Make a donation

Author Topic: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Prepping for VagTuner  (Read 275100 times)

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI, MK7 GTI steering wheel fitted 02/08/15
« Reply #240 on: August 03, 2015, 05:40:42 pm »
I like your new steering wheel, but I find too modern for the rest of the interior... Now you need to update your HU and AC panel. :P

Is it possible to make almost all the switches work? What would you need for that? :smiley:

dansmith180

« Reply #241 on: August 03, 2015, 05:44:27 pm »
I like your new steering wheel, but I find too modern for the rest of the interior... Now you need to update your HU and AC panel. :P

Is it possible to make almost all the switches work? What would you need for that? :smiley:

Thanks, yeah I know what you mean it is quite obviously different, thing is I don't like any of the MK6 interior parts and the MK7 stuff is not an easy swap. I don't know what exactly is required to make all the buttons work but TUK customs told someone I know it would be about £400 - £500 to get it all working.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #242 on: August 03, 2015, 05:49:10 pm »
400-500 £ seems a bit steep just to make buttons to work. Are there any DIY retrofit guides online? Maybe you can do it cheaper with the help of some of the retrofitters of the forum. :confused:

dansmith180

« Reply #243 on: August 03, 2015, 06:24:01 pm »
400-500 £ seems a bit steep just to make buttons to work. Are there any DIY retrofit guides online? Maybe you can do it cheaper with the help of some of the retrofitters of the forum. :confused:

Quite possibly could, I didn't see anything online but doesn't mean it can't be done, I don't like butttos though so doesn't bother me at all. Its nicer to drive and look at so I'm happy  :grin:.

Probably going to strip the car out within a year also so I'm not too fussy about interior upgrades.

Offline clemo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #244 on: August 10, 2015, 08:36:49 am »
Build looks great mate , i se you have just sports CAT and straight through .. is that pretty loud and how does that work with MOT emissions ??

Cheers

dansmith180

« Reply #245 on: August 10, 2015, 09:52:45 am »
Build looks great mate , i se you have just sports CAT and straight through .. is that pretty loud and how does that work with MOT emissions ??

Cheers

Thanks mate, its not straight through it has 1 silencer in the tunnel so its not overly loud. It has a nice rumble on idle and is obviously louder than standard but isn't OTT, makes some great noises on full throttle and some crackles low down.

Emissions wise it passed its last MOT with no issues since it still has the precat and sports cat is 200cel, I think race cats can have issues since they're 100cel but sports cats are fine usually.

Offline basman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #246 on: August 10, 2015, 10:20:15 pm »

Quite possibly could, I didn't see anything online but doesn't mean it can't be done, I don't like butttos though so doesn't bother me at all. Its nicer to drive and look at so I'm happy  :grin:.

Nice wheel :drool:i wanted one but pain to fit speak to TIM @ The Phirm he's knows his stuff he's done this work before and is reasonably priced too

Probably going to strip the car out within a year also so I'm not too fussy about interior upgrades.

dansmith180

« Reply #247 on: August 10, 2015, 11:34:13 pm »

Nice wheel :drool:i wanted one but pain to fit speak to TIM @ The Phirm he's knows his stuff he's done this work before and is reasonably priced too

Cheers, hopefully the new module will fix the horn but if not I might give him a call and see if he's got any ideas  :happy2:

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #248 on: August 11, 2015, 11:22:10 pm »
Interested to see what you've done with the steering wheel  :happy2:

dansmith180

Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI, Gearknob back from trimming 14/08/15
« Reply #249 on: August 14, 2015, 02:50:40 pm »
So bought an ED30 gear knob from @mvb12 thanks again Marv, pleasure as usual.

Bit tatty around the edges but exactly what I was after, sent it off to Joe at Trim deluxe who I would highly recommend. And it cam e back like this.

It looks quite light but it's a darker shade of red and matched the steering wheel very well.

Really brightens up the interior. I love the MK5 interior but its a bit dull as standard.

Offline Gaj0801

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #250 on: September 22, 2015, 11:41:10 am »
Looking good Dan :)...have you got the buttons to work yet?
Mk5 Golf GTI|3DR|LC9Z|Black Magic|Ko4 converted|350+bhp|AmD Tuned|Manual -SOLD

EDITION 30|3DR|Steel Grey|Manual|#1429 -SOLD

M3|E92|Alpine White|Manual

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #251 on: September 22, 2015, 12:07:35 pm »
Red handbrake cover to match and red trim instead of the aluminium effect? Would certainly break up the dull interior a bit. Perhaps even look at getting red seat belts installed too, a nice little OE improvement..?

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

dansmith180

« Reply #252 on: October 03, 2015, 11:59:55 pm »
Looking good Dan :)...have you got the buttons to work yet?

Thanks mate, no not interested in making the buttons work as its £300+ and I don't even like them.

Red handbrake cover to match and red trim instead of the aluminium effect? Would certainly break up the dull interior a bit. Perhaps even look at getting red seat belts installed too, a nice little OE improvement..?

I like the handbrake idea but seatbelts might be a bit too much for me tbh, could work though, think I would have to see them to decide.

dansmith180

Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI, updated 04/10/15
« Reply #253 on: October 04, 2015, 12:15:17 am »
So haven't been on much recently as the Forum was really playing up and wouldn't let me make posts or load pages sometimes for a while but seems to be working now. Not much has changed really, horn still doesn't work after trying a few things so need to take it somewhere to be sorted and has developed a loud whoshing sound under load I need to find the cause of.

Managed to get away with only a 2 week driving ban and £415 in fines/ costs for this

Tried to help revive a friend

Gave it a full exterior detail whilst it was off the road although I didn't take many photos

Also gave it a full service including:
.oil and filter change
.new pollen filter
.new spark plugs
.bled brakes
.new rev g diverter valve
.inspection service
.new rear suspension arms
.couple of random checks and bits
.4 wheel alignment

Offline Gti_Mad

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 40
Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI, updated 04/10/15
« Reply #254 on: October 04, 2015, 12:15:53 pm »
Saw this yesterday at the nem meet in battersea I was in the silver golf R n with the White S3 parked next to ya cars mint mate not a swirl in sight

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current