Make a donation

Author Topic: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Prepping for VagTuner  (Read 275107 times)

dansmith180

Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI, black Friday bargain
« Reply #345 on: November 27, 2015, 09:28:43 pm »
Nice upgrade! Big and light like we like them! :congrats:

R32 rear setup? New calipers and brackets aren't that expensive if you order TRW parts. Getting good pads it's what makes it a bit heavy on the wallet, in my opinion. :smiley:

Yeah I've bought pads discs and hoses for an R32 rear kit already. Problem is I bought drilled and grooved to match my current fronts but they won't match my new ones, also I can't find grooved ones with the exact same pattern and if they're different it will annoy me (OCD).

Already have some plain 282mm rear discs and I believe the braided hoses for R32 fit normal GTI's so might just try the normal rears with braided lines and good pads. Christian with the BTCC MK5 said he finds it OK with these fronts and well set up standard rears so will try that since its lighter and cheaper. Or may try the caddy rear caliper mod.

dansmith180

« Reply #346 on: November 27, 2015, 10:02:11 pm »
Ooh nice Dan..just in the process of getting the same kit..be interested to see how you get on as I believe you don't need to upgrade the master cylinder..also been told I won't need spacers

Yeah I've heard MC will be fine as they're smaller pistons and only 6 for more even pad wear otherwise would be 4 like most. Also as you said need small to no spacing on a lot of wheels so should be good. Will do a review/ comparison once they're on and I can get some miles on them.

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #347 on: November 27, 2015, 10:03:37 pm »
Yeah, good pads are the most important to balance the brakes, I've experience it in my GT Sport where I just upgraded the pads and the discs. Upgrading the discs can be important if the pads are very aggressive, it would help in the long run to keep everything running well.

Braided lines are all the same in the rear. In the front just the R32 calipers require an angled banjo end, instead of a straight banjo end.

The R32 rear setup for me has the advantage of better cooling so it will withstand more heat, nothing else, since the rear is quite light. :smiley:

dansmith180

« Reply #348 on: November 27, 2015, 10:14:13 pm »
Cheers for the info  :happy2:

I'll probably just splash on some good pads and do the braided hoses then on the standard rears.

Then time for RARB, ALK and dogbone insert, also some metal gear shift bushings.

dansmith180

« Reply #349 on: November 29, 2015, 06:42:59 pm »

Went and visited the car yesterday. The new intercooler has arrived so this one can be removed and the new one fitted. Then its just the RS4 FPRV, R8 coilpacks, boost gauge put her back together and map it then she's done. Provided there's no big hiccups I will have her back next Saturday  :jumpmove:  :jumpmove:.

Offline M9xxr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #350 on: November 29, 2015, 11:12:32 pm »
looking good! can't wait to see the results, you will have to pop over and take me out in it when its done! need to get on with mine, don't even have the car atm lol

dansmith180

« Reply #351 on: November 30, 2015, 12:01:05 am »
looking good! can't wait to see the results, you will have to pop over and take me out in it when its done! need to get on with mine, don't even have the car atm lol

Thanks mate, yeah will do  :happy2: would be nice to meet up and see yours and Jakes cars. How long is yours gonna be until its back? I saw on Instagram it's gone off for the cage and some other bits right?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #352 on: November 30, 2015, 12:05:32 am »
Love that artwork!

Interested to see the torque curve of the hybrid in comparison to a k04 bwa or eddy if you get a graph.

dansmith180

Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI, K03 hybrid complete
« Reply #353 on: December 05, 2015, 05:04:52 pm »
Car is back

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #354 on: December 05, 2015, 05:21:16 pm »
Go on, tell us more...!!

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #355 on: December 05, 2015, 06:58:30 pm »
Are them brakes on

Offline AJG09

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
  • My Ride: 2005 mk5 golf 1.6 FSI
« Reply #356 on: December 05, 2015, 10:41:57 pm »
Tell us  :rolleye:

dansmith180

« Reply #357 on: December 05, 2015, 11:47:49 pm »
Car is back

332bhp and 320lb/f

Best run was 340bhp (capable of about 345ish with tweeks he said) and 353 lb/f (capable of about 370ish with said tweeks)

What it's running now should be safe on all the parts and also a bit easier to put the power down. Was a bit dissapointed with the torque when he said the numbers but after looking at the boost plots and graphs you have to spike it fairly high and start to push the turbo and engine to their limit to reach the big numbers and I really don't fancy a rebuild anytime too soon  :rolleye:.

On the road I've done about 150 miles now 50/50 motorway and back roads. Its fantastic at both, overtaking in 6th on the motorway is easy as can be and when you play in 3rd and 4th on twisty roads and especially inclines its fabulous. The turbo hits hard low down and keeps pulling strong all the way to the top.

This was the map where with tweeks could have made big numbers and sorted the drop off at the end.

This was the best run on the current map

All I can say is that if you're number chasing and want balls out performance go K04. However if you're after a good balance and a B road beast hybrid K03 has to be considered.

dansmith180

« Reply #358 on: December 06, 2015, 12:16:54 am »
Sorry boys didn't mean to tease, I did make a long post but all that worked was 'car is back' I think its because there was an unknown emoji after it.

dansmith180

« Reply #359 on: December 06, 2015, 12:19:34 am »
Are them brakes on

Not yet mate as they're being painted red ATM since they only come in black from Forge, will probably go on in a few weeks with the rear anti roll bar and rear brake upgrades I have planned.