Make a donation

Author Topic: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Prepping for VagTuner  (Read 275108 times)

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI - soon to be BWJ powered - engine at AKS
« Reply #615 on: May 09, 2016, 05:21:17 pm »
Nothing like driving down the motorway in 2nd on the red line.  :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #616 on: May 09, 2016, 09:08:56 pm »
I probably could find out if I read the whole post, but are you having the engine built up at all? I've been considering one of these:

http://www.akstuning.co.uk/fluidampr/215-fluidampr-engine-damper-18l-20l-tsi.html

Might be worth fitting now to help the longevity of your engine..? As well as all the other stage 2+/3 pre-requirements (155 bar FPV and the likes) just so you're future proof. Because lets face it, power breeds the desire for more power.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

dansmith180

« Reply #617 on: May 09, 2016, 09:26:25 pm »
@th3_f15t

Yeah it will be having

New Cam chain and adjusters etc..
New cambelt and water pump
Runner flap delete
Injector refurb
Carbon clean
RS4 FPRV
Pressure test and some boroscope work
Turbo fully checked and new core with anti surge wheel
Stainless clutch pipe
Currently looking into DV+ and discharge pipes

Thing is I could look into everything and replace it all spending £££££ but I have to draw the line somewhere as at the end of the day its only insured for so much and I can only spend so much on it. All the above plus some Vibratechnics engine and transmission mounts along with Polar FIS+ and a PCV delete kit is basically all I need. Let's face it I don't even NEED all of that  :signLOL:. Want to get her running right but be reasonable and just enjoy it. 2017 is SPA time  :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Offline Dan648v

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39823.0.html
« Reply #618 on: May 09, 2016, 09:29:27 pm »
@th3_f15t

Yeah it will be having

Runner flap delete
Injector refurb
Carbon clean
RS4 FPRV
Stainless clutch pipe
-TTE420  :innocent:

Thing is I could look into everything and replace it all spending £££££ but I have to draw the line somewhere as at the end of the day its only insured for so much and I can only spend so much on it. All the above plus some Vibratechnics engine and transmission mounts along with Polar FIS+ and a PCV delete kit is basically all I need. Let's face it I don't even NEED all of that  :signLOL:. Want to get her running right but be reasonable and just enjoy it. 2017 is SPA time  :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
Revo Stage 2+ Edition 30 No.1089 with added carbon

dansmith180

« Reply #619 on: May 09, 2016, 09:39:01 pm »
@th3_f15t

Yeah it will be having

Runner flap delete
Injector refurb
Carbon clean
RS4 FPRV
Stainless clutch pipe
-TTE420  :innocent:

:slap:  :signLOL:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #620 on: May 09, 2016, 09:53:37 pm »
With my project, I've found making a decided plan early on and sticking to it is the best way. I drew up the modifications and paths I wanted to take between phases from very early on, probably started to before I even bought my 6R if I'm honest! By doing that, I managed to bag some tasty bargains, but I'm reaching the point where almost everything is sourced now so it's reaching a state where I'm happy to just enjoy it.

dansmith180

« Reply #621 on: May 09, 2016, 10:07:49 pm »
With my project, I've found making a decided plan early on and sticking to it is the best way. I drew up the modifications and paths I wanted to take between phases from very early on, probably started to before I even bought my 6R if I'm honest! By doing that, I managed to bag some tasty bargains, but I'm reaching the point where almost everything is sourced now so it's reaching a state where I'm happy to just enjoy it.

Yeah that is the best way, my problem has been underestimating how far I will go and have ended up doing it twice, if I took all the money from both builds and started again I probably wouldn't be far off a forged engine with TTE420  :doh:

But no point dwelling on that and just making the best of what I've got now. Got the engine cheap and as long as Alex doesn't uncover any nasty suprises it should all be together relatively easily and cheaply. Then once its done its done for all the big bits and I can have full confidence in the car again.

Things will always break but there isn't much left that's not little bits here and there

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #622 on: May 09, 2016, 11:45:01 pm »
Would you recommend replacing the cam chain and tensioner when going K04? or is it just for a piece of mind? I have a 05 axx which has done 107,000. I'd say it has been maintained relatively well.

dansmith180

« Reply #623 on: May 09, 2016, 11:57:32 pm »
Would you recommend replacing the cam chain and tensioner when going K04? or is it just for a piece of mind? I have a 05 axx which has done 107,000. I'd say it has been maintained relatively well.

Well worth doing to be honest. Mine seemed fine before I did the hybrid turbo at nearly the exact same miles you're on and 5k later it sounds FUBAR'd. For piece of mind I would do it.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=qj0smakha2kbj7749uioca4p76&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #624 on: May 10, 2016, 12:01:36 am »

Also check your intake cam. If it's the Rev. A then change it for the latest version

dansmith180

« Reply #625 on: May 14, 2016, 07:06:15 pm »
So the car is now with AKS.
I've bought some Chinese hi-flow discharge and inlet pipework.
Also some (road) vibratechnics engine and gearbox mounts will be going on
R-tech PCV delete
Braided clutch pipe
And if all goes well Polar FIS+

Yes you will notice that I have put stickers on my door which most if not all if you will hate  :signLOL:, I felt it was too boring and decided to try this to see if I like it and I'm still on two minds although I like it more than a thought I would actually. As a bonus they've added 50bhp  :jumping:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI - soon to be BWJ powered - car at AKS
« Reply #626 on: May 14, 2016, 07:26:53 pm »
Look good man, but you need some proper Recaro seats now, so your sticker doesn't look so out of place. Just sayin'...

dansmith180

« Reply #627 on: May 14, 2016, 07:51:40 pm »
Look good man, but you need some proper Recaro seats now, so your sticker doesn't look so out of place. Just sayin'...

Stop bullying me  :slap:  :laugh:

Hopefully at some point mate

Offline Dan648v

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39823.0.html
« Reply #628 on: May 14, 2016, 08:43:46 pm »
Got a link on the Chinese pipes dan....
Revo Stage 2+ Edition 30 No.1089 with added carbon

dansmith180

« Reply #629 on: May 14, 2016, 08:51:09 pm »
Got a link on the Chinese pipes dan....

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261675948859&alt=web

I contacted them direct and if you ask for quicker shipping then they said of you pay full price then they will send it DHL so won't take too long. Just send them a message asking about it  :happy2:

I know I said 'them/ they' way to many times  :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 08:54:13 pm by dansmith180 »