Make a donation

Author Topic: Tow Eye Options....  (Read 18717 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Tow Eye Options....
« on: October 30, 2009, 04:06:33 pm »

If you do trackdays some circuits insist that you have both front and rear tow eyes fitted in the event of an emergency crew needing to move your car as quickly as possible from the cat litter or worse. I am told by racing driver Anna Walewska who currently competes in the VW Cup that this is increasingly a requirement. I suppose that it's because The Nurburgring is officially a public toll road, that they don't like you to have your front tow eye fitted there. It's not a good idea to have your front one in place for road use in case it does serious harm to someone and I expect that an insurance company would use this against you if a claim was being made.

Road cars are normally supplied with just the one tow eye and the fitting points are covered, in case you wondered what that little closed flap was in your rear bumper. On the Mk5 GTI you have to unscrew and remove the foglight panel on the drivers side.

^ Is that who I think it is? Yes it is! Mr Hurdy at Spa ^

If you have an oem rear bumper or exhaust trim it's not a problem. For the front, most people just remove the whole front foglight panel but it's not very elegant. At least on a full-on race car it's a detail which hardly matters amongst all the stickers and repair patches etc. But this does depend a bit on the class of competing car - The Ferrari's are usually far less bodged.

There are three different types of tow eyes that I am aware of : -

1 - The oem metal bar supplied with the car: VW part # 1T0 805 615 A - About £14.

2 - A hinged anodised aluminium tow eye supplied from the Far East by Cox in a range of colours.

3 - A heavy duty nylon material strap tow loop by TRS (Japan) with metal plate.

The oem bar is the most solid and dependable and threads anti-clockwise.

^ My carbonfibre panels had to be drilled ^

Although very stylish I wonder how strong the aluminium hinged one would be when subjected to whatever an emergency crew will deem as necessary - Using brute strength is often normal in those circumstances. They are supposed to take 1.5 tons but the manufacturer states they are also for show purposes! They cost over 200 US dollars!

The nylon strap by TRS is very lightweight but quickly looks dirty and faded after being exposed to weather. I don't doubt their strength as I know they have been thoroughly tested through use. The main problem with attaching these to the GTI is doing so tidily and without using additional metal hardware linkage which create weak spots.

Here are some typical race car tow loops : -

Whatever type you use, let's hope you need them as seldom as possible :driver:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 04:24:23 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Tow Eye Options....
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 08:38:59 pm »
Cheers Robin  :happy2:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 09:55:58 pm »
excellent write up RR :congrats:

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 11:02:52 pm »
Glad someone created a thread for this as it's just what i was looking for!
Sadly i think my only option is the standard tow eye's as even if i use a TRS strap i have no chance of finding what thread the standard tow eye is for me to get a bolt for it.

Offline TAPPY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,103290.0.html
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 11:55:44 pm »
Glad someone created a thread for this as it's just what i was looking for!
Sadly i think my only option is the standard tow eye's as even if i use a TRS strap i have no chance of finding what thread the standard tow eye is for me to get a bolt for it.

It's also a left handed thread

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 08:04:49 am »
Yes! I found that out the other day  :scared: