Make a donation

Author Topic: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Prepping for VagTuner  (Read 275108 times)

Offline Dan648v

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39823.0.html
Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI BWJ converted - Vag Tuner
« Reply #735 on: July 11, 2016, 07:00:43 am »
Looked like a good day! Wish it wash closer
Revo Stage 2+ Edition 30 No.1089 with added carbon

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #736 on: July 11, 2016, 11:38:51 pm »
That's a lovely looking LCR can you show me a picture of the dash please  :signLOL:

Haha, I did actually try as the white one has a fantastic wheel but it was just a reflection of my ugly face. I like the wheel and seats in the K1 Cupra a lot but I much prefer the clocks/centre/ dash of the MK5 but I think the Cupra is far more about the drive and lacks a bit of the refinement that the MK5 and S3 get.
I was actually being serious here  :doh: Yes the wheels and seats are nice but I'm sure the dash area is poop imho.

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #737 on: August 06, 2016, 11:45:05 pm »
Hey Dan,

Just read your build thread start to finish. Taken me quite a few hours :happy2:
Absolutely love all the transitions the car has been through! Class!

I really liked the Merc wheels in black with the red centres :happy2: But I think overall the stance with the TD's looks the best now :smiley:

Can't wait to see how you get on with the mapping. Due any day now?

I'm about to go K04 on my AXX - so I'm a bit nervous and will be interested to see how your BWJ motor performs :evilgrin:

What's the main difference between AXX and BWJ? I don't know much about the BWJ :ashamed:

Cheers mate,
Dave
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 11:47:04 pm by ducman77 »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #738 on: August 07, 2016, 12:01:28 am »
^ BWJ is the Edition 30 engine. Stronger internals than the AXX or BWA k03 engines, and a lower compression ratio.

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #739 on: August 07, 2016, 08:59:50 am »
^ BWJ is the Edition 30 engine. Stronger internals than the AXX or BWA k03 engines, and a lower compression ratio.

I think the BWJ is actually the cupra engine iirc, BYD is ed30 code. Also iirc the BWJ has better compression than AXX or BWA not sure about stronger internals
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 09:02:02 am by fab5freddy »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #740 on: August 07, 2016, 09:28:33 am »
I stand corrected!

If it's a k04 engine it'll have lower compression.

dansmith180

« Reply #741 on: August 07, 2016, 10:47:33 am »
Hey Dan,

Just read your build thread start to finish. Taken me quite a few hours :happy2:
Absolutely love all the transitions the car has been through! Class!

I really liked the Merc wheels in black with the red centres :happy2: But I think overall the stance with the TD's looks the best now :smiley:

Can't wait to see how you get on with the mapping. Due any day now?

I'm about to go K04 on my AXX - so I'm a bit nervous and will be interested to see how your BWJ motor performs :evilgrin:

What's the main difference between AXX and BWJ? I don't know much about the BWJ :ashamed:

Cheers mate,
Dave

Thanks very much mate. Basically the BWJ lump is K04'd Cupra lump from stock so has bigger injectors, lower compression ratio and stronger internals along with the bigger turbo. They've been proven to handle 400bhp+ all day long which is why I went for one as I plan to abuse it and want reliability.

Basically the BWJ/ BYD and CDL lumps are all the same except I think theres as small tweak on the CDL that allows for slightly improved fueling so technically that's the best one. The BHZ which the first gen of 8P S3's came with wasn't great although still decent.

She got dropped off for mapping yesterday and will hopefully be back in a week  :jumpmove: :jumpmove:

dansmith180

« Reply #742 on: August 07, 2016, 11:03:55 am »
So it's been a while since I've updated as the car has mostly been sat on the drive dirty and my time has been taken up with something else for the last couple of months.

I bought some track/ slag wheels off a mate last weekend.

Nothing too special but they were cheap, strong and wrapped in Federal RSR's

But as usual there's an issue

Loads of room behind the spokes

Just clears the barrel (a bit tight for my liking tbh with the heat they will be under)

Along comes Mr wheel weight to ruin the party. Due to the shape I might be able to have them re-balanced much further back but tbh it's a bit close anyways and was as usual an impulse purchase. So looking to sell and maybe just do a track day at Bedford on 19th September using my PS4's as it'll just be a bedding in session anyways

Dropped the car off at R-tech yesterday who unfortunately were closed so I'll be speaking to Niki on Monday I believe.

POV shot of where the magic happens  :rolleye:

So now she's just waiting to have all the horses packed in and hopefully doesn't bloody break anything.

dansmith180

Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI BWJ converted - now at R-tech
« Reply #743 on: August 07, 2016, 11:18:24 am »
OH WAIT

I totally forgot I had a full exhaust fitted aswell  :doh: :doh:

On July 18th I went to EMP for a full 3" turbo back exhaust as mine was pants.

First of all they had a very very very nice waiting room

The exhaust wasnt too bad either  :signLOL:

Looks amazing and sounds great too. It's virtually silent on the motorway but nuts when you get on it. Only issue is at the moment I have a really annoying and quite loud rattle when engaging forward gears and driving under 1500rpm's which I suspect is the exhaust and Vibratechnics mounts not making good friends so need to take it back to be looked at soon but that's not their fault really.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #744 on: August 07, 2016, 12:16:53 pm »
Liking the new exhaust! :happy2:

Not sure about the Vibratechnics bushes... Dog bone, right? I have them with my BCS Powervalve and it's fine. :confused:

Hope you get that sorted soon and the BWJ remapped. :evilgrin:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=qj0smakha2kbj7749uioca4p76&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #745 on: August 07, 2016, 12:20:28 pm »
If your wheel fitter/balancer knows what he is doing then you can have the weights placed in the centre of the barrels. I had to have this done.

dansmith180

« Reply #746 on: August 07, 2016, 12:39:49 pm »
Liking the new exhaust! :happy2:

Not sure about the Vibratechnics bushes... Dog bone, right? I have them with my BCS Powervalve and it's fine. :confused:

Hope you get that sorted soon and the BWJ remapped. :evilgrin:

I have all 4 mounts so subframe, dog bone, gearbox and engine which is why there's a bit more vibration.

If your wheel fitter/balancer knows what he is doing then you can have the weights placed in the centre of the barrels. I had to have this done.

Yeah I could get it sorted but it's so close even without the weights so I don't really want to. The problem is half way through the wheel the barrel steps up and gets thicker so the back half would clear fine and the front half it tight as balls.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #747 on: August 07, 2016, 12:56:41 pm »
I see. I hope you get it sorted easily. :smiley:

dansmith180

« Reply #748 on: August 07, 2016, 01:03:53 pm »

Cheers buddy  :happy2:

Glad to see you got your AC sorted in the end. That looked like a right pain

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #749 on: August 07, 2016, 01:10:01 pm »

Cheers buddy  :happy2:

Glad to see you got your AC sorted in the end. That looked like a right pain
Yeah, it's too hot to drive without the AC working... So far it's making a nice cold air.  :smiley: