob and Gaiter
•   Bumpers and Skirts Professionally colour coded
•   BSH Catch Can
•   MK6 'slow close' Tailgate handle
•   Armrest
•   R32 rear lights
•   Black grill badge
•   Powerflex Dog mount Bush

I took a bit of a gamble as I stuck the deposit down without seeing the car, however it was every bit as good as it looks in the pics!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:52:55 pm by dom069 »

BC Racing Coilovers : R32 Rear Bumper : Milltek Cat Back : R32 Rear Lights : S3 Brakes : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : 18" BBS CH : De-Wipered : Bluefin Remap : Pipercross Filter : S3 Short Shifter : Powerflex Wishbone Bushes : MK6 Steering Wheel : RCD510

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Dom's Tornado Red Gti
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 07:04:05 pm »
The 240 mile drive back from Portsmouth was a good way to give it a good test, the R32 brakes are awesome! I almost went through the windscreen the first time I used them :evil:

Got it home and squeezed it onto the drive, the neighbours must think we're mad! My girlfriend has just bought a new car so she has 2 on the drive already, now I have 2 as well :grin:

Just about squeezed it on though:

I gave it a quick scan for fault codes and it threw three up, one for the interior lights (the fuse has gone), one for the sunlight sensor on the dash and one for the alarm horn. I haven't set the alarm off to see if the horn sounds but I suspect the horn needs to be replaced. As for the sunlight sensors....not too sure what to do!

Anyway, I set the indicators as DRLs with Vagcom:

And I love xenons!

BC Racing Coilovers : R32 Rear Bumper : Milltek Cat Back : R32 Rear Lights : S3 Brakes : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : 18" BBS CH : De-Wipered : Bluefin Remap : Pipercross Filter : S3 Short Shifter : Powerflex Wishbone Bushes : MK6 Steering Wheel : RCD510

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 07:05:04 pm »
Did a couple of other bits yesterday, the alarm horn doesn't work so I need to get another one ordered.

When the Mk6 steering wheel was fitted, Lee fitted a cruise control stalk at the same time but forgot to fit the ECU wire so I've got one on ordered and took the trim off ready to fit and then code it:

I also took one of the tailpipes off to clean, refitted it so it sticks out a little less:

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 07:06:13 pm »
I'll keep this as up do date as I can, I've got lots of plans for it but it won't be a quick project.

Offline mk5Eire

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 09:28:00 pm »
Really like the mk6 steering wheel mate  :happy2:

And projectors just finish the front of the GTI's must look into a set for myself. Keep up the good work  :smiley:

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 09:34:28 pm »
Really like the mk6 steering wheel mate  :happy2:

And projectors just finish the front of the GTI's must look into a set for myself. Keep up the good work  :smiley:

Cheers, I can't take credit for the steering wheel, the previous owner fitted it - it's a great upgrade though!

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 08:04:28 pm »
The MK5 is looking a bit scared of the ground next to the MK4 :grin:

Got the exhaust sitting how I want it, I'm debating getting some GT100 tips to replace the current ones. I have them on the MK4 and prefer the look of them.

I also fitted the diagnostics wire from the steering wheel module to the ecu and coded in the cruise control :cool:

Offline a8rnx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 03:59:08 pm »
The color coded lower plastics look smart! :happy2:

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 10:01:24 pm »
The color coded lower plastics look smart! :happy2:

Cheers, I think I'm going to get the textured bits painted gloss black as well :happy2:

I bought and fitted an RCD510:

Fitted a new can gateway at the same time and got that coded in with help from members on here :drinking:

Not really done anything else other than clean and drive it. I noticed this earlier when checking tyre pressures though :sad1:

Going to head to the dealers tomorrow to start a warranty claim, not holding out too much hope though because even if they offer 70% goodwill I'm assuming it'll be cheaper to get it done myself. There's also some slight bubbling under the boot badge as well :sad1:

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 02:43:45 pm »
I've been very slack on updating this! Mainly because I've not really done very much to it, after spending a few thousand on the MK4 I'm enjoying having a bit of cash to spend on things other than a car!

Anyway, fitted a cherry hazard switch and GTI handle inserts:

Lowered it on a set of H&R 30mm springs:

Which came off my brother's ED30:

Both of us went to our parent's for Christmas and I couldn't resist a pic:

Also fitted some wind deflectors which you can just about see here:

Offline cicco

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 04:35:24 pm »
Lovely car you got there love the mk6 touches. your mk4 looks awesome too, i used to have one on air.
looks good on the H&R springs, what does it ride like? mines on 20mm ebiachs and would like it a little lower.

Offline samiul11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 04:47:25 pm »
Nice  :happy2:

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 05:03:14 pm »
Lovely car you got there love the mk6 touches. your mk4 looks awesome too, i used to have one on air.
looks good on the H&R springs, what does it ride like? mines on 20mm ebiachs and would like it a little lower.

Any pics of your MK4? The H&Rs ride really well, massive improvement on standard! Much tighter in the corners and less crashy on the motorway!

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 05:09:03 pm »
I know it's months since you said it, but did you sort your alarm horn? If you've run a fault scan and it hasn't showed any errors about it, chances are that someone disconnected the battery which sometimes resets a setting which disables the horn. All it needs is a quick play with VCDS to re-enable it.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 05:46:35 pm »
I know it's months since you said it, but did you sort your alarm horn? If you've run a fault scan and it hasn't showed any errors about it, chances are that someone disconnected the battery which sometimes resets a setting which disables the horn. All it needs is a quick play with VCDS to re-enable it.

Cheers, but unfortunately it shows a fault code along with all these!

1 Fault Found:
000818 - Knock Sensor 2 (G66)
               P0332 - 002 - Signal too Low - Intermittent <--- This has happened 4 times now which is slightly concerning.

1 Fault Found:
00061 - Footwell Lights
            012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit <--- Fitted LEDs and this code has appeared since.

2 Faults Found:
01552 - Motor for Central Locking; Drivers Door (V56); Lock
            012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent
00928 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220)
            008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent <--- Need to take the door skin off and look at the wiring loom

1 Fault Found:
01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)
            004 - No Signal/Communication <--- Alarm siren broken?

2 Faults Found:
01553 - Motor for Central Locking; Passenger Door (V57); Lock
            012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent
00929 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Passenger Side (F221)
            008 - Implausible Signal <--- Need to take the door skin off and look at the wiring loom

1 Fault Found:
01539 - Headlights Not Adjusted
            005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation <--- This appeared after fitting the springs.

2 Faults Found:
00821 - Antenna 2 for Radio (R93)
            011 - Open Circuit <--- I fitted the headunit without an aerial adaptor - this should now be gone.
01327 - Control Module for Parking Aid (J446)
            004 - No Signal/Communication <--- Due to the headunit thinking there's a reversing cam fitted, can't figure out how to code it out with VAGCOM

As you can see - a few codes!